PDA

View Full Version : National Anthems and Patriotic Songs

L.M. The Third
03-11-2010, 12:34 AM
It's probably rather strange, but besides "my own" national anthem, "O Canada", I'm crazy for the American one. At the least I sing "The Star Spangled Banner" several times a week, at the most a couple of times in a day. (Sorry to my fellow Canadians. I know Canada is superior:smilewinkgrin: - the US anthem is just kind of catchy.)

Anthems/Patriotic songs I've got memorized:
"The Star Spangled Banner", "O Canada" (The old, four verse, version), "America the Beautiful", "My Country Tis of Thee", "Battle Hymn of the Republic" (Is that considered a patriotic song? I know 6 verses) "God Save the Queen", "I Vow to Thee, My Country", "Jerusalem" (Or "And Did Those Feet?" You all know, by William Blake)

So, do you know your anthem by heart?? And, if not from the US or Canada, give us a few lines, or a link, to your anthem!

And do you know other country's anthems?

BienvenuJDC
03-11-2010, 12:45 AM
Yes, I know the Star Spangled Banner...and I know the history behind it. My family took several trips to Fort McHenry where it was written by Francis Scott Key.

OrphanPip
03-11-2010, 12:46 AM
Haha, I don't know about singing a national anthem several times a day.

I like the tune of "La Marseillaise," the French anthem, but the lyrics are morbid.

Aux armes citoyens,
formez vos bataillon.
Marchons! Marchons!
Qu'un sang impur,
Abreuve nos silons.

approximate translation:

To arms citizens
form your batallions.
March! March!
So that impure blood
will soak our fields.

I don't identify politically with the Quebec Separatist, but I've always been fond of their unofficial national anthem, "Gens du Pays".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdf9aqRk--0

Edit: Also, since you're Canadian L.M.

Gordon Lightfoot's "Canadian Railroad Trilogy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzo6Otpgj-E

L.M. The Third
03-11-2010, 01:03 AM
Haha, I don't know about singing a national anthem several times a day.

I like the tune of "La Marseillaise," the French anthem, but the lyrics are morbid.

Aux armes citoyens,
formez vos bataillon.
Marchons! Marchons!
Qu'un sang impur,
Abreuve nos silons.

approximate translation:

To arms citizens
form your batallions.
March! March!
So that impure blood
will soak our fields.

Hey! I don't meanto sing it so much! It's kind of like an expression, I say, "O say, can you see" about something, and then I get the song in my head. It is silly, and I'll get over it on my next trip to the States - where I'll see 20 flags for every one here in Canada, and I'll get tired of song and flag.

I'm going to have to check out the tune of the French one - the words scared me off!
I'd meant to post a poll with this, but clicked "post" before I meant to.

DanielBenoit
03-11-2010, 01:10 AM
I'm not much of a very patriotic guy admittingly, mainly because American culture has so dominated global culture (to more or less extents) that our cultural uniqueness is somewhat hard to distinguish, especially since much of our culture is derivative of European and more recently, Central American culture (which then again is derivative of European culture).

I suppose whatever is "American" is more easily identified by those outside the country, which is probably why American citizens who travel outside the country begin to develop a better sense of their "Americanism" because they are put in contrast with different cultures and nationalities.

Either way, back to the main point, I especially like the French anthem "La Marseillaise" which I find to be the most emotionally powerful of so many of the other national anthems, and one that I could listen to without consciously thinking of it as a national anthem.

Of course in my opinion I think the best performance of this anthem was in Casablanca, which I, being a fan of the movie, admittingly shred somewhat of a little tear whenever I hear it (go ahead, call me corny). Partly for the power of the song and partly how the perfect acting and facial expressions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM-E2H1ChJM

OrphanPip
03-11-2010, 01:17 AM
Yes, I know the Star Spangled Banner...and I know the history behind it. My family took several trips to Fort McHenry where it was written by Francis Scott Key.

