PDA

View Full Version : Best television show?

JuniperWoolf
11-22-2009, 04:30 AM
I mean best as in well-done, not necessarily your favorite. My favorite TV show is Buffy, but I have to say that the BEST is Northern Exposure.

Lokasenna
11-22-2009, 04:51 AM
I basically only watch two things: Doctor Who and Have I Got News For You. Both are fantastic, and should be watched because of their consistent quality and originality - pretty much everything else is dross...

Dirtbag
11-22-2009, 05:23 AM
Sesame Street

JuniperWoolf
11-22-2009, 05:25 AM
I basically only watch two things: Doctor Who and Have I Got News For You. Both are fantastic, and should be watched because of their consistent quality and originality - pretty much everything else is dross...

When I argue that Buffy is the smartest show ever made, people often tell me to give Doctor Who a shot. I probably should one of these days.

Eryk
11-22-2009, 05:27 AM
I watch LOST and House. James Earl Jones gave a powerful performance on House in an episode called The Tyrant (http://www.hulu.com/watch/101640/house-the-tyrant), in the current season. I think it's one of the best TV episodes I've ever seen.

Dirtbag
11-22-2009, 05:53 AM
I watch LOST and House. James Earl Jones gave a powerful performance on House in an episode called The Tyrant (http://www.hulu.com/watch/101640/house-the-tyrant), in the current season. I think it's one of the best TV episodes I've ever seen.
That episode was crazy. This season has been thrilling but I wouldn't consider it a consistently good show worthy of being the best.

Dead Like Me is the only show that I ever thought good enough to buy. Original premise with a decent soundtrack. I didn't think they did too well on CGI but they wrote interesting scenarios. My favourite aspect of the show were the characters. I doubt it would ever be considered the best though since it only ran for two seasons. I think longevity is important.

Gilliatt Gurgle
11-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Star Trek (the original series) is by far the best TV show. Here’s a groovy snippet from one of my favorite episodes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hszX-8-gt1I

After Star Trek, it is a toss up between “The Real McCoy’s”, “Hogan’s Hero’s”, “Leave it to Beaver” and “Gunsmoke”

Gilliatt

Lokasenna
11-22-2009, 01:24 PM
When I argue that Buffy is the smartest show ever made, people often tell me to give Doctor Who a shot. I probably should one of these days.

I'm not really into Buffy, I must admit. Whenever I've watched it, my mind just keeps wandering what Anthony Head is doing there... he just seems so out of place.

Doctor Who is tremendously intelligent, for the most part. It doesn't insult the viewer's intelligence, and it is always well written, well plotted, and well acted. Do give it a try!

papayahed
11-22-2009, 01:30 PM
uhhhh...

X-Files
Star Trek - TNG
Eureka

Admin
11-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Lost

The floundered a little bit in season 3ish, but after they had an end date it has been awesome. Consistently the best writing of a show I have ever seen. The episode called "The Constant" was the single best episode of TV of any show I had ever seen. With as complex as the show is there are so many pit falls for the writers do do some deus ex machina or otherwise make it lame, but they have threaded the needle.

The first season of the new Battlestar Galactica was probably the best single-season of anything I have seen, too bad the writing on that show went to crap.

rimbaud
11-22-2009, 01:42 PM
House MD.
love it! and South Park

there are a lot of good shows, I really liked Friends, and I kinda like Two and a Half Men

DanielBenoit
11-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Not into TV at all, but I think Monty Python is the only time in the history of television in which genius was allowed onto the screen. The first season of Twin Peaks was masterful as well. Of sitcoms, Seinfeld was the one with by far the best writing, but even then it had some downsides.

The Comedian
11-22-2009, 02:14 PM
I have to say that the BEST is Northern Exposure.

JuniperWoolf, your genius shows through once again. Northern Exposure is the BEST tv show by a mile. It's so much better than anything else, that I don't think there should even be a second place.

papayahed
11-22-2009, 02:39 PM
I only watch shows that are in the canon.

Fen
11-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Sports Night
Fraiser
Torchwood

Very intelligent and emotionally engaging shows.

DanielBenoit
11-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Not into TV at all, but I think Monty Python is the only time in the history of television in which genius was allowed onto the screen. The first season of Twin Peaks was masterful as well. Of sitcoms, Seinfeld was the one with by far the best writing, but even then it had some downsides.

Aren't I unjust! Krzysztof Kieślowski's Polish TV mini-series The Decalouge is by far the best thing that's ever come on television in the past thrity or so years.

The Comedian
11-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Aren't I unjust! Krzysztof Kieślowski's Polish TV mini-series The Decalouge is by far the best thing that's ever come on television in the past thrity or so years.

I take it you haven't see Northern Exposure. . .:D

Dinkleberry2010
11-24-2009, 09:12 PM
I think The Twilight Zone is the best program that's ever been on television.

Helga
11-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Star trek tos and tng
heroes
house

JuniperWoolf
11-26-2009, 06:27 PM
JuniperWoolf, your genius shows through once again. Northern Exposure is the BEST tv show by a mile. It's so much better than anything else, that I don't think there should even be a second place.

