PDA

View Full Version : More about the background of The Merchant of Venice

Blue Sea
04-07-2010, 05:42 PM
hi,
I need to read more about the background of the days in which Shakespeare wrote this play
any Web sites recommended or books

thank you
Blue Sea

janesmith
04-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Hi. Not sure about websites but when I studied this play I really found the film starring Al Pacino as Shylock interesting. It helped to give a general impression of Venetian life at least.

Aravona
04-08-2010, 10:38 AM
I saw this as a fringe play a few summers ago. I had actually never read this particular play and found it fascintating. And have also visited Venice itself.

As for background your looking at late 1590s for this play (rough guessing from a few sites but all within this region) I'd suggest if you read wikipedia, dont take what it says to heart unless you find several other sources to back it up but theres often some info in there worth reading. Most of what google brings up will be art related though. Amazon has a few books but theres not really any I'd suggest just see which is in the most specified region for what you're after.

johnw1
04-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Just do a search on Google Books and there will be tons of stuff...

Blue Sea
04-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Hi. Not sure about websites but when I studied this play I really found the film starring Al Pacino as Shylock interesting. It helped to give a general impression of Venetian life at least.
Well, I already have got the movie and I am going to watch it
The problem is that i need something that is more academic as I am studying this play in a really academic way
So, I have to read the play and then find out what everything meant in Shakespear days, you know like when they have fears about the ships of Antonio that is because pirates were very active these days

Thanks for answering me

Blue Sea
04-08-2010, 03:18 PM
I saw this as a fringe play a few summers ago. I had actually never read this particular play and found it fascintating. And have also visited Venice itself.

As for background your looking at late 1590s for this play (rough guessing from a few sites but all within this region) I'd suggest if you read wikipedia, dont take what it says to heart unless you find several other sources to back it up but theres often some info in there worth reading. Most of what google brings up will be art related though. Amazon has a few books but theres not really any I'd suggest just see which is in the most specified region for what you're after.
That was helpful :)
Thanks alot

Blue Sea
04-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Just do a search on Google Books and there will be tons of stuff...
That would be a way :)

I was just wondering if you can recommend me something
Well, thanks anyway