PDA

View Full Version : Help! Essay Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

JEyre
03-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Hi

I hope you can help me out. I am writing this essay for school about Jane Eyre (author is Charlotte Bronte). As you may know Jane Eyre only gets married to Mr. Rochester in the end when his wife has passed away and she is 'Independent'. Throughout the whole story Jane talks about independency and being equal in a relationship. No my thesis statement/topic something along these lines: "Love and social status are closely entwined in Jane Eyre".
I wanted to talk about the relationship Mr.Rochester had with Ms.Ingram and with Eyre. Or better said, the relationship Mr.Rochester is believed to have had with Ms.Ingram in the narrator's opinion.

Can anyone help me out. The problem is that I have too many ideas. I can't even write a proper introduction.

The Comedian
03-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Having too many ideas is a good thing. I suggest that you take your time, write down your ideas and see where the writing takes you. Don't worry too much about thesis statements or introductions. Once you have your ideas down, then you'll need to hone them into shape for your instructor to read. Once you've revise in this fashion, then write your introductions.

I almost always write my introductions last because I find it hard to introduce something that I haven't written yet.

Hope this helps!

JEyre
03-08-2010, 02:43 PM
The problem is that I have to have it finished in 4 hours and the problem with my ideas is that some of them cannot be connected to each other. There are many ideas, but none which can be connected to make a good conclusion. Capiche?

The Comedian
03-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Capiche?

Aye, I do. It sounds like you have to type quickly.

JEyre
03-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Having too many ideas is a good thing. I suggest that you take your time, write down your ideas and see where the writing takes you. Don't worry too much about thesis statements or introductions. Once you have your ideas down, then you'll need to hone them into shape for your instructor to read. Once you've revise in this fashion, then write your introductions.

I almost always write my introductions last because I find it hard to introduce something that I haven't written yet.

Hope this helps!

Aye, I do. It sounds like you have to type quickly.

It's only 750 words, but those 750 words have to make sense as you may know. You have not read the novel by any chance have you?

EndSarcasm
03-08-2010, 03:03 PM
In terms of love and social status being entwined, they probably want something along the lines of the 'people from that time period saw marriage as a business proposal' essay type.

Rochester's feelings for Ingram are open to some interpretation; at one point he may well have had the intention to marry her, or was at-least thinking about it, but you could also say he was doing it specifically to make Jane jealous from the very start (Ingram is the perfect person for that). I've also heard people say that Rochester did it specifically to illicit a confession of some sort, going further than just an intention of causing jealousy.

I am in no way a Jane Eyre expert, read it once and this is what I remember, so don't take my word for it.

JEyre
03-08-2010, 03:10 PM
In terms of love and social status being entwined, they probably want something along the lines of the 'people from that time period saw marriage as a business proposal' essay type.

Rochester's feelings for Ingram are open to some interpretation; at one point he may well have had the intention to marry her, or was at-least thinking about it, but you could also say he was doing it specifically to make Jane jealous from the very start (Ingram is the perfect person for that). I've also heard people say that Rochester did it specifically to illicit a confession of some sort, going further than just an intention of causing jealousy.

I am in no way a Jane Eyre expert, read it once and this is what I remember, so don't take my word for it.

I have thought the same as you said above. I think I will just start writing and using quotations and adjust my sentences as I go. Thanks for your opinion though. It confirms what I partly thought (the jealousy part concerning Mr.Rochester and Ingram).

Any other ideas (from other people) are more than welcome.

Blanket Heist
03-08-2010, 04:00 PM
you're done for.

JEyre
03-08-2010, 04:29 PM
you're done for.

Why do you say that?

kiki1982
03-08-2010, 04:32 PM
If this still helps, because I'm quite late...

I think you are rather looking at the thing that everyone expects Rochester to go for Ingram, 'as she is of his status'. No-one even considers Jane, or the fact that Rochester is in love with her. Fairfax does, but that is because she knows him better.

Jane does not consider having a real chance. Feels jealous, but acknowledges quickly that Ingram after all 'is of his status'. It would have been stupid to think that he was falling for her (she really mentions this!).

Despite all this, he asks her, but she is surprised at it as well because she does not expect a man of his station to propose to a commoner.

