PDA

View Full Version : The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells

The Comedian
12-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Reading Alan Moore & Kevin O'Neil's comic League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (a reinterpretation and exultation of Victorian adventure fiction) got me interested in Wells, whose works they draw heavily upon.

H.G. Wells' The Invisible Man is a pleasant story with narrative structure that grew on me. In this novel, Wells recounts the story of Hawley Griffin, a self-absorbed albino scientist who discovers how to make animate flesh invisible, most notably his own. He notes his discovery in cipher, then spends much of the brief novel trying to cope with day-to-day tasks in his new condition and maintain his secrecy, and later he decides what profession his new condition is best suited to.

I found the narrative structure quite compelling because the origin of how the Invisible Man came to be and the revealing of his discovery occurs in the later portions of the novel, only after we have committed our curiosity to this odd-fellow character whose person is at once sympathetic and villainous. As a result of this structure, the book gets more interesting with each turn of the page.

Thematically, the novel deals with the moral and psychological questions of how humans behave when the stabilizing gaze of society is not upon them. What transgressions can be gotten away with? What boundaries can be trespassed? And, most profoundly (to me,at least) how would true social isolation affect one's ability to keep his or her moral and social obligations?

Overall, I found The Invisible Man a fun and insightful read that made me want to read another title by its author. The Island of Dr. Moreau, perhaps?

I rate this book 8/10 refracted particles of light

Paulclem
12-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks comedian. An interesting review. The narrative structure sounds intriguing. Presumably, the question of moral obligations is a strong theme in the Invisible man with Kevin bacon. I've heard of, but not seen, it.

I've read about half of The island of Dr Moreau I had to return it to the library, but do intend to finish it. It is a decidedly odd, but no less an interesting book for that.

Dinkleberry2010
12-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Good review.
I don't know what it is about Wells' The Invisible Man that keeps me going back and reading it. I first read it when I was fourteen, and every ten or twelve years I go back and read it. I've read it four times. But then, I do that with most of Wells' work--including The Island Of Doctor Moreau which is one of my favorite Wells works.

Helga
12-15-2009, 10:46 AM
read it years ago and loved it maybe it's time to pick it up again

great review

JohaDallitos
05-30-2014, 08:07 PM
The invisible man is a gripping book! Its reading leaves you thinking about the power of science, and its effect in the scientific ethics!

free
06-12-2014, 01:12 AM
Wells was a real wonder. So many ideas did he offer to the science. He is just another proof that art goes ahead sometmes.

mal4mac
06-12-2014, 02:39 AM
I read it years ago and recently read it again. It stands up to re-reading, sign of a true classic. War of the Worlds was also worth a re-read. I read most of Wells' science fiction stuff as a teenager, so much of it is a dim and distant memory, but I remember Dr Moreau as being very strange and it's last on my re-read list. Wells' short stories are probably highest on my "must re-read" list.

I would dispute the comment that "art goes ahead". Has Wells really pulled out ahead of Shakespeare and Dickens? I think it's more like "art goes in new directions".

free
06-13-2014, 01:28 AM
I would dispute the comment that "art goes ahead". Has Wells really pulled out ahead of Shakespeare and Dickens? I think it's more like "art goes in new directions".

When I wrote it, I meant that art goes ahead in comparision with science. Sometimes it leads science and points it what to consider, explore, research.