The War of 1812 is an interesting war in the history of Canada and the USA as it has historically been spun as a victory for both sides. It played a major part in developing a sense of patriotic nationalism in both Canada and the USA.

A Canadian song written after the capture of Detroit in the War of 1812

Come all you brave Canadians

I'd have you lend an ear
Unto a simple ditty
That will your spirits cheer,

Concerning an engagement
We had at Sandwich town―
The courage of those Yankee boys
So bravely we pulled down.

Their purpose to invade us
Was to kill and to destroy
To distress our wives and children
And cause us much annoy.

Our countrymen were filled
With sorrow, grief and woe
To think that they would fall
By an unnatural foe.

At length our bold commander
Sir Isaac Brock by name
Took shipping at Niagara
And unto York he came.

He said: “My valiant heroes,
Will you go along with me
To fight those Yankee boys
In the west of Canady.”

“O yes,” we all replied,
“We'll go along with you
Our knapsacks on our back
And make no more ado.”

Our fire-locks then we shouldered
And straight we marched away
With firm determination
To shew them British play.

Yes our fire-locks we shouldered
Forward our course to steer
To meet and fight the invader
With neither dread nor fear.

At Sandwich we arrived
Each man with his supply
With bold determination
To conquer or to die.

Our general sent a flag
And thus to them did say:
“Surrender now your garrison
Or I'll fire on you this day.”

Our troops then marched over
Our artillery we did land
And marched straight upon their town
Like an undaunted band.

They refused to surrender
They chose to stand their ground
We opened then our guns
And gave them fire all around.

The Yankee boys began to fear
And their blood to run cold
To see us marching forward
So courageous and bold.

Their general sent a flag of truce
For quarter then they call:
“Hold your hand, brave British boys,
I fear you'll slay us all.”

“Our town is at your command
Our garrison likewise.”
They brought their arms and grounded them
Right down before our eyes.

And they were all made prisoners
On board of ship they went
And from the town of Sandwich
To Quebec they were sent.

We guarded them from Sandwich
Safe down unto Fort George
And them within the town of York
So safely we did lodge.

And we're arrived at home
Each man without a wound
And the fame of this great conquest
Will through the province sound.

Success unto the volunteers
Who thus their rights maintain
Lifewise their bold commander
Sir Isaac Brock by name.

And being all united
This is the song we'll sing
Success unto Great Britain
And may God Save the King.

Edit: It's a bit of a silly propaganda driven song haha.

Hurricane
03-11-2010, 01:18 AM
I like the "Star Spangled Banner" a lot, but it's almost impossible for me to sing. "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" is a great song when sung properly. I get shivers down my spine from parts of it.
Also, I have to admit that I really love the Russian National Anthem.

MarkBastable
03-11-2010, 03:23 AM
Vonnegut described The Star-Spangled Banner as "gibberish sprinkled with question marks” - and though I tend to agree with him, I have to say that it's only the question marks that distinguish the US National Anthem from everyone else's. They're all pretty painful. The problem, I think, is that it's very difficult to write a convincing lyric of which the theme is "we're the best - even God thinks so". Spain has neatly solved this problem by having no lyrics at all - with the added benefit that their footballers don't have to stand in line doing goldfish impressions before the start of each international match.

The tunes tend to be pretty wearisome too. God Save the Queen is funereal - though that hasn't stopped at least two other countries using it. The Star-Spangled Banner starts off quite sprightly but by the twilight's last gleaming it has become a plod. La Marseillaise has a bit of hip about it, but I suspect that's because an entire generation hears the opening bars and makes a habitual segue into All You Need Is Love.

Many countries have what you might call an unofficial National Anthem. Australia's seems to be Waltzing Matilda. England (as opposed to the UK) has a fondness for Jerusalem - perhaps because it suggests not only that God is on our side, but also that Jesus rented an apartment for a while in one of the more grimy parts of Bradford.