Despite her 5000 pounds in the end, we should not think that Jane in the end was of the same status as Rochester, though. I know Rochester is sometimes considered as poor and Jane as rich , but I do not believe that is true. Her 5000 pounds would have made Jane independent, of a middle-class status (being able to afford good food, a house of her own and more clothing than one good dress for Sundays and one for every day), but Rochester is a lot richer. Despite his fortune being reduced by the burning down of Thonfield (the passive value of it is gone), he still owns the ground and the tenants still pay their rent. I would imagine this was the majority of his income before; beside what was in the bank and invested. He was amazingly rich, being able to live in Europe a scandalously grand life and still having an operational estate in Britain with a full household with full personel. The mere burning down of his estate does not make him really poor. Jane's 5000 pounds was worth about 150 000 pounds now. More or less. Her fortune is 6 times smaller than Bertha's original dowry of 30 000. Even if we consider that for some time Rochester lived above his income, which 'nearly ruined [him]', still we cannot say he is really really poor. Only a little plucked. It nearly ruined him, because a fortune that generates interest generates less interest every time some of the capital is gone. So it works progressively. Paying for his servants and foremost the upkeep of Thornfield would have become much harder and he would have had to get into debt. That said, though, he did not reach that point and so, had still a more than satisfactory income. At any rate, he did not really spend a lot of it, I don't think, once he went blind.

So, although status and marriage is very much put together in Jane Eyre, in the end, it does not hold up. And that is also in accordance with the Byronic Hero (Rochester), who hates social conventions and likes to upset the natural order of things.

Have fun with your essay.

k

JEyre
03-08-2010, 04:43 PM
I still have some time left. I checked again and I have 13 hours left before having to hand it in. I thought I had to submit in on Blackboard, though it seems I have to hand it in in class. So I have the night to write and finish the essay. It is 21:42/9:42 pm now . Class starts at 11:00 am.

kiki1982
03-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Get yourself the e-book of Gutenberg. If you can still remember at least one word in the quote you are looking for, you'll be able to find it easier by pressing the 'ctrl'- and 'f'-key together.

JEyre
03-08-2010, 04:48 PM
If this still helps, because I'm quite late...

I think you are rather looking at the thing that everyone expects Rochester to go for Ingram, 'as she is of his status'. No-one even considers Jane, or the fact that Rochester is in love with her. Fairfax does, but that is because she knows him better.

Jane does not consider having a real chance. Feels jealous, but acknowledges quickly that Ingram after all 'is of his status'. It would have been stupid to think that he was falling for her (she really mentions this!).

Despite all this, he asks her, but she is surprised at it as well because she does not expect a man of his station to propose to a commoner.

Despite her 5000 pounds in the end, we should not think that Jane in the end was of the same status as Rochester, though. I know Rochester is sometimes considered as poor and Jane as rich , but I do not believe that is true. Her 5000 pounds would have made Jane independent, of a middle-class status (being able to afford good food, a house of her own and more clothing than one good dress for Sundays and one for every day), but Rochester is a lot richer. Despite his fortune being reduced by the burning down of Thonfield (the passive value of it is gone), he still owns the ground and the tenants still pay their rent. I would imagine this was the majority of his income before; beside what was in the bank and invested. He was amazingly rich, being able to live in Europe a scandalously grand life and still having an operational estate in Britain with a full household with full personel. The mere burning down of his estate does not make him really poor. Jane's 5000 pounds was worth about 150 000 pounds now. More or less. Her fortune is 6 times smaller than Bertha's original dowry of 30 000. Even if we consider that for some time Rochester lived above his income, which 'nearly ruined [him]', still we cannot say he is really really poor. Only a little plucked. It nearly ruined him, because a fortune that generates interest generates less interest every time some of the capital is gone. So it works progressively. Paying for his servants and foremost the upkeep of Thornfield would have become much harder and he would have had to get into debt. That said, though, he did not reach that point and so, had still a more than satisfactory income. At any rate, he did not really spend a lot of it, I don't think, once he went blind.

So, although status and marriage is very much put together in Jane Eyre, in the end, it does not hold up. And that is also in accordance with the Byronic Hero (Rochester), who hates social conventions and likes to upset the natural order of things.

