PDA

View Full Version : Avatar, Anyone see it?

Buh4Bee
12-28-2009, 09:23 PM
I saw this movie over the weekend and enjoyed it immensely. What did other people think?

skib
12-29-2009, 01:44 AM
:D Freaking amazing. I might have already said that a few times already though.:banana:

Pryderi Agni
12-29-2009, 03:16 AM
Yes, I did, and I agree with you guys completely. It was AWESOME!!!

Buh4Bee
12-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Hey Skib, I blogged about it on your blog.

Captain_Kuchiki
12-31-2009, 10:43 PM
I saw Avatar today and it kicked some serious booty! Good way to end 2009!

skib
01-01-2010, 12:56 AM
Hey Skib, I blogged about it on your blog.

I noticed! At least someone remembered to write back. :lol:

Dinkleberry2010
01-01-2010, 08:22 AM
My sister who is not a regular movie-going fan saw Avatar and she has been simply raving about it, so I may just go see this film

DanielBenoit
01-09-2010, 03:19 AM
Avatar: What a disappointmet! How endlessly tedious. My friend actually fell asleep during the film.

Lokasenna
01-09-2010, 02:09 PM
I saw it with a friend the other day...

Firstly, let me say that the story is pretty dreadful... it could easily have been penned by a five year old. Of particular irritation was the baddie, who was the most hideous amalgamation of clichés that I think I've ever come across... I couldn't remember his name, so my thought process simply keeps calling him Col. Kaboom.

HOWEVER, and this is a big however, I was absolutely captivated by the sheer majesty of Pandora. My only wish, after leaving the cinema, was to don my hiking boots and jump on the next spaceship - Cameron has created a truly beautiful, unique world, and he allows us to revel in its magic.

It is very, very rare for me that I allow style to stand in for substance, but my god does this film do style well. The plot is paper thin, and the acting is rather mediocre, and it makes its point with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer, but nonetheless you are drawn by it. Go and see it in the cinema in 3D - do not wait for the DVD or anything, as you will be missing out!

That said, I did make the comment to my friend that the whole empathy thing would have been lost if the Na'vi had been slime-oozing lobster people, instead of vaguely attractive cat-things...

Hurricane
01-09-2010, 04:58 PM
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs170.snc3/19752_101753369854830_100000605028821_42778_252230 1_n.jpg

Plot issues aside, the visuals were really amazing and there were some nice little details that I appreciated. I had a fun time at the movie, but it wasn't (overall) that exceptional.

marcolfo
01-10-2010, 10:28 AM
want more movies with a similar plot

princess mononoke

dances with wolfes

the last samurai

all of the above, better than avatar

sprinks
01-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Overall I thought it was pretty good, as I plan to study media at uni I was particularly interested in the improved 3-d technology Cameron has worked on, I wouldn't have gone based on the plot/if my boyfriend hadn't convinced me to. I found a few things a bit dodgy, such as when that bad guy (who's name also escapes me) is climbing out the hole in something (it's late, I'm tired, can't remember specifics) but after all the amazing graphics, there was this dodgy green-screen effect and it ruined that bit. Some of the shots were great in 3-d though, however pulling focus in 3-d doesn't work well, I think it made me feel sick. I think it's a bit overrated (and normally I cheer for anything with Australian actors in it!) but I was quite impressed by the cgi and some of the technical aspects, not so much the plot.

Lokasenna
01-12-2010, 05:09 AM
Overall I thought it was pretty good, as I plan to study media at uni I was particularly interested in the improved 3-d technology Cameron has worked on, I wouldn't have gone based on the plot/if my boyfriend hadn't convinced me to. I found a few things a bit dodgy, such as when that bad guy (who's name also escapes me) is climbing out the hole in something (it's late, I'm tired, can't remember specifics) but after all the amazing graphics, there was this dodgy green-screen effect and it ruined that bit. Some of the shots were great in 3-d though, however pulling focus in 3-d doesn't work well, I think it made me feel sick. I think it's a bit overrated (and normally I cheer for anything with Australian actors in it!) but I was quite impressed by the cgi and some of the technical aspects, not so much the plot.

The 3D also made me feel a bit ill, but I put that down to the fact that I was having to wear the 3D glasses over my normal specs...

sprinks
01-14-2010, 08:58 AM
The 3D also made me feel a bit ill, but I put that down to the fact that I was having to wear the 3D glasses over my normal specs...

I would imagine that that would not be the easiest/most pleasant thing to experience! :p I don't wear my glasses often enough to have to go through that :lol: I should though, I just don't remember :blush:. I found that the the 3D effect was quite effective when it was shots of humans or 'real' things, but it wasn't as obvious when it was an animated scene, I wonder if this is because we are used to animation looking different anyhow? The only time (I found) that the 3D was very obvious in an animated scene was when there were spores or something flying across; though the illusion of depth was improved in both real and animated shots.

NickAdams
01-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Yes, and I don't think I'll be seeing it again.

Plumbum
02-03-2010, 09:57 PM
It's vastly overrated. The graphics were impressive, but I didn't think any of it merited the excessive praise that it did. I probably would have enjoyed it much more also if it weren't nearly 3 hours long.

The best thing to come out of Avatar was Sam Worthington, I will say. He is gorgeous.

Buh4Bee
02-03-2010, 10:19 PM
It's a film for the masses not a foreign film. Sure it has plot issues etc, but it was cutting edge.

Well, anyway, I guess people are going to get all academic on the film. Go for it!!!!!!!!!

skib
02-04-2010, 01:30 AM
A little side note- I just saw it for the third time last week, in 3D this time. Had a hard time getting used to it, but pretty much forgot I was in a theater till the people I was with started laughing at me.

Mathor
02-05-2010, 01:53 AM
I do not think any arguments I have heard thus far really prove the movie is not good. All the arguments simply just state that the movie plot is cliche and is exactly like dances with wolves. This seems like negative bias to me, and i feel like anyone could provide the same bias and say that any plot in any movie is cliche using that same argument. No movies are really all that original, at least not in the past 30-40 years.

I do not think this film is the best of the year at all, but it's at least a good film.

skib
02-05-2010, 02:09 AM
I do not think any arguments I have heard thus far really prove the movie is not good. All the arguments simply just state that the movie plot is cliche and is exactly like dances with wolves. This seems like negative bias to me, and i feel like anyone could provide the same bias and say that any plot in any movie is cliche using that same argument. No movies are really all that original, at least not in the past 30-40 years.

Thank you for bringing that up, Mathor! Sometimes I wish I were more of a movie buff so I could make points like that, but unfortunately I only have a vague grasp of the moving picture world.
Sure, it was a little bit predictable, sure the storyline was not overly complex. Do they have to be? I took enjoyment in the imaginative aspects of it. I am able to put myself into the shoes of Jake Sully. I am able to somewhat imagine the horrible loss of losing my legs, losing my family, and then getting a chance to start over and make a difference. I didn't feel the need for a complicated plot. On the way home from my last viewing, a girl I was with said "It made all my childhood dreams come true." Looking at the film from that standpoint, I can only think of one other movie I connect with this deeply.