PDA

View Full Version : Creationism vs. Evolution...

Katy North
03-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Since it seems that many of the topics on this forum get derailed by this debate, I thought I'd make a thread for it especially. Keep a sense of humor, and play nice!:thumbsup:

DanielBenoit
03-04-2010, 08:41 PM
GREAT idea! How about we have all evolution/creationist hijackings brought over to here.

AimusSage
03-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Can this thread be turned into a black hole where no comment can ever escape its event horizon?

I have my opinion regarding this subject, and I will be happy to keep it completely to myself. :)

DanielBenoit
03-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Can this thread be turned into a black hole where no comment can ever escape its event horizon?

:smilielol5:

I have my opinion regarding this subject, and I will be happy to keep it completely to myself. :)

You don't want to get in the ring and start throwing pointless, meaningless and endless punshes? :yikes::boxing_smiley:

AimusSage
03-04-2010, 09:14 PM
You don't want to get in the ring and start throwing pointless, meaningless and endless punshes? :yikes::boxing_smiley:
No matter what side you are on, from your perspective the opponents are sly and no matter how direct your punches seem, they will always manage to weasel out of them with a flurry of misguided punches! Pointless and meaningless indeed. There will never be reason on the side of madness.

And it is total madness I tell you, no point going in there, too much resilience is found, and eventually no matter what is done, you will grow tired and give up, I have foreseen this, and choose to not fight and instead focus myself on having a drink. :D

DanielBenoit
03-04-2010, 09:20 PM
And it is total madness I tell you, no point going in there, too much resilience is found, and eventually no matter what is done, you will grow tired and give up, I have foreseen this, and choose to not fight and instead focus myself on having a drink. :D

Hear, hear!
:cheers2:

(though you may find me throwing a few punches here and there when I have nothing else to do but get in the ring ;) )

OrphanPip
03-04-2010, 10:56 PM
I think there was already a thread for this.

Although, I don't think I have the energy to keep up defending evolution, the belief in God thread was really discouraging.

Babbalanja
03-04-2010, 11:31 PM
There's no point.

The scientific aspect of evolution by natural selection is completely irrelevant to anyone's religious beliefs. Any mature, educated believer should be able to accept the evidence for common descent and still believe whatever they want. The people who use evolution as a totemic evil are so lacking in education concerning science and philosophy that it's an utter waste of time engaging them.

If you have a lot of time to spend correcting their misconceptions about what science is and isn't, and what constitutes a theory, be my guest. If you're desperate to listen to every weird factoid and myth about evolution they've picked up from years of indoctrination, have a ball.

Regards,

Istvan

TurquoiseSunset
03-05-2010, 04:20 AM
There's no point.

The scientific aspect of evolution by natural selection is completely irrelevant to anyone's religious beliefs. Any mature, educated believer should be able to accept the evidence for common descent and still believe whatever they want. The people who use evolution as a totemic evil are so lacking in education concerning science and philosophy that it's an utter waste of time engaging them.

If you have a lot of time to spend correcting their misconceptions about what science is and isn't, and what constitutes a theory, be my guest. If you're desperate to listen to every weird factoid and myth about evolution they've picked up from years of indoctrination, have a ball.

Regards,

Istvan

Why do you have to be so disparaging? The whole point of a forum is discussion/debate. So if people want to discuss the finer points of believing vs. not believing/science vs. believing + science then it's up to them. There's no need to be uppity. If you don't want to join in, then don't, but don't try to make the people who do feel like they are immature/uneducated idiots for doing so.

Babbalanja
03-05-2010, 05:56 AM
Why do you have to be so disparaging? The whole point of a forum is discussion/debate. So if people want to discuss the finer points of believing vs. not believing/science vs. believing + science then it's up to them. There's no need to be uppity. If you don't want to join in, then don't, but don't try to make the people who do feel like they are immature/uneducated idiots for doing so.I said quite plainly that anyone with the time and inclination should debate away to their heart's content.

But I want to make it clear that, although we'll be hearing a lot about "evidence" and "facts" during such a debate, it in fact has nothing whatsoever to do with either. It's about legitimizing the sort of belief that is based on denying facts and evidence. It's about putting wishful thinking above the legacy of empirical evidential inquiry. It's about applying a religious perspective to matters that have nothing to do with religion.