I am so glad you said that. I was starting to think that no one here had ever heard of Northern Exposure. I was watching the episode about feminism where Maggie finds the native artifacts in her yard when I posted this thread, hoping that someone would be able to lead me to another show that even compares.

DanielBenoit
11-26-2009, 06:31 PM
I am so glad you said that. I was starting to think that no one here had ever heard of Northern Exposure. I was watching the episode about feminism where Maggie finds the native artifacts in her yard when I posted this thread, hoping that someone would be able to lead me to another show that even compares.

I take it you haven't see Northern Exposure. . .:D

Alright, now I'm convinced to see it. Though I would reccomend checking out The Decalouge series, they're all on Youtube :nod:

qimissung
11-26-2009, 08:20 PM
I love Northern Exposure. I don't know if it's the best ever, according to your definition, but I know I love it. Haven't seen it in awhile; I would love to own it. Currently I am in love with Dexter; I think this is their best season so far.

Shalot
11-26-2009, 10:12 PM
I love Fringe these days. I am upset that it isn't on tonight. Stupid Thanksgiving. :-)

Gadget Girl
11-27-2009, 05:08 PM
The X-Files

I love Sci-Fi shows. I'm currently watching V and FlashForward.

Shalot
11-27-2009, 07:43 PM
The X-Files

I love Sci-Fi shows. I'm currently watching V and FlashForward.

Do you watch Fringe then? If not, I highly recommend it. Fox. Thursday nights.

Gadget Girl
11-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Yes, I've heard of it, but I've never seen an episode yet. I'll probably gonna give the show a chance and start watching from the pilot until next Thursday. :D

papayahed
11-28-2009, 12:26 AM
I've been meaning to watch the new V, how is that??

Basil
11-28-2009, 01:08 AM
I watched the first 4 episodes on Hulu, mainly because the original V mini-series was THE television event of my middle school years. Eh, it's not great, but it's not terrible either. The acting is pretty strong (Elizabeth Mitchell, in particular, is very good), so it's possible the show may improve after it returns from its hiatus.

Basil
11-28-2009, 01:22 AM
And since Lily isn't around to say it:

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq298/Mr-Sack/mstlogo.jpg?t=1259385418

Flawless execution of a brilliant idea.

Gadget Girl
11-28-2009, 04:15 AM

V is very good. :nod: It gets better each week. Right now, it's on a break and the next episode will air on March next year. :bawling:

I love the show because it kinda has a similarity to a fad that we're always hearing about these days. What that fad is, I won't tell because it might spark some sensitive passion amongst our younger folks. ;) If you look closer, you'll know what I mean.

Anyway, another thing that I love about this show is that each episode is interesting and exciting. The characters are fine and seem to have a good sense of their own (except for Tyler, gosh I hate him). The graphics are great for a television show as well. It feels like I'm watching a movie because they way they filmed it is for that of a feature film which is a plus point for me. I suppose it will get much fascinating once it gets back, though. I think the first month is just for introducing the characters and get a basic idea for what's about to come (for those who are unfamiliar about the story).

I watched the first 4 episodes on Hulu, mainly because the original V mini-series was THE television event of my middle school years. Eh, it's not great, but it's not terrible either. The acting is pretty strong (Elizabeth Mitchell, in particular, is very good), so it's possible the show may improve after it returns from its hiatus.

I haven't seen the old mini-series yet. I got the DVD just in case if I decided to watch. I'm interested to know the original because the remake is quite decent in my opinion. But I know that originals are always the best. :D

I agree with you about Elizabeth Mitchell. Although at first, I thought she wasn't good for the role of an FBI agent, because she was too feminine in the first couple of episodes, but I like her character now. :p

DanielBenoit
11-28-2009, 04:38 AM
Ingmar Bergman's Fanny and Alexander anyone? Okay, not technically television, for it was released theatrically, but originally aired on Swedish television in its full length of 312 minutes.

billl
11-28-2009, 04:53 AM

Well, gadgetgirl is praising it to the skies! I want to tone the praise down a bit, although I do like the show. The acting is sometimes a bit iffy. The plot is a bit iffy, also--I mean, sometimes things are a bit unbelievable, or slow-moving. In my opinion, what is happening is that there are some hidden things going on, maybe surprises and twists on the way--but a few misteps here and there might lead one to believe that ANYTHING that doesn't click perfectly is maybe a mistake. Actually, I think some of it is on purpose... We'll see.

It is worth noting that the next episodes (after the hiatus) will be written and produced by a new bunch of talent, and I've seen people in other forums pretty excited about these guys (I can't remember what else they've been in, but, again, people are pretty psyched about it...)

This show has potential. The first two weren't great, in my opinion, but the next two were better, and if you have time for 4 episodes of pretty pulpy sci-fi made for TV (with decent effects now and then, as gadget girl points out), then that is the right mindset. There is still the possibility of addressing some interesting themes with this story. What would be REALLY great would be a new batch of eps that make use of the "set-up" that's been accomplished.

