PDA

View Full Version : Best Translation?

MorpheusSandman
11-10-2009, 07:56 PM
I think every forum of every major work from every author needs one of these threads... I think the title speaks for itself; any reviews on any translation is appreciated.

mono
11-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Eleanor Marx-Aveling, daughter of Karl Marx, wrote the first English translation in the late 1800's, and I have wanted to read her translation for some time, but have not quite gotten around to it yet. I read the Paul de Man translation years ago, which, I did not know until after I read it, seems raved of as one of the most superior translations of Madame Bovary; when I read it, it flowed beautifully, and seemed to preserve Flaubert's attempt at "le mot juste," but I have unfortunately not read the original in French (I only own it :D) - perhaps some much braver day!

L.M. The Third
06-08-2012, 01:08 PM
I'm resurrecting this old topic, because I'm about to read MB. I'm going to start online and maybe eventually get to the library and get an annotated version. I think the most common (if not only) translation online is the original Eleanor Marx-Aveling one. What does everyone think of it?

Yonville
11-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Never heard of Paul de Man. Most available today are Eleanor Marx-Aveling, Gerald Hopkins, Geoffrey Wall and Lydia Davis. See my comment under "old crock pianist" of the Kindle FULL LENGTH version of Marx and others. All have their faults, and Flaubert sadly gets the blame. Read my brilliantly fluent, yet accurate, translation exclusive to Kindle

Yonville
11-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Never heard of Paul de Man. Most available today are Eleanor Marx-Aveling, Gerald Hopkins, Geoffrey Wall and Lydia Davis. See my comment under "old crock pianist" of the Kindle FULL LENGTH version of Marx and others. All have their faults, and Flaubert sadly gets the blame. Read my brilliantly fluent, yet accurate, translation exclusive to Kindle