TheFifthElement
03-11-2010, 04:26 AM
Many countries have what you might call an unofficial National Anthem. Australia's seems to be Waltzing Matilda. England (as opposed to the UK) has a fondness for Jerusalem - perhaps because it suggests not only that God is on our side, but also that Jesus rented an apartment for a while in one of the more grimy parts of Bradford.
:lol: :lol:

That's so true. I'd bet more people in England know the words to Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory than God Save the Queen. What we owe to Last Night of the Proms eh? And let's be honest, they're a bit more uplifting than the National Dirge.

Lokasenna
03-11-2010, 04:53 AM

Possibly this is because God Save the Queen has a rather dirge-like quality, while Jerusalem, Land of Hope and Glory and Rule Britannia are just so much more fun to sing. And of course, there's the majesty of I Vow To Thee, My Country.

JuniperWoolf
03-11-2010, 05:14 AM
Many countries have what you might call an unofficial National Anthem.

Here's Canada's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNy_0lxnUIc&feature=related

MarkBastable
03-11-2010, 06:05 AM
:lol: :lol:

That's so true. I'd bet more people in England know the words to Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory than God Save the Queen. What we owe to Last Night of the Proms eh? And let's be honest, they're a bit more uplifting than the National Dirge.

I'd bet that more people think they know the words to Land of Hope and Glory than God Save the Queen, but if pushed it'd be a confident opener...

Land of Hope and Glory! Mother of the Free!

..followed by a tentative couple of phrases...

How shall we er..toll thee, who is bum-ti theeee!

...descending into a shambles of random syllables...

Something still and er..tum tum tum-ti banners set..
er...la-la-la-la-LAAAAA-la - tum tum mightier YET!!!

Me, I think we should go for the Kinks' Victoria (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2GHlcwlT1Y&feature=related).

Or Autumn Almanac (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3AMWc6t3cc&feature=related).

Or Shangri-La (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4DJ9YUYshE&feature=related).

Or The Village Green Preservation Society (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32LZJeLuKtE).

Come to think of it, almost any middle-period Ray Davies song would do - but Victoria (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2GHlcwlT1Y&feature=related) is right on the money for a British National Anthem - it manages to be simultaneously proud, self-deprecating and parodic - and that, if you want my opinion, is what typifies the British. (Apart, obviously, from small-mindedness, apathy, snide negativity and a talent for pettifogging compromise.)

Long ago life was clean.
Sex was bad and obscene
And the rich were so mean.
Stately homes for the Lords,
Croquet lawns, village greens -
Victoria was my queen.

Victoria!

I was born - lucky me -
In a land that I love.
Though I'm poor, I am free.
When I grow I shall fight.
For this land I shall die.
Let her sun never set.

Victoria!

Canada to India,
Australia to Cornwall,
Singapore to Hong Kong,
From the West to the East,
From the rich to the poor -
Victoria loved them all

Victoria!

There's a large contingent of music historians who insist that the verb in the last line is actually f**ked - and I can see an argument for using that version, not least because it would cheer up state funerals.

sixsmith
03-11-2010, 07:09 AM

Advance Australia Fair is truly a national disgrace. '... our home is girt by sea.' Girt. Pocket thesaurus written all over it. 'Girt. That'll fly.'

Lokasenna
03-11-2010, 07:53 AM
I'd bet that more people think they know the words to Land of Hope and Glory than God Save the Queen, but if pushed it'd be a confident opener...

Land of Hope and Glory! Mother of the Free!

..followed by a tentative couple of phrases...

How shall we er..toll thee, who is bum-ti theeee!

...descending into a shambles of random syllables...

Something still and er..tum tum tum-ti banners set..
er...la-la-la-la-LAAAAA-la - tum tum mightier YET!!!

This is beautifully sent-up by Terry Pratchett, who gives us the National Anthem of Ankh-Morpork, We Can Rule You Wholesale, whose fictional composer anticipated that people would not be able to remeber it beyond the first verse, and so actually had the second verse as a load of incoherent muttering...