I also appreciate gadgetgirl's comments about fads that might be alluded to. Not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but no need to go into detail here, either way...

Silas Thorne
11-28-2009, 05:32 AM
'Dexter' maybe, for all those fans of black humour and vigilanteism?

Gadget Girl
11-28-2009, 08:47 AM
Well, gadgetgirl is praising it to the skies! I want to tone the praise down a bit, although I do like the show. The acting is sometimes a bit iffy. The plot is a bit iffy, also--I mean, sometimes things are a bit unbelievable, or slow-moving. In my opinion, what is happening is that there are some hidden things going on, maybe surprises and twists on the way--but a few misteps here and there might lead one to believe that ANYTHING that doesn't click perfectly is maybe a mistake. Actually, I think some of it is on purpose... We'll see.

It is worth noting that the next episodes (after the hiatus) will be written and produced by a new bunch of talent, and I've seen people in other forums pretty excited about these guys (I can't remember what else they've been in, but, again, people are pretty psyched about it...)

This show has potential. The first two weren't great, in my opinion, but the next two were better, and if you have time for 4 episodes of pretty pulpy sci-fi made for TV (with decent effects now and then, as gadget girl points out), then that is the right mindset. There is still the possibility of addressing some interesting themes with this story. What would be REALLY great would be a new batch of eps that make use of the "set-up" that's been accomplished.

I also appreciate gadgetgirl's comments about fads that might be alluded to. Not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but no need to go into detail here, either way...

The acting is sometimes a bit iffy, I won't deny that, but it's just television. Well, okay, I know there are great shows out there which have great actors who are great at acting, but I guess we can forgive them for trying, right? Maybe they'll be preferable next time.

Acceptably, some things are quite unbelievable, because we don't really know what the other creatures apart from us do when they visit another planet, now do we? :p

I say that the first episode was rushed, as most people have stated. However, without it, I probably would not watch the show. The pilot, for me, was good because it somehow told me that the show will be great in the first season or two. Pilots are important, because they're like one of the foregrounds of a story, telling you at firsthand whether you will like the plot or not. I tried watching the first episode of The Vampire Diaries on its premiere night last September and I can immediately say and agree to myself that I won't be ever watching a second episode from that show again.

Yes, thank you for grasping to my 'lil hints. :D I guess you have read my mind, billl. ;)

Basil
11-28-2009, 04:19 PM
I haven't seen the old mini-series yet. I got the DVD just in case if I decided to watch. I'm interested to know the original because the remake is quite decent in my opinion. But I know that originals are always the best. :D
Actually, I think the original in this case was pretty lame; it just seemed great to a bunch of kids who didn't know any better. :p But I have hope for the current series. The elements of the original that seemed cool at the time are yet to come in the current series, and I think they can be redone in a way that will make for some really engaging television...

OrphanPip
11-28-2009, 04:35 PM
I think the first few seasons of the X-files were some of my favorite moments in TV history.

For nostalgia's sake, the original Degrassi Jr. High and Degrassi High for those of you in Canada :p

Pryderi Agni
11-29-2009, 03:00 AM
Smallville, almost certainly...

Taliesin
11-29-2009, 07:54 AM
Not a very big fan of TV shows, but I do have to note Firefly here.

Gadget Girl
11-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Actually, I think the original in this case was pretty lame; it just seemed great to a bunch of kids who didn't know any better. :p But I have hope for the current series. The elements of the original that seemed cool at the time are yet to come in the current series, and I think they can be redone in a way that will make for some really engaging television...

Yeah, definitely. :thumbs_up But I'm still gonna watch the original, anyway. Yesterday, I previewed some of the scenes and they made me curious. In fact, I think I'll start during this Christmas break.

I think the first few seasons of the X-files were some of my favorite moments in TV history.

My favorite seasons of The X-Files, however, were those near the end -- perhaps, from seven to nine. ;)

sixsmith
12-01-2009, 07:32 AM
'The Wire' is the best television show in history.

Strange Aeons
12-01-2009, 09:23 AM
One of the best shows was really a Canada-only type of thing
That show was the Trailer Park Boys and without Ricky, Julian and Bubbles, I'd be in an asylum having nothing to nurse a nervous breakdown with haha

But really, it was a great show and very clever. What on the surface looked like low-brow humor was actually well-thought and planned comedy gold.
If anybody needs to laugh I suggest watching an episode of it.

Lokasenna
12-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Can we include non-current TV?

If so, then Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister, Fawlty Towers, 'Allo 'Allo and Blackadder must go on the list of fantastic television... if only they could make stuff like that today!

DanielBenoit
12-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Fawlty Towers

Oh yes!!! Best sitcom in the history of television, IMHO. Funny how the best television shows seem to only last no more than two years (Monty Python, Twin Peaks).

Dori
12-01-2009, 02:31 PM
What about The Office?!?!?!?!
(The American version, of course)

Haunted
12-01-2009, 03:01 PM
'Dexter' maybe, for all those fans of black humour and vigilanteism?

