PDA

View Full Version : Humiliated and Insulted by Fyodor Dostoevsky

keilj
02-10-2010, 12:20 PM
An amazing book. I put this in my top 3 favorites by Dostoevsky - along with The Possessed and The Idiot.

Let me start by saying that I had seen reviews stating that this is 2nd rate Dostoevsky. I could not disagree more - every page has taut, colorful language. And all of Dostoevsky's themes are here: suffering, poverty, family, physical illness, love, emotionalism. Of all of Dostoevsky's works, this one seems the most like a traditional novel - it is shorter than most of his others, and it wraps up with a succinct and memorable final line of dialog.

But I think what makes this novel one of my favorites by him, perhaps my favorite, is its tighter focus - almost simplicity - compared with the broader themes and topics of most of his denser works. And, as usual, the characters are memorable becasue of what they had to endure.

Again, a big point that I would like to get across about this book is that it is not a second rate Dostoevsky work - it is top tier, even for him. Every page bursts with vibrant narration and dialog - and the humiliated and insulted protagonists will stay with you for a long time. A beautiful book

The Comedian
02-10-2010, 03:06 PM
keilj -- thanks for that review; to be honest, I don't think I've even heard of this Dostoevsky novel; of course, I'm not the most schooled in him as others here. (I think I've only read Crime & Punishment & The Brothers Karamazov).

Anyway, I enjoyed your review.

keilj
02-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I recently got a couple of his lesser-known books, this one, and one called The Village of Stepanchikovo. I think The Village of Stepanchikovo was his first novel - and it was OK. But Humiliated and Insulted was just really good, definitely one of my favorites by him.

The Eternal Husband is another great - but shorter - book by him

eyemaker
02-11-2010, 10:06 PM
keilj -- thanks for that review; to be honest, I don't think I've even heard of this Dostoevsky novel; of course, I'm not the most schooled in him as others here. (I think I've only read Crime & Punishment & The Brothers Karamazov).

Anyway, I enjoyed your review.

Other book would translate the title as "The Insulted and Injured:. Readers sometimes got themselves confused with the titles. Anyway, Keij nice to see another Dostoevsky fan appraising his books. I like this book too, one of his beautifully crafted tragic novel. Still, Brothers Karamazov, Crime and Punishment, and the Idiot remains to be my favorite.

eyemaker
02-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I recently got a couple of his lesser-known books, this one, and one called The Village of Stepanchikovo. I think The Village of Stepanchikovo was his first novel - and it was OK. But Humiliated and Insulted was just really good, definitely one of my favorites by him.

The Eternal Husband is another great - but shorter - book by him

Keij, The Village of Stepanchikovo is NOT Dostoevsky's first work. Poor Folk is his first novel where he was considered a "the new Gogol".

BienvenuJDC
02-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Who was humiliated and insulted by Fyodor Dostoevsky? I would report it to the moderators...

eyemaker
02-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Who was humiliated and insulted by Fyodor Dostoevsky? I would report it to the moderators...

????
lol

keilj
02-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Keij, The Village of Stepanchikovo is NOT Dostoevsky's first work. Poor Folk is his first novel where he was considered a "the new Gogol".

thanks - I stand corrected.

Yes, I know many consider Brothers K to be his best work. For some reason Possessed (also known as Demons) really struck me as great. I also am very fond of Eternal Husband.

I suppose, because of other reviews, that I was expecting Humiliated and Insulted to be second-tier - man was I pleasantly surprised and amazed at how good it was

blazeofglory
02-12-2010, 04:04 AM
Dostoevsky is my all time favorite writer and I have not read this book fully and I may read it in future. He is an insuperable writer.