PDA

View Full Version : Broken April by Ismail Kadare

gedamara
01-06-2010, 05:57 PM
There is no individual translator listed for this book. The only information is “Translated from the Albanian,” and I assume that means it was done in-house by the publisher,

This is the first book I’ve read by Kadare, and he’s written many, some of which have been discussed on the forum. Most of them, I believe, are translated from the French.

Broken April is also my first encounter with Albania, in any form. Beyond a trip to an unusual place, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I wasn’t disappointed. The world of Broken April is very strange indeed. The book is mostly about the cruelties of that world, based on the Kanun (law of the mountain region), and their dehumanizing effect on the people who live there.

The book begins like a thriller. You are with Gjorg, a young man, lying on a cold, damp hillside with his gun, waiting for his target to come into view.

After the initial drama, the book shifts to an explanation of the culture of blood feuds. We are inside Gjorg’s head as he fulfills the role he was given. The title refers to a future time when he will encounter the next phase of his drama.

Then the book switches gears, to a young couple from Tirana, who visit the region on their honeymoon (bad idea). Through the voice of the husband, we learn much more about how the Kanun operates. We also encounter the major players the in the system. Eventually the two main storylines become intertwined.

Much of the book is taken up with explanations of the law, which I found interesting because it was so strange. There is much more, of course. A major theme of the book is the danger inherent in romanticizing a world you don’t understand. I also enjoyed the writing itself, which was simple and stark, like the setting, and left room for imagination

neilgee
01-06-2010, 06:47 PM
It made me think of A thousand splendid suns but that's probably just the mountainous landscape and the sense of danger and poverty that your review seems to hint at. Suns was a book written from a female perspective while this seems to be described by a series of male protagonists, but you've got me interested. Yours was a well written review.:thumbs_up

Dinkleberry2010
01-06-2010, 08:12 PM
It makes me want to read the book.