Maybe? It's a huge yes!

NCIS shares the top spot on my list.

Strange Aeons
12-02-2009, 02:59 AM
What about The Office?!?!?!?!
(The American version, of course)

Honestly, the Gervais-headed UK Office is considerably better, in my opinion.

Where's my hell yeah?

-Grandpa

sixsmith
12-02-2009, 06:40 AM
Honestly, the Gervais-headed UK Office is considerably better, in my opinion.

Where's my hell yeah?

-Grandpa

I like the US version but the UK Office is a television classic.

DanielBenoit
12-05-2009, 12:22 AM
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is what I think the smartest comedy-shows to be on tv in years. Its perverse cruelty, unsympathetic and nihilstic characters are the absolute antithesis to these boring sentimental and corny sitcoms in which everybody always hugs each other in bitter irony at the end. A true sucssessor to Seinfeld.

Janine
12-05-2009, 12:40 AM
I discovered this show called "Life" and I really like it. Of course, it's no longer on; I am watching the episodes online at NBC....It's a good edgy detective cop story with some quirky characters and interesting plots and entanglements. I am trying to put together the various clues to why the main character was framed and sent to prison unjustly; each segment ends with him gazing at a wall with photos that make up a diagram of possible connections to the perpetrators in his own case. My friend watched it when it aired and she said it was a good show and we both wondered why they took it off the air. Anybody here see the show before? Just curious.

JuniperWoolf
12-06-2009, 06:22 PM
One of the best shows was really a Canada-only type of thing
That show was the Trailer Park Boys and without Ricky, Julian and Bubbles, I'd be in an asylum having nothing to nurse a nervous breakdown with haha.

That show was great. I loved Tom Collins. "Randy will NOT jump the cheeseburger unless he has a marijuana cigarette."

Another wickedly awesome Canadian TV show:
THE LITTLEST HOBO!
Holy mackeral, I loved that german shepard.

OrphanPip
12-06-2009, 07:22 PM
That show was great. I loved Tom Collins. "Randy will NOT jump the cheeseburger unless he has a marijuana cigarette."

Another wickedly awesome Canadian TV show:
THE LITTLEST HOBO!
Holy mackeral, I loved that german shepard.

I used to love that show as a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ1FCDCiosk

Captain_Kuchiki
12-25-2009, 08:40 PM
House, M.D. is definitely the best TV show, in my mind.

Shalot
12-26-2009, 01:04 PM
The Big Bang Theory. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Sheldon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX0FXhWicEI&feature=PlayList&p=2F338407349C4B73&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1

papayahed
12-26-2009, 01:11 PM
The Big Bang Theory. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Sheldon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX0FXhWicEI&feature=PlayList&p=2F338407349C4B73&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1

I know, right??:D

Niamh
12-26-2009, 03:04 PM
I'm currently obsessed with Doctor Who and Torchwood. Hello Ianto and Captain Jack!

morgana
12-26-2009, 04:56 PM
I never get tired of "Seinfeld"!!

Serenity now!!!

Idril
12-30-2009, 11:38 AM
I discovered this show called "Life" and I really like it. Of course, it's no longer on; I am watching the episodes online at NBC....It's a good edgy detective cop story with some quirky characters and interesting plots and entanglements. I am trying to put together the various clues to why the main character was framed and sent to prison unjustly; each segment ends with him gazing at a wall with photos that make up a diagram of possible connections to the perpetrators in his own case. My friend watched it when it aired and she said it was a good show and we both wondered why they took it off the air. Anybody here see the show before? Just curious.

Oh, Janine, I loved that show! Of course I'm a sucker for anything Damian Lewis does but apart from the obvious eye candy, I thought it was very well done. It had unique characters and plots, wonderful actors and the music was just amazing! I have bought so much music because I was introduced to it through that show. I have a Life playlist on iTunes and it's one of my favorite playlists. The final scene of the last show just killed me, knowing that we would never see the resolution. I had read somewhere that they were trying to shop it around to a couple of cable networks but obviously, that didn't happen. :(

And Shalot and Papaya, yes, The Big Bang is brilliant. I'm a newcomer to it, just happened upon it by accident but what a happy accident it was! :nod:

cs4jws
01-14-2010, 09:28 AM
I will stay home, cancel important dates and whatnot for

GLEE!

Yes, I am a 'gleek' and very proud of it....LOL

~Cat :p

papayahed
01-14-2010, 10:08 AM
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is what I think the smartest comedy-shows to be on tv in years. Its perverse cruelty, unsympathetic and nihilstic characters are the absolute antithesis to these boring sentimental and corny sitcoms in which everybody always hugs each other in bitter irony at the end. A true sucssessor to Seinfeld.

How'd I miss this one? I love me some It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I find myself often saying "awwww really?" especially when the one guy tried to seduce the other guy's mother.