"When dragons belch and hippos flee
My thoughts, Ankh-Morpork, are of thee
Let others boast of martial dash
For we have boldly fought with cash
We own all your helmets, we own all your shoes
We own all your generals - touch us and you'll lose.
Morporkia! Morporkia!
Morporkia owns the day!
We can rule you wholesale
Touch us and you'll pay.

We bankrupt all invaders, we sell them souvenirs
We ner ner ner ner ner, hner ner hner by the ears
Er hner we ner ner ner ner ner
Ner ner her ner ner ner hner the ner
Er ner ner hner ner, nher hner ner ner (etc.)
Ner hner ner, your gleaming swords
We mortgaged to the hilt
Morporkia! Morporkia!
Hner ner ner ner ner ner
We can rule you wholesale
Credit where it's due."

Hurricane
03-11-2010, 12:57 PM
The War of 1812 is an interesting war in the history of Canada and the USA as it has historically been spun as a victory for both sides. It played a major part in developing a sense of patriotic nationalism in both Canada and the USA.

A Canadian song written after the capture of Detroit in the War of 1812

What's funny about it is that most Americans probably couldn't tell you the origins of "The Star Spangled Banner" (drinking song, War of 1812, Fort McHenry), even though it's obviously a very famous song, or much about the War of 1812* at all. It's kind of overshadowed by the Revolution and forgotten, which is unfortunate since it was in many ways a turning point in American history.

*And sorry about that whole border dispute thing. You can take Detroit. Seriously, please, for the love of God, take Detroit.

Madhuri
03-13-2010, 05:39 AM
This is India's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh26zOjIh9I

This is a more detailed version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftD3gDA-5S0

It is to be sung in 52 seconds, but as they have made a video of the national anthem, it is longer. In the beginning is the music only and then is the song with the music. The performers are renowned musicians, classical and folk singers from across the country.

Virgil
03-13-2010, 10:15 AM
It's probably rather strange, but besides "my own" national anthem, "O Canada", I'm crazy for the American one. At the least I sing "The Star Spangled Banner" several times a week, at the most a couple of times in a day. (Sorry to my fellow Canadians. I know Canada is superior:smilewinkgrin: - the US anthem is just kind of catchy.)

Anthems/Patriotic songs I've got memorized:
"The Star Spangled Banner", "O Canada" (The old, four verse, version), "America the Beautiful", "My Country Tis of Thee", "Battle Hymn of the Republic" (Is that considered a patriotic song? I know 6 verses) "God Save the Queen", "I Vow to Thee, My Country", "Jerusalem" (Or "And Did Those Feet?" You all know, by William Blake)

So, do you know your anthem by heart?? And, if not from the US or Canada, give us a few lines, or a link, to your anthem!

And do you know other country's anthems?
Now this is an interesting thought. National Anthems are rather beautiful. It's hard to find translations of those not in English, so I probably don't know many. When I have heard the melodies of other countries anthems, I have been particularly struck at their beauty. I'm a sucker for national pride, and I hope everyone has pride in their country and culture.

As to knowing the words to the Star Spangled Banner, yes I do know them, with the caveat that I always seem to get stuck at one line about 3/4 of the way through. I can certainly sing along with no problem, but I do miss that line if I'm singing alone. :wink5:

This is India's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh26zOjIh9I

This is a more detailed version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftD3gDA-5S0

It is to be sung in 52 seconds, but as they have made a video of the national anthem, it is longer. In the beginning is the music only and then is the song with the music. The performers are renowned musicians, classical and folk singers from across the country.

That's beautiful! I love the melody. I have no idea what the words say, but loved it as a piece of music.

L.M. The Third
04-21-2010, 10:46 AM
I have to vindicate my sanity, even if it means resurrecting an old and boring thread. My time of breaking into the US national anthem was a passing phrase, with the anthem being the then current song playing in my head. I'm coming to realize how annoying it is when people are always singing the same song. There is a song which I once loved, which is being sung at our church ad nauseam. As church pianist I think I'll go on strike from playing it!