Regards,

Istvan

TurquoiseSunset
03-05-2010, 06:05 AM
Great, so now that we've heard your opinion on the subject, the floor's open to whoever else is interested in expressing theirs.

Babbalanja
03-05-2010, 06:11 AM
Great, so now that we've heard your opinion on the subject, the floor's open to whoever else is interested in expressing theirs.Well, what's your opinion on the subject, then? What's the extent of your science education? What should we believe about the development of life on Earth?

Regards,

Istvan

TurquoiseSunset
03-05-2010, 06:36 AM
Well, what's your opinion on the subject, then? What's the extent of your science education? What should we believe about the development of life on Earth?

Regards,

Istvan

1. I have already given my opinion on the subject in 'Introduction to Christianity'. click here (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?p=856910#post856910) It's short, but sums up what I believe about creationism vs. evolution. To be frank, I don't care either way how I got here, it doesn't make a difference to me. I am interested however in reading other people's thoughts on it. I am interested in the facts or theories surrounding each.

2. I didn't realise I needed a science education to discuss anything here or to give my opinion.

3. You should believe what you choose to. I don't want any part or responsibility in that. I'm not here to try and convince anybody of anything, but merely just to give my opinion. Use it or lose it.

Satan
03-05-2010, 07:16 AM
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6916/raptorq.jpg

Scientists Prove Jesus Walked with Dinosaurs (http://www.dailysquib.co.uk/?c=120&a=1236)

Evolution? What evolution?

TurquoiseSunset
03-05-2010, 07:23 AM
Lol, well Satan, I guess that settles it once and for all :D

Katy North
03-05-2010, 08:19 AM
[/i]

Wow, that picture nearly converted me! :D

Babbalanja
03-05-2010, 09:04 AM
I didn't realise I needed a science education to discuss anything here or to give my opinion.I didn't say you did. But we're not born knowing all about genetics, geology, paleontology, molecular biology, and the philosophy of science. These subjects are all relevant to the issue of evolution by natural selection, but they aren't matters of opinion.

You should believe what you choose to.
Of course you should. But not all beliefs are equally valid. If I claimed I have the right to believe that the Earth is flat, what difference would that make to how right or wrong the belief is?

Regards,

Istvan

TurquoiseSunset
03-05-2010, 06:29 PM
I didn't say you did. But we're not born knowing all about genetics, geology, paleontology, molecular biology, and the philosophy of science. These subjects are all relevant to the issue of evolution by natural selection, but they aren't matters of opinion.

Well thank you, I realise science plays a role in this discussion and that we aren't born with the knowledge. My point is I don't need a science education to participate in this discussion. You probably think I need one, why ask about it otherwise? However if I misunderstood your use of the word 'education', I apologise.

Anyhoo, I think what I said and meant in all my previous posts was pretty clear, so let's not flog a dead horse.

DanielBenoit
03-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Yes, Satan hath resolved the debate!

Scientists Prove Jesus Walked with Dinosaurs (http://www.dailysquib.co.uk/?c=120&a=1236)

Evolution? What evolution?

I bet kids have a lot of sun coloring in The Flesh of Christ color :D

Wow, that picture nearly converted me! :D

I know! It all makes sense now! :yikes:

All of these years of non-belief and I never knew that Jesus was such a bad *** at riding dinosaurs! Major props to Him. :auto::D

Katy North
03-05-2010, 07:14 PM
http://thumbs.imagekind.com/member/8ba7b6c8-c03a-48ae-ab45-7cc6273c6136/uploadedartwork/450X450/d5be33fa-a80d-4a7c-9114-91eba3b95f96.jpg

This is by the same artist, Derek Chatwood.... GO DARWIN GO!!!

DanielBenoit
03-05-2010, 07:24 PM
http://thumbs.imagekind.com/member/8ba7b6c8-c03a-48ae-ab45-7cc6273c6136/uploadedartwork/450X450/d5be33fa-a80d-4a7c-9114-91eba3b95f96.jpg

This is by the same artist, Derek Chatwood.... GO DARWIN GO!!!

Turn the other cheek Jesus! You know you're better than a Social Darwinian :p

. . ... . then Jesus metamorphizes. . . .

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/2784/raptorjesus1ep9.jpg

brought about by evolution :D

Katy North
03-05-2010, 07:41 PM
:smilielol5:

You know, we're not going to get any debate at this rate, we'll have either irritated or scared away all the creationists...