PDA

View Full Version : Jo March VS Idgie Threadgoode

AmaranthL16
01-27-2010, 04:55 PM
I am ashamed to say that, up until now, I've spent so much of my time reading the "new" novels that I've foregone some of the best, most brilliantly written yet. Louisa May Alcott's Little Women was on my reading list in my children's literature course. Though I'm not through reading the book as of yet, I get the general gist of it. So far I'm finding Jo March's character reminds me in many ways of Idgie Threadgoode from Fannie Flagg's Fried Green Tomatoes. This in that they are both from families where social standing and behavior is very important, yet both are little rebels and non-conformists. Now should one analyse the two in depth there may be less similarities, but this was my first general impression of this character.

I had wondered what other people's opinions might be on this.

The book is so far one of the best I've ever read. I will have to make sure to pass it on to my children so they are not deprived of such great work, even though they may see it as a "chickie book".

What truly impressed me the most was Louisa May Alcott's biography. To think that she only took two and a half months to write this book bewilders me. Her biography is worth reading for anyone interesting. She was a great author, whom I will always hold in the highest regard. She has broken through with many "firsts" in her writing.

I can't wait to go home and finish the book. Then off to start on The Secret Garden for next week's class.