DanielBenoit
01-22-2010, 09:01 PM
The Office (US version) is a suprisingly high quality show. Steve Carrol may possibly be the master of comedic delivery in television today because it's not what he says that is funny, but how he says it. His facial expression. Subtle little details. An excellent show.

marcolfo
01-22-2010, 09:56 PM
seinfeld is my favorite
I actually learned English just by watching Seinfeld.

i´m the wiz and noooobody beats me

sixsmith
01-23-2010, 03:59 AM
The Office (US version) is a suprisingly high quality show. Steve Carrol may possibly be the master of comedic delivery in television today because it's not what he says that is funny, but how he says it. His facial expression. Subtle little details. An excellent show.

Agreed. A very different show to its progenitor but unquestionably funny nevertheless.

sixsmith
01-23-2010, 04:29 AM
The Guardian recently published a list of the 50 best television dramas of all time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2010/jan/12/guardian-50-television-dramas

Personally, I think their radar is way off. It is perhaps to be expected that several solid rather than brilliant British programs (mini-series included) found their way to the top end of the list. And I can deal with The Sopranos at #1. The real crime, however, is The Wire at 14. One of the major creative achievements of the last 25 years, period. And it gets rolled by Queer as Folk for christ's sake. And no Deadwood. Pfft. Philistines.

bazarov
01-23-2010, 05:24 AM
I must say that I am shocked that in whole thread nobody mentioned Only Fools And Horses!

Also, who likes shows about mafia - leave lousy and unreal Sopranos (I really don't understand how could someone after watching The Godfather triology watch that crap) and try to look for Brigada, series about Russian mafia; much more realistic then The Sopranos.

Dirtbag
01-23-2010, 06:38 AM
The Guardian recently published a list of the 50 best television dramas of all time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2010/jan/12/guardian-50-television-dramas

Personally, I think their radar is way off. It is perhaps to be expected that several solid rather than brilliant British programs (mini-series included) found their way to the top end of the list. And I can deal with The Sopranos at #1. The real crime, however, is The Wire at 14. One of the major creative achievements of the last 25 years, period. And it gets rolled by Queer as Folk for christ's sake. And no Deadwood. Pfft. Philistines.
lol, Coronation Street.

This show is the best.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0c/Man_vs._Wild_title_screenshot.jpg

sixsmith
01-23-2010, 06:47 AM
lol, Coronation Street.

This show is the best.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0c/Man_vs._Wild_title_screenshot.jpg

I caught an episode the other night. The guy was in a desert somewhere, eating spiders and generally getting his Daniel Boone on.

JuniperWoolf
01-23-2010, 06:52 AM
I actually learned English just by watching Seinfeld.

:lol: That's fantastic.

prendrelemick
01-23-2010, 07:36 AM
The Life and Loves of a She Devil, is a glaring omission. It was one of those rare dramas where you had no idea what would happen next.

And what about Pride and Predjudice - the Colin Firth one?

NickAdams
01-29-2010, 01:01 AM
Scenes from a Marriage and Carnivale. Curb Your Enthusiasm was a great series, but they lost the dynamic in the finale season. I like the American Office better than the original, but they seem to be milking it nowadays. I have to give Gervais and Merchant credit for moving on after two seasons (series). I did enjoy Extras and I have to admit that I watched it more for Merchant as Darren Lamb than anything else, but it had a great comedic dynamic all around.

billl
01-29-2010, 04:37 AM
I caught an episode the other night. The guy was in a desert somewhere, eating spiders and generally getting his Daniel Boone on.

There's a great one with Will Ferrell. I have only seen maybe three eps, but yeah, it's a good show. (apparently there is 'a bit' of editing or staging or whatever, and that caused some controversy--but he is pretty hardcore, and the controversy was maybe overdone in the big scheme of things...).

mtpspur
01-29-2010, 05:03 AM
If I may--Best Western--Have Gun Will Travel; Best private show--Tie between Rockford Files and Harry O; Best medical drama--Dr. Kildare for the old timers, ER for the newbies; Best spy series: Danger Man/Secret Agent (in one hour format); Comedy--Cheers; Best Drama--original Fugitive series with David Jannssen; Best guilty pleasures -- Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Le Femme Nikita and Dallas.

Idril
01-29-2010, 09:59 AM
Best guilty pleasures -- Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Le Femme Nikita and Dallas.

Oh, I haven't thought of Le Femme Nikita for quite awhile. I loved that show...or perhaps it was just the character of Michael I loved. :p

DanielBenoit
01-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Scenes from a Marriage

AND Fanny and Alexander.

Kieślowski's Dekalog is great as well.

NickAdams
01-30-2010, 12:21 PM
AND Fanny and Alexander.

Kieślowski's Dekalog is great as well.

I haven't seen Fanny and Alexander yet.:blush:

I have to check out Dekalog as well.

Has anybody watched Von Trier's Riget?

Idril
01-30-2010, 12:24 PM

Oh, that is such an amazing film! Among my favorites of Bergman's.

DanielBenoit
01-30-2010, 12:26 PM

Well I haven't seen Scenes from a Marriage yet :blush: :lol:

Idril
01-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Well I haven't seen Scenes from a Marriage yet :blush: :lol:

Oh, that's a good one too! Very emotionally exhausting...as most of his films are I suppose but it seems like this one was a little more wrenching.