Niamh
04-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Like many of my fellow Irish, i havent a clue what the words to my national anthem are but gladly bumble away to it when its played. here are the lyrics

Sinne Fianna Fáil
A tá fé gheall ag Éirinn,
buion dár slua
Thar toinn do ráinig chugainn,
Fé mhóid bheith saor.
Sean tír ár sinsir feasta
Ní fhagfar fé'n tiorán ná fé'n tráil
Anocht a théam sa bhearna bhaoil,
Le gean ar Ghaeil chun báis nó saoil
Le guna screach fé lámhach na bpiléar
Seo libh canaídh Amhrán na bhFiann.

Cois bánta réidhe, ar árdaibh sléibhe,
Ba bhuachach ár sinsir romhainn,
Ag lámhach go tréan fé'n sár-bhrat séin
Tá thuas sa ghaoith go seolta
Ba dhúchas riamh d'ár gcine cháidh
Gan iompáil siar ó imirt áir,
'S ag siúl mar iad i gcoinne námhad
Seo libh, canaídh Amhrán na bhFiann.

In saying that, i know the anthem Irelands Call which is sung for our rugby because our team is from north and south of the border. :)

Come the day and come the hour
Come the power and the glory
We have come to answer
Our Country's call
From the four proud provinces of Ireland

Ireland, Ireland
Together standing tall
Shoulder to shoulder
We'll answer Ireland's call

From the mighty Glens of Antrim
From the rugged hills of Galway
From the walls of Limerick
And Dublin Bay

Ireland, Ireland
Together standing tall
Shoulder to shoulder

Hearts of steel
And heads unbowing
Vowing never to be broken
We will fight, until
We can fight no more

Ireland, Ireland
Together standing tall
Shoulder to shoulder

Lokasenna
04-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Believe me Niamh, I can empathise. I always dread it when my fellow Welshies feel the need to sing our monstrosity of an anthem:

Pennill Cyntaf - First stanza)

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri;
Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra mâd,
Dros ryddid collasant eu gwaed.

(Cytgan - Chorus)

Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
Tra môr yn fur i'r bur hoff bau,
O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau.

(Ail Bennill - Second stanza)

Hen Gymru fynyddig, paradwys y bardd,
Pob dyffryn, pob clogwyn, i'm golwg sydd hardd;
Trwy deimlad gwladgarol, mor swynol yw si
Ei nentydd, afonydd, i mi.

(Cytgan - Chorus)

(Trydydd Pennill - Third stanza)

Os treisiodd y gelyn fy ngwlad tan ei droed,
Mae hen iaith y Cymry mor fyw ag erioed,
Ni luddiwyd yr awen gan erchyll law brad,
Na thelyn berseiniol fy ngwlad.

(Cytgan - Chorus)

I just smile and mumble - that seems to be sufficient! To quote Dylan Thomas on it: "The land of my fathers? My fathers can have it!"

Niamh
04-29-2010, 07:21 AM
And I though mine was bad! :p hehehe The mumbling thing seems to be accepted over here too. Once you know the tune to nanananana along to you're grand! :D
I like Irelands Call for what it stands for.

Taliesin
04-30-2010, 06:37 AM
As for Estonia, this is theofficial one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjQRRU_fi0o). I guess it is OK, but I am not very keen on it, since it uses the same tune as the Finnish one and the lyrics could really be better. I always feel a bit embarrassed when singing it - it just feels so damned archaic, naive, sentimental and clumsy. And you're supposed to like it since it's the damn anthem - how dare you criticize it, you rootless traitor!

Personally, I much prefer the unofficial one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34mYlYkzPVU&feature=related), - when Estonia was occupied by the USSR, the official anthem was banned from the song festivals so this song became the unofficial anthem, being the last song of the festival. Both the lyrics and the music are much better, but alas, since the first one is the traditional anthem and simpler to sing, we use the first one officially.

