PDA

View Full Version : How can we read Moll Flanders?

sobaro
12-13-2009, 06:23 AM
Lots of questions came to my mind about this book..
How shall we read this book?
Is it a novel, autobiography, is it a moral story, is it a historical story or is it a
"novel against a novel"?.
when we know what it is, we will read it.If we think that it is history then we will read in a certain way . If we think it is a social document then we will read in another way.
The problem is that all these questions are existed in the book.They are equally available in the text.
When we come to read ,we see hat the writer has said i am not the author and i am not the one who is saying the words.
This is not fiction or imagination, this means that the book is author-less ,From the very beginning, the author is de-fictionalizing and de-novelizing the novel.
He is playing with us the same game that Moll is going to play with us later.
So the great problem in Moll Flanders and the key word for it is How to read?

The topic is open and you can post your feeds, you are more than welcome.
:as-sleep:

LitNetIsGreat
12-13-2009, 07:28 AM
I’m afraid I can’t agree with much of your reasoning and I don’t think that you necessarily read texts in different ways based upon the intention of the author, or the medium that it is written in. You also have to take into account that this is one of the first novels in English and is not necessarily complete as we come to recognise what a novel “should” do. With this in mind it certainly dismisses your idea that it is a “novel against a novel” because at the time, there were few, if any, novels to compare it to.

It is certainly an interesting book though, which does raise lots of questions.

sobaro
12-13-2009, 08:43 AM
i didn't say it is a 'novel against a novel', its just a thought i put to discuss .
any way thanks for your feeds, i found it useful.