DanielBenoit
01-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Has anybody watched Von Trier's Riget?

Idk, but for some reason I was kind of suprised to learn about this mini-series. The fact that this had enough supernatural elements in it to inspire Stephen King to base a mini-series off of it doesn't sound like Von Trier (even though he did make Antichrist). Though I'm sure it's good. And even though I can hardly imagine a Von Trier limited by television censors, I will definitley have to check it out some time. The sepia tone and wry "Twin Peaks style" humour makes it sound interesting.

thetinkris
02-02-2010, 03:35 AM
The original Twilight Zone. My heart is a-flutter just thinking about it. I love it to death. :)

JuniperWoolf
02-02-2010, 03:41 AM
The original Twilight Zone. My heart is a-flutter just thinking about it. I love it to death. :)

I have a framed photo of Rod Serling hanging on the wall beside my bed.

thetinkris
02-02-2010, 04:07 AM
I have a framed photo of Rod Serling hanging on the wall beside my bed.

Do you kiss him goodnight before you fall asleep each night?

JuniperWoolf
02-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Haha, I don't want to make the glass all grubby, but it makes my day better when his is the first face that I see in the morning.

wlz
02-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Only Fools and Horses
Steptoe and Son
Mash
Poridge
The Good Life

millymichaelson
02-21-2010, 01:45 PM
I love the Office, that show has had the best writers in television for a while now. The characters are amazing and it is so hilarious, pure genius.

Silverblue
02-23-2010, 07:35 AM
"Buffy"

"Profit"

"X-Files"

"Twin Peaks"

carleymarie
03-18-2010, 04:06 AM
For nostalgia's sake, the original Degrassi Jr. High and Degrassi High for those of you in Canada :p

Gosh yes! We should all watch Degrassi. If those aren't life lessons, I don't know what is. Don't forget about Kids of Degrassi Street (and the first 5-6 seasons of TNG).

For my favourites:

Gilmore Girls (speed talking and references to everything)
Veronica Mars (Twin Peaks meets Nancy Drew; "Veronica Mars is smarter than you")
Alias (the first of many J.J. Abrams show addictions: LOST, Felicity)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (love vampires and Joss is a genius)
Smallville (love Superman)

I wouldn't argue that they would be on the best list of everyone, but they're my favourites.

Mariner
03-19-2010, 07:17 PM
SEINFELD

*end of thread*

DanielBenoit
05-23-2010, 02:31 AM
Arrested Development! I can't believe that I've been missing this all these years! Hands-down, the BEST sitcom of the 2000's and I am willing to fight to the death for that. Never have I laughed as much within 22 minutes of an American television show (I exclude England for reasons being Fawlty Towers and Monty Python). This is television at its finest, cleverest and smartest. The inside-jokes and self-reflexitivity are comparable to that of The Simpsons and its narcissistic characters comparable to that of Seinfeild. And jeez is this show infinitley quotable and endless in its brilliant moments of insanity. (WMD's turn out to be balls, Michael's fiancée is actually a MRF, GOB's pitiful magic tricks) And I must not forget the spot-on narration by Ron Howard which is consistently self-referential.

Sadly, the genius of this show lasted only three seasons after a cancellation due to a lack of ratings, despite vivid and almost unaminously positive critical praise. The very fact that a show like Two and a Half Men, which started its run around the same time, is still on-air is a mark of shame on the television industry.

Must-see episodes: Top Banana ("Oh my God! It's a fire sale!"), Pier Pressure ("And that’s why you always leave a note."), Good Grief! ("Here he comes. Here comes John Wayne. “I’m not going to cry about my Pa. I’m going to build an airport— put my name on it.”"), Mr. F (Tobias is a "mole").

victorianfan
05-23-2010, 02:34 AM
For me, it'd be:

The Black Adder

Only Fools and Horses

Seinfeld

Sex and the City

OrphanPip
05-23-2010, 03:20 AM
Gosh yes! We should all watch Degrassi. If those aren't life lessons, I don't know what is. Don't forget about Kids of Degrassi Street (and the first 5-6 seasons of TNG).

Lol, I can't believe someone agreed with me 2 months ago and I didn't notice. Degrassi is classic moralizing melo-drama and I love every last second of it. Even the dreadful last 2-3 seasons of TNG.

PBS recently put up the first season of Degrassi Jr. High on youtube. Anyone with an interest in bad teen acting must watch! Apparently, no one working for public television has the sense to number the episodes or organize them in a playlist though. (Oops, apparently someone did have the sense all 26 episodes in order in a playlist)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI9RNOGHqYY

Edit: As an aside, only the CBC in Canada agreed to run this episode, PBS in the US and the BBC refused to run that episode during the shows original run.

Sirkka
05-23-2010, 05:09 AM
For me:

Gilmore Girls,
Sex and the City,
Battlestar Galactica,
Stargate SG1 & Atlantis,
Moonlight,
Raumpatrouille Orion,
Glory Days

=)

Gilliatt Gurgle
05-23-2010, 10:06 AM
How about the Carol Burnett show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RqzclCLrP0

I laughed more at their attempts to hold back laughter than the actual skit.

