PDA

View Full Version : Surrealistic Films

DanielBenoit
11-22-2009, 04:04 PM
What are some of the most dream-like or weirdest films you've seen?

Surreal:
8 1/2
Un Chien Andalou
Amnacord
The Night of the Hunter
Eyes Wide Shut
Most of the works of Buster Keaton (excluding The General)

Odd and Quircky:
Stroszek
The Wizard of Oz
Wild at Heart

Just plain weird (but still great):
Inland Empire
Muholland Drive
Lost Highway
Donnie Darko
Jacob's Latter

I'm probably forgetting a lot, I'll add some more later. What are some of your weirdest experiences at the cinema?

Eryk
11-22-2009, 04:09 PM
2001: A Space Odyssey

The City of Lost Children (La Cité des enfants perdus)

Coraline

DanielBenoit
11-22-2009, 04:10 PM
2001: A Space Odyssey

Well of course I would've included that. But I just feel that despite its ambiguous ending and many surreal moments, it just transcends surrealism. Such as great film.

Haunted
11-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Big Fish

stlukesguild
11-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Jean Cocteau- Blood of the Poet (Le Sang d'un Poete)
David Lynch- Eraserhead
F. W. Murnau- Nosferatu (although this is actually classic German Expressionism as opposed to Surrealism)
Bunuel and Dali- L'Âge d'or
Peter Greenaway- Prospero's Books and The Pillow Book
Lars von Trier- Europa (Zentropa in the US),
Jan Švankmajer- Faust and Alice
Andrei Tarkovsky- The Mirror
Terry Gilliam- Brazil

Dirtbag
11-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Odd and Quirky:

Amelie

Surreal:

The Science of Sleep
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Synecdoche New York
Being John Malkovich
The Fall

I don't know if surreal would be the right word for some of them.

NickAdams
12-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Three films by Bunuel are be shown for free online 'til the end of December:
http://www.theauteurs.com/programs/45?utm_medium=email&utm_source=Newsletter&utm_content=701947922&utm_campaign=BunuelRetrospectiveUS+_+utkjhy&utm_term=Watch+Now

1n50mn14
12-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Rape of the Vampire (which had nothing to do with rape or vampires. Disappointing.)

Picnic at Hanging Rock

100 Days of Sodom (speaks for itself...)

Mathor
12-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Dark City - Alex Proyas
Pi - Darran Aronofsky
Videodrome - David Cronenburg (weirdest film i've ever seen, and that's saying something)
Naked Lunch - David Cronenburg
Faust - Jan Švankmajer
Being John Malkovitch - Spike Jonze
A Scanner Darkly - Richard Linklater
The Kingdom - Lars Von Trier
Repulsion - Roman Polanski
Un Chien Andalou - Luis Bunuel
My Dinner With Andre - Louis Malle
Blood Tea and Red String - Christiane Cegavske
Conspirators of Pleasure - Jan Svankmajer
The Testament of Orpheus - Jean Cocteau
The Mirror - Margarita Terekhova
The Virgin Suicides - Sofia Coppola

DanielBenoit
12-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Takashi Miike's Audition takes the cake for most eff'ed up.

JuniperWoolf
12-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Eraserhead. Oh my God. The first time I ever saw that film, the pterodactyl-foetus baby gave me wicked nightmares.

Pi - Darran Aronofsky

That's by far the best film that I've ever seen. It was really significant to me, it changed my whole life. So did The Fountain, but to a somewhat lesser extent. Pi really just shook me to the core. Aronofsky is a genius. He hasn't gotten the recognition that he deserves (yet).

DanielBenoit
12-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Eraserhead. Oh my God. The first time I ever saw that film, the pterodactyl-foetus baby gave me wicked nightmares.

If you think Eraserhead was weird go see Inland Empire. A bit overlong, but hell, it's David Lynch at his best and most surreal (with the exception of Eraserhead and his short-film The Grandmother)

That's by far the best film that I've ever seen. It was really significant to me, it changed my whole life. So did The Fountain, but to a somewhat lesser extent. Pi really just shook me to the core. Aronofsky is a genius. He hasn't gotten the recognition that he deserves (yet).

Well his most recent film The Wresler did get nominated for Best Picture last year at the Academy Awards.

http://www.theauteurs.com/programs/45?utm_medium=email&utm_source=Newsletter&utm_content=701947922&utm_campaign=BunuelRetrospectiveUS+_+utkjhy&utm_term=Watch+Now

Oh wow, thanks!

If any of you guys want to see pure surrealism, see the films in the above link. Go check out Fellini while you're at it as well.

pjjrfan1
12-06-2009, 08:30 PM

thanks, I remember seeing "The exterminating angel" and being totally into that movie to the point I wanted to scream out of frustration. Eraserhead, wierd, that chicken dance,wow. I also liked Pan's labyrynth, and thought that to be surreal.

JuniperWoolf
12-06-2009, 08:33 PM
No, it got nominated for Best Actor. I do think that Mickey should've won, too. I think that Sean Penn's win was more political and not based on actual performance (but I'm very biased, so don't take that to the bank). The Wrestler and Requiem have gotten a lot of praise, but The Fountain was bashed by many stupid mainstream film critics (who, in my opinion, should consider another vocation) and I don't hear nearly enough about how awesome Pi is.

DanielBenoit
12-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Btw, if anybody wants to see one of the most surreal films of the classical Hollywood era, and also one of the best, SEE Night of the Hunter. The riverboat seen is pure cinematic poetry.

Jackiemaggio
03-07-2010, 02:09 AM
I Heart Huckabees, anyone? Weirdest movie I've sat through.