PDA

View Full Version : Identifying Book Version

WatcherX
12-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Hello!

I was recently given a digital copy of Ulysses by a friend and after doing some research on this book it seems like the 1961 version would be the best version I would like to read. However, this ebook doesn't mention anything about which version it is.

Is there any specific phrase that is present in the 1961 version that is not found in the other versions that I can do a search for to see if this is the '61? :confused:

Thanks!

Macintosh
11-29-2010, 01:00 AM
Couple of quick things to search for via a "find"...
1-chapter 1, Telemachus, check the spelling of the noise that Stephen's walking stick makes, line 629, the stick says "Steeeeeeeeeeeephen!" with 12 e's. If it doesn't you probably have a 1960s edition.
2-chapter 3, Proteus, line 199, the telegram Stephen received has a typo (and a typical Joycean pun) "Nother dying come home father" but pre-70s editions had the error "fixed" to read "Mother dying..." The "typo" is intentional otherwise the previous line "curiosity" makes no sense.
3-chapter 15, Circe, line 2766, Bloom answers "Nes. Yo.", another intentional wordplay but previous editors "fixed" it to read Yes. No. but that's not what Joyce intended.
4-the biggie, chapter 9, Scylla, line 429, look for "Love, yes. Word known to all men." but that was accidentally omitted in older editions. Search for "word known to" and if you get 2 hits, it's an older edition, the missing line was restored later, making 3 search hits.

Flyonwall
11-30-2010, 07:23 AM
2-chapter 3, Proteus, line 199, the telegram Stephen received has a typo (and a typical Joycean pun) "Nother dying come home father" but pre-70s editions had the error "fixed" to read "Mother dying..." The "typo" is intentional otherwise the previous line "curiosity" makes no sense.
[/QUOTE]

'Nother' is that like noter i.e someone who writes a note? or 'nother' as in another dying? or something else? :)

Macintosh
12-04-2010, 09:44 AM

'Nother' is that like noter i.e someone who writes a note? or 'nother' as in another dying? or something else? :)[/QUOTE]

It's a pun on "another" is dying.