PrinceMyshkin
05-23-2010, 10:49 AM
i suspect this is slightly off-topic, but I will sorely miss "Bill Moyers' Journal," which he has left.

As for some of the others mentioned, I did love "Degrassi St", first season, when my daughter starred in one of the episodes.

Of others that have been mentioned, Black Adder, Mad About You, an Australian sit-com called (I think) Mother and Son; of course Fawlty Towers and one that was called, I think Good Neighbours.

I loved Homicide; Prime Suspect and tonight, largely for the innovative music, I'll be watching Lost, the final episode.

Jesterhead
05-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Family Guy
Scrubs
South Park
Simpsons
How I met your mother

Night_Lamp
05-31-2010, 09:33 PM
Twin Peaks. Truly, the most messed-up thing that's ever been on television. I watch the whole series yearly.

1n50mn14
06-01-2010, 08:49 PM
I've recently become addicted to Dr.Who. Other than that, I don't have TV, but I can often be found watching How I Met Your Mother, 30 Rock and The Simpsons online. ;)

DanielBenoit
06-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Oh God, thanks to OrphanPip, I've now been reintroduced to that masterpiece of awful camp, the original 1966 series Batman. Never has any show been so unintentionally funny.

This stuff is just classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLZQ3OLEJWE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp_9FEWgmFA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgP2lcXqGEc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGl6OlSczdU

papayahed
06-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Oh God, thanks to OrphanPip, I've now been reintroduced to that masterpiece of awful camp, the original 1966 series Batman. Never has any show been so unintentionally funny.

This stuff is just classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLZQ3OLEJWE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp_9FEWgmFA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgP2lcXqGEc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGl6OlSczdU

Ohhh I loved the old batman!

Desolation
06-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Californication
Dexter
Arrested Development

dafydd manton
06-11-2010, 05:02 PM
For the sheer suspense, the sense of Right and Wrong, the glamour, the graphics, the ever-thickening plot, the costumes, the technological prowess, the sheer grandeur of the English Language in full flow and the flamboyant if ironic use of hyperbole, The Weather Forecast.

DanielBenoit
06-15-2010, 11:37 PM
I am shocked that The Wire hasn't appeared on the list. One of the greatest TV shows ever.

sixsmith
06-16-2010, 04:30 AM
I am shocked that The Wire hasn't appeared on the list. One of the greatest TV shows ever.

See posts 40 and 63.

DanielBenoit
06-28-2010, 12:28 PM
See posts 40 and 63.

Ahh, you're a good man, Stan ;)

It may seem like critical sensationalism when people say that The Wire is the greatest TV show of all time, but it truly is, or at least amongst the greatest. I've only seen the first season so far and it has already obtained a level of depth and realism that is stunning. It is so well-written (by an ex-journalist) that it penetrates 'the system' as magnificently as it penetrates the human souls both on and off the streets. It is contemporary Greek tragedy at its finest with a novelistic narrative structure unrivaled even amongst some of the greatest television shows such as the Sorpranos.

It is a crime that while they allowed this show to stay for five glorious seasons, they allowed the shallow and oblivious Law and Order to stay on for more than a decade.

Speaking of crimes, the greatest sitcom of the decade, Arrested Development lasted only three seasons, while Two and a Half men (which started its run around the same time as AD) is still pushing on. What a dreadful shame. (And even if you like Two and a Half Men, it would be absurdity to call it anywhere as good as AD.)

Dodo25
06-28-2010, 01:05 PM
I've watched lots of shows. I like how nobody here has mentioned 'two and a half men' yet, I think it's awful but I know so many people who love it..

Here are my top four:

1. The Big Bang Theory
Definitely my favorite show. It has got sophisticated humor, not something one sees often in popular tv shows.. It's so good I gotta advertize it with a 24 seconds excerpt from the pilot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w59boLMnrbU

2. Boston Legal
It's a bit sexist, yet it too is 'intelligent' entertainment. Some cases are actually quite interesting philosophically, and Shore's closing arguments are brilliant.

3. South Park
Mocks literally everything.

4. How I Met Your Mother
Pretty funny, love the wordplays, yet not very deep altogether..

Tallon
07-04-2010, 11:00 PM
I think The Wire is my favourite of all time, i need to watch it for the 5th or so time again soon.
Lately i've enjoyed Modern Family, definitely owes alot to Arrested Development, very funny, sweet and smart.

minstrelbard
07-05-2010, 12:48 AM

Uh, that series was, actually, INTENTIONALLY funny. It says so here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_%28TV_series%29)

spookymulder93
07-05-2010, 07:30 PM
The Simpons is in a league of it's own and I don't think it would be fair to any other tv show to have to compete with them so for the sake of my list we're just going to assume that the Simpsons don't exist.

1. LOST
2. The Sopranos
3. The Wire

These 3 shows are some of the best television ever. I think in a few years the show Breaking Bad is going to become 4th on that list.

