PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the site

Admin
01-17-2002, 06:16 PM
Thanks. In my opinion the greatest thing about the Internet is that you can find information on just about anything.

gmhill
I would have to agree with both :) the Internet is very interesting and a great source of information... I think it is great how the Literature Network is going and the classic-novels as well. :)

I feel there is a need to get books back out into the public and that the things said about books, like, they are boring will someday be a thing of the past. Joanne Rowling (author of "Harry Potter") has started to do this already, so at least we have a start :)

vladline
I must confess that posting on this website and viewing other posts has been a real joy for me.

I've found so many usefull links on authors and topics that I knew very little about, and that in itself makes this site wondeful to read.

I believe that Gmhill brings a very good topic up for discussion. Furthermore I would like to add how important it is that the integrity of classical literature must be continually reinforced to modern readers. Whom I find waste way too much time reading pulp fiction novels. Enticing as they may be for some to read. "Light" novels leave something to be desired as far as: moral issues, philosophy, respect for posterities sake and such! By no means am I suggesting that these are guide lines that "good" literature should be judged by. Sometimes immorality can teach us more about being moral, than morality itself.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: vladline on 2001-09-04 05:08 ]</font>

DaScouser
08-13-2002, 04:45 PM
I must agree and congratulate The Literature Network for such a great site and concept. I really enjoy reading the comments and submitting my own. I would also like to know if you have any plans to branch out into critical theory, in some way utilising it with the authors already used?

Keep up the excellent work :D

Eric, son of Chuck
08-15-2002, 08:53 PM
I'd like to, er fifth that "thank you" for the site. Good reading.

And, while I don't like the Harry Potter series, at least people are actually reading. That much I will say for it.

RatsSawGod
09-07-2002, 01:59 AM
The site is a wonderful concept and I have found it very useful. However, with the "search all {insert title/author here}" option, I have run into a problem. I searched Dicken's Hard Times for the word "fairy." One of the listings was in chapter 17. However, I noticed another usage of the word 4 paragraphs later (the one which begins "Mrs. Sparsit was conscious"): "Sparsit considered herself, in some sort, the Bank Fairy." While the seach is a wonderful tool, it is less so because it is incomplete and misleading (saying "search all" rather than "search for the first instance of {blank} in each chapter). Anyway, keep up the good work, and hopefully you will see fit to improve upon this problem. Thanks. Kupo!

RatsSawGod
09-07-2002, 02:02 AM
Clarification: basically when you search for a word, it only highlights the first instance of the word in each chapter. "Fairy" was highlighted only once when it appears twice in the chapter. The is no info given that it appears more than once. Fin.
Kupo!

Admin
09-07-2002, 12:28 PM
Clarification: basically when you search for a word, it only highlights the first instance of the word in each chapter. "Fairy" was highlighted only once when it appears twice in the chapter. The is no info given that it appears more than once. Fin.
Kupo!

That is a technical limitation that unfortunately has no solution at the current time. This is also why its good to be as specific as possible with your search.

piquant
03-19-2003, 08:15 PM
I must echo everyone else's thank you! I just found this site today, and have already been here for 2 hours. It is so difficult to find people who enjoy reading and discussing classic literature. Thanks a million!