PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Mann

Helga
01-22-2010, 12:00 PM
I read a collection of short stories by Mann and really loved them. it's been so long since I read something that grabbed me in the way his writing does. Death being his main theme in most of them make them all the more interesting because you were surprised at the end even though you knew what would happen. his characters are so sad but real and the way he describes all the cities the stories take place in are so beautiful. the way he described Munchen was so beautiful. there is something about his writing style that keeps you guessing and dosen't let go until the last moment. my favourite would be Mr. Friedemann little about the man who looks sick and with a hump, gave up on love at a young age and wondered a lot about his life and how it will be. ugly, sad and beautiful.

I would give it in whole 8 out of 10

Dinkleberry2010
01-23-2010, 10:28 AM
The case of Thomas Mann is so interesting to me. Some love his stories; some hate them. Some think Mann is one of the great writers; some think he sucks. It seems that Mann is one of those writers who evoke strong opinions one way or the other. There seems to be no middle ground with Mann. Personally, I find his stories fascinating, albeit some of them are a bit confusing to me and obscure. My personal favorite of all he wrote is Death In Venice. I have probably read that story a half dozen times, and I still don't fully understand it, but it's still my favorite story of his.

Helga
01-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Death in Venice is very good too and strange like you say... but there is just something about his work that I just love, his ideas and like I said the characters... Gladius Dai is also really good.

Dinkleberry2010
01-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Somehow Mann reminds me of Henry James, and vice versa. And yet, their subject matter and outlook are so opposed. I think their style of writing is similar in a way, but Mann is a more personal, intimate writer.