PDA

View Full Version : "Description of a Struggle"

FoghornBellows
11-16-2009, 12:40 PM
I recently purchased "Franz Kafka: The Complete Stories." I am reading "Description of a Struggle," and am incredibly exasperated and annoyed. It appears maddeningly enigmatic and perhaps devoid of actual meaning. However, I am only halfway through reading it. Would anyone be willing to provide me with advice for interpreting the story? It appears simply a stream of conscious scribbling of nonsensical symbolism and allegory. I, just, don't, get it. :smash:

FoghornBellows
11-16-2009, 09:24 PM
I can see this is a topic ripe for discussion! ;)

DanielBenoit
12-03-2009, 12:41 AM
Well, litnet is filled with students asking questions, and sadly most of them get buried under the pile of threads in the authors section. Either way, just be patient, even if the first answer is a bit of late.

Okay now to Kafka: The whole point of Kafka and the reason why he's so popular is because of his unnerving metaphors, grounded in an abyss of the unconscious. His stories are meant to effect the human mind and describe the deepest absurdities of modern life. A great interpritation of Kafka was that of Camus when he praised him for embodying spirit of the induvidual pitted against the absurd.

FoghornBellows
12-03-2009, 06:19 PM
I would state that that is a superlative explanation, but I don't believe I'm qualified at this point, as I've only read some aphorisms and "The Metamorphosis."
Thank you for responding to the post. You definitely know your stuff.