PDA

View Full Version : The Brotherhood Question

gibbytheherb
11-10-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm a little confused with the Brotherhood, are they 'evil', or are they just rebeling to get back to the normal way of living before the revolution? When I read that they know they're risking their lives, I was stumped on whether they're 'Good' or 'Bad'? Let me know on anyone's opinions, or ideas towards this, because I'd love to understand this novel..better!

The Atheist
11-12-2009, 03:49 AM
I'm a little confused with the Brotherhood, are they 'evil', or are they just rebeling to get back to the normal way of living before the revolution? When I read that they know they're risking their lives, I was stumped on whether they're 'Good' or 'Bad'? Let me know on anyone's opinions, or ideas towards this, because I'd love to understand this novel..better!

The Brotherhood is a fantasy - it doesn't exist.

It and the book are used to get dissidents to expose themselves, their fears and how far they will go - throwing acid etc.

Kant
02-16-2011, 01:56 AM
The existence of the Brotherhood is irrelevant. They could exist, or not. Either way, the Party is ever-lasting. Big Brother, O'Brien, and the Inner Party have constructed the perfect government. One that keeps everyone in line, thinks only of itself, knows the human psyche, learns from others mistakes, and is ruthless in its execution.

In reality, as we know it as free thinkers, the Brotherhood does not exist. In reality, as Oceania knows it, it does exist. People believe and think it exists, so it exists. However, there is no person in the Brotherhood so it does not exist.