Have fun with your essay.

k

Thanks for sharing your ideas on the matter. You are going far too deep in analysing Mr.Rochester's richness, but it's better to have too much info than just a bit. And refering back to your comment on having fun with my essay I want to let you know that I never have fun in writing essays, unless I can choose my own topic. I like writing about novels on slavery and such. I find it more interesting than Mr. Rochester's love life.

kiki1982
03-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Nono, I went that deep because it fits the topic; money and marriage do not get together in the end. Although, 750 words is not long enough to do all that in ;).

Ok, I see what you mean about not having fun when someone tells you what the topic should be. Although, don't get fooled by Rochester at first sight. He is so much fun, so ironic and enigmatic.

But still, any advancement in sight?

Just start writing, that always does it for me.

JEyre
03-08-2010, 05:09 PM
When I have finished the essay I shall posted. Maybe you can look at it and judge it. But I am far from posting it. I am gathering quotations which will fit my essay.

JEyre
03-09-2010, 12:57 AM
Still have not finished it. Please anyone help me out. I'm stuck here.

qimissung
03-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Well, I've read the other posts, and it sounded like you were on your way to getting something written.

JEyre
03-09-2010, 01:17 AM
Well, I've read the other posts, and it sounded like you were on your way to getting something written.

I am indeed on my way of having it finished. However, I am not sure whether I am clear in my essay and use the right language. It is now 6:16 am and I am so tired. I just woke up to have it finished. Can you take a look at my essay when I have it finished?

qimissung
03-09-2010, 01:20 AM
Possibly. Where do you live? It is 11:20 p.m. here and I was getting ready to go to bed. I can stay up for a little bit.

JEyre
03-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Possibly. Where do you live? It is 11:20 p.m. here and I was getting ready to go to bed. I can stay up for a little bit.

The Netherlands. How long can you stay awake? half an hour? Sorry for bothering you.

qimissung
03-09-2010, 01:25 AM
Half an hour to an hour, and it's no problem. I'm an English teacher here in the states, and you know we don't have anything else we'd rather be doing! :)

JEyre
03-09-2010, 01:31 AM
Half an hour to an hour, and it's no problem. I'm an English teacher here in the states, and you know we don't have anything else we'd rather be doing! :)

Where do you teach? Primary school, High school or Uni? I know how you feel, I teach children at their homes. Just an hour per week per child, for those who are having difficulty understanding a specific course, primary school and high school.

qimissung
03-09-2010, 01:35 AM
That sounds like fun. I teach English to students in their third year of high school. Generally, the third year is American Literature.

qimissung
03-09-2010, 01:36 AM
Are you a graduate student then? And how do you want to do this?

JEyre
03-09-2010, 01:37 AM
Are you a graduate student then? And how do you want to do this?

What do you mean with 'and how do you want to do this?'

qimissung
03-09-2010, 01:40 AM
You asked if I could take a look at your essay. Do you still want me to do that?

JEyre
03-09-2010, 01:44 AM
You asked if I could take a look at your essay. Do you still want me to do that?

Yes of course, Maybe I can send you a part of what I have already. I am still writing. Can I send it through a private message?

qimissung
03-09-2010, 01:48 AM
Certainly!

JEyre
03-09-2010, 01:59 AM
I have sent it to you.

qimissung
03-09-2010, 02:30 AM
Ok! I've read it and commented. It should be on it's way back to you. I'm still here, if you want me to look at anything else.

JEyre
03-09-2010, 02:38 AM
What do you think of the structure of the essay? Are the paragraphs well divided?

qimissung
03-09-2010, 02:40 AM
Yes, I think they are. You have a clear topic and topic sentence for each of them.

JEyre
03-09-2010, 02:49 AM
I have sent you my essay as I will hand it in excluding one or two extra quotations and a conclusion

qimissung
03-09-2010, 03:12 AM
I read it and sent it back with my assessment. I think it's good. Good luck wrapping it up and getting it turned it. You're going to do just fine!

Good Night, J. :)

JEyre
03-09-2010, 07:59 AM
I have it finished (I think). I hope, I hope, I hope I will get a good grade. Though it is always a mistery, since I do not know this teacher and one teacher is more strict than the other. Where I would pass according to one teacher, I would fail according to the other.

qimissung
03-09-2010, 08:26 AM
I hope you do, too. Yes, I remember that mystery all too well. But really, Ithink you did a very good job of synthesizing a number of ideas.