Michaelsdotter
04-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Sweden http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHAQ8RDu_7U&feature=related

The lyrics for the Swedish one is a little bizarre as its focus is Scandinavia, or the Nordic, rather than Sweden itself. The climax of the song translates to

'Yes, I want to live, I want to die in the Nordic.' Why not Sweden?

Ironically, it's considered (by some very PC people) racist to sing this song at graduations and other occasions in schools because of its 'nationalistic' nature and it could thus be interpreted as excluding children with a foreign background. How silly is this, it's the national anthem for crying out loud, not a right-wing manifesto. Andd it's not even about Sweden! :willy_nilly:

Anyway, much like the Brits and their Jerusalem, us Sweden prefer these to be our anthems:

Kent's 'Sverige' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWf5e1x4_PI

Björn & Benny's 'Anthem' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN34fMGjL-Q&feature=related

What do you think? :biggrin5:

OrphanPip
04-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Oh geez I posted twice in this thread without posting O Canada, our anthem for most of the 20th century.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvr7lqqVg3Y&feature=related

Our unofficial anthem for the first half of Canada's existence the slightly monarchical and britocentric Maple Leaf Forever, the technical official anthem of this period was God Save the Queen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxOhk4Lk9aE

Edit: I think O Canada is definitely the better of the two, although the Maple Leaf Forever has a more traditional feel to it.

L.M. The Third
04-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Pip, did you hear the thing about maybe changing the words, to make it more politically correct?

OrphanPip
04-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Pip, did you hear the thing about maybe changing the words, to make it more politically correct?

Haha, the Tories scrapped that idea like two days after they announced it because of the media backlash.

*Classic*Charm*
04-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Oh geez I posted twice in this thread without posting O Canada, our anthem for most of the 20th century.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvr7lqqVg3Y&feature=related

Our unofficial anthem for the first half of Canada's existence the slightly monarchical and britocentric Maple Leaf Forever, the technical official anthem of this period was God Save the Queen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxOhk4Lk9aE

Edit: I think O Canada is definitely the better of the two, although the Maple Leaf Forever has a more traditional feel to it.

I always thought the Maple Leaf Forever should be our national anthem. I think O Canada is kind of weak, as far as anthems go.

OrphanPip
04-30-2010, 09:07 PM
I always thought the Maple Leaf Forever should be our national anthem. I think O Canada is kind of weak, as far as anthems go.

It's not bad, but its main problem is that it is essentially an United Empire Loyalist song that ignores the existence of French Canadians lol. There is the updated lyrics version, but that one's just a song about mountains and trees.

O Canada can speak for all Canadians no matter their origin and doesn't resort to glorification of the English monarchy, we already have God Save the Queen for that.

Gah and Montreal is getting killed by the Pens right now.

*Classic*Charm*
04-30-2010, 09:18 PM
O Canada can speak for all Canadians no matter their origin and doesn't resort to glorification of the English monarchy, we already have God Save the Queen for that.

Gah and Montreal is getting killed by the Pens right now.

Technically, it only speaks for Christians :wink5:. I only bring that up in the name of being a $hit-disturber though. I do like our anthem.

Yep, Halak looks tired.

kasie
05-02-2010, 05:02 AM
Lockasenna - you can't sing your own National Anthem and you a speaker of Old Norse! Shame on you, boy!

As a class we begged our tutor to teach us the National Anthem because we were ashamed at not being able to sing it. He demurred at first, it's difficult to translate it until you have a bit of Welsh grammar behind you, but eventually agreed to coaching us through the first verse. At the same time there was a programme on BBC Wales showing various non-Welsh speaking Welsh personalities learning Welsh and they were being coached through learning verse one as well. I felt great sympathy with them - at least our mumblings and fumblings were in the privacy of our classroom, not in front of the whole nation!

I love the Six Nations matches that are played in Cardiff - hearing that swell of voices before the game starts is worth an extra Try in intimidation. (Pity the rugby doesn't always match it....)