DanielBenoit
07-05-2010, 08:24 PM
The Simpons is in a league of it's own and I don't think it would be fair to any other tv show to have to compete with them so for the sake of my list we're just going to assume that the Simpsons don't exist.

Very true. The Simpsons has become such a cultural phenomenon that it's kinda hard to consider it with most television.

Pensive
07-20-2010, 10:17 PM
These days I am all for South Park! :) Impolite and crazy mockery of just about every other thing but definitely interesting! :p

Somebody recommended According to Jim to me as well. I wonder if anyone of you has got anything to say about it.

Scarlett O'Hara
08-09-2010, 07:55 AM
For me I have to begin at the witty, fast talking Gilmore Girls.
After that my list on tv shows goes like this (though it always changes):
2) How I Met Your Mother
3) 30 Rock
4) Friends
5) Veronica Mars (I don't care that it only got three seasons and the last season was not that great)
6) Big Bang Theory
7) The Office (both versions, they involve the same people anyway)

Paulclem
08-09-2010, 01:38 PM
The new Sherlock is pretty good.

prendrelemick
08-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Eggheads anyone?

Judith - a class act.
Daphne - the blue rinse assasin
CJ - fighting his camp side
Chris - not quite of this world.
Kevin - Mr personality.

kasie
08-10-2010, 08:05 AM
The new Sherlock is pretty good.

But only three episodes! :bawling: They must bring it back - please, Beeb, please.

What did you think of Moriarty? A bit too young? But I like the idea of a 'consulting criminal' like Sherlock's 'consulting detective'. And someone please kick LeStrade's nasty little sergeant, 'Freak', indeed.

Dr Watson needs a Good Woman - I'd volunteer but I'm too old for him.

manolia
08-12-2010, 07:40 AM
I spend the last few months watching stargate sg1 and stargate atlantis. Well i am a sucker when it comes to sci-fi, but these two series are really good :thumbsup:

Maximilianus
08-13-2010, 12:40 AM
Well i am a sucker when it comes to sci-fi, but these two series are really good :thumbsup:
No, you're not. We are just alike, and we're not suckers at all. We both have a very exquisite taste :p

Paulclem
08-13-2010, 04:35 AM
Eggheads anyone?

Judith - a class act.
Daphne - the blue rinse assasin
CJ - fighting his camp side
Chris - not quite of this world.
Kevin - Mr personality.

A succinct appraisal.

Whenever I've watched it the eggheads always seemed to get an easy clincher.

Anyway, I'm sick to death of quiz shows. :sick:

But only three episodes! :bawling: They must bring it back - please, Beeb, please.

What did you think of Moriarty? A bit too young? But I like the idea of a 'consulting criminal' like Sherlock's 'consulting detective'. And someone please kick LeStrade's nasty little sergeant, 'Freak', indeed.

Dr Watson needs a Good Woman - I'd volunteer but I'm too old for him.

I liked the running joke about worthwhile hobbies - stamp collecting etc.

Moriarty was a bit young, but they're after a young demographic I suppose.

The only thing I didn't like was the class thing with Sherlock being an upper class fellah, Dr. Watson being Middle, and the grammar corrected pleb in the last episode representing the working class. even though Sherlock's clearly a borderline psycho.

Wilde woman
08-20-2010, 12:36 PM
I'm taken with BBC's new Sherlock as well. It has such a stunning youthful look and great music. The writers (Steven Moffan!) seem very familiar with their source material and I love all the sly allusions and liberties they take with the stories. After the first episode, I wasn't sure how much I liked the fact that Holmes was using a Blackberry and blogging, but now I've adjusted and it seems to be working. "The Great Game" was a fantastic episode.

Lokasenna
08-21-2010, 05:35 AM

They've announced a second, longer series!

I was rather fond of it - it took me an episode to get sold on the character of Holmes himself ("But David, he IS you!" - my housemate Lola), but then I really found myself enjoying watching him. I thought Watson was excellent from the get go - they didn't do the usual thing of turning him into a bumbling imbecile.

I'm still not convinced by 'Jim', but I'm willing to have my mind changed. In many ways, it would have been better not to include Moriarty - he is far too over-exposed in Holmes media. I also rather liked Mark Gatiss' campy Mycroft - I'd half-hoped he would turn out to be Moriarty.

Still, good stuff!

Patrick_Bateman
09-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Frasier

/Thread

Abras
09-10-2010, 11:34 AM
The new Entertainment Weekly came today and it's all about the fall TV preview. I haven't read every word of it just yet, but so far the only new show that has me a little interested is that one with Steve Buscemi, "Boardwalk Empire" I think. Other than that, it will be nice to see some of my favorite shows come back: Mad Men, V, and Futurama (What? What d'ya mean Futuruama's not coming back till next summer? Why, God? Why?)

Edit: also note that Mad Men is many weeks into its new season already, and that I've watched most of the episodes -- I watched the latest one, in fact, just last Sunday. I dunno... I think may be going nutsy!

the facade
09-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Mad men without a doubt!