PDA

View Full Version : It's a sin! It's a sin!

DanielBenoit
11-01-2009, 10:18 PM
http://www.fanbolt.com/headline/5416/DiCaprio___Maguire_May_Star_In__The_Third_Man__Rem ake

Let me tell you a story: There was once a young man who indulged in the joys of film noirs, zither music and The Third Man. But his addiction to masterful black-and-white films starring Joseph Cotten and Orson Welles resulted in him being sent to a prison in which he was forced to watch remakes of immortal films starring Leonard DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire, real horror show. Soon he was released from prison, the general public being assured that he would no longer find enjoyment in great film noirs, thanks to some government treatment called "Hollywood ****-ups of Classics 114". Despite this, he still lusted for great film noirs, but became sick whenever coming into contact with the silver screen. I won't go any further, I might spoil the movie.

http://www-tc.pbs.org/wgbh/cultureshock/flashpoints/theater/images/clockwork_big.jpg

rimbaud
11-02-2009, 07:58 PM
I love Leonardo, but remakes are just wrong!

mtpspur
11-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Then I guess it's just a matter of time before Citizen Kane is updated. Sigh.

DanielBenoit
11-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Then I guess it's just a matter of time before Citizen Kane is updated. Sigh.

I know, I was thinking the same thing. Ugrr, why can't we just consider some movies untouchable and sacred? What's wrong with The Third Man? What is there to improve? A remake is pointless. Why in hell should you make a remake when you can just have some national re-realese of the original in theaters? Now THAT, I would pay to go see.

mtpspur
11-05-2009, 01:45 AM
Completely agree. The Third Man stands on its own. What's even worse is imagining it updated for the times. Now to honest I've heard of a remake of Captain Blood (Erroll Flynn) which I AM in favor of because I'm a Sabatini fan and ANY attention he can get is a good thing unless it's horrid of course--lol. BUT--let's not touch Adventures of Robin Hood (Flynn again). And I think Maltese Falcon is best left alone --ironically Bogart's version being the classic (even though it was second made).

DanielBenoit
11-05-2009, 01:53 AM
Also, it should be a Hollywood rule not to make remakes of films by great directors. Can you imagine a remake of 2001: A Space Odyssey? how about Vertigo? No, no, as I said, some works should just be considered sacred and left untouched. Only if a director feels that he can add more to the film, but even then, because what more can you add to the works of Kubrick, Welles or Hitchcock?

AuntShecky
11-05-2009, 01:04 PM
[QUOTE=DanielBenoit;799241]http://www.fanbolt.com/headline/5416/DiCaprio___Maguire_May_Star_In__The_Third_Man__Rem ake

Let me tell you a story: There was once a young man who indulged in the joys of film noirs, zither music and The Third Man. But his addiction to masterful black-and-white films starring Joseph Cotten and Orson Welles resulted in him being sent to a prison in which he was forced to watch remakes of immortal films starring Leonard DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire, real horror show. Soon he was released from prison, the general public being assured that he would no longer find enjoyment in great film noirs, thanks to some government treatment called "Hollywood ****-ups of Classics 114". Despite this, he still lusted for great film noirs, but became sick whenever coming into contact with the silver screen. I won't go any further, I might spoil the movie.

[QUOTE]

You know, that sounds like a premise of a great TV show!
A mad scientist traps a guy and two robots on a space
ship where they're forced to watch nauseating movies, including bad remakes of good films. It could be a
comedy show, complete with post-modern cross-reference
quips and quotes and sketches. Great, great! It'll run ten years. Maybe it could be syndicated Oh, wait. . .

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094517/

DanielBenoit
11-05-2009, 03:53 PM
You know, that sounds like a premise of a great TV show!
A mad scientist traps a guy and two robots on a space
ship where they're forced to watch nauseating movies, including bad remakes of good films. It could be a
comedy show, complete with post-modern cross-reference
quips and quotes and sketches. Great, great! It'll run ten years. Maybe it could be syndicated Oh, wait. . .

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094517/

Omg, I have seriously never seen the show, and I had NO idea that I was ripping it off! I had thought of the reformation scenes in A Clockwork Orange and decided to parody the entire movie in connection with the remake of The Third Man. I seriously had no idea that my parody and Mystery Science Theater were so alike!

Emil Miller
11-05-2009, 10:45 PM
We live in a trashy dumbed down,down, down world of relentless mediocrity where little pretty boys and girls have replaced the men and women of yesteryear. Therefore, it is not surprising that great films such as The Third Man are considered worthy of remake by directors (?) using actors(?) who will perform the equivalent of spraying graffiti on Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel paintings. The cinema, like any other busines, has always been about realising a profit on investment, but in a world where Wall Street now calls the shots rather than Hollywood's old studio system of film making, selling trash to the dumbed down masses has never been so easy. Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire? You gotta be joking.

DanielBenoit
11-05-2009, 11:14 PM
The cinema, like any other busines, has always been about realising a profit on investment, but in a world where Wall Street now calls the shots rather than Hollywood's old studio system of film making, selling trash to the dumbed down masses has never been so easy.

You know, I never thought of it that way. I mean, I have always been wondering why the Hollywood films of the 30's, 40's and 50's were so great, while there is so much crap thrown out into the woodwork today. There could be a million reasons, but I suppose the real cause was when RKO went out of buisness and some major corporation bought up the Big Five and that was the end of the Golden Age of Hollywood . . . . .

Though not all films went down the drain, as a matter of fact, with the lack of the 'old system' a new age of filmmaking could arise where we got studio-financed, but independently minded films like Bonnie and Clyde, Taxi Driver and MASH. It wasn't until Star Wars and Jaws came out did corporations see the money that could be made in cinema, and great films have been slowly disappearing from the mainstream ever since. . . .

Emil Miller
11-07-2009, 03:59 PM
You know, I never thought of it that way. I mean, I have always been wondering why the Hollywood films of the 30's, 40's and 50's were so great, while there is so much crap thrown out into the woodwork today. There could be a million reasons, but I suppose the real cause was when RKO went out of buisness and some major corporation bought up the Big Five and that was the end of the Golden Age of Hollywood . . . . ..

The reason why Hollywood studios were able to produce some great films was because people like Sam Goldwyn and Louis B Mayer were not only businessmen but also steeped in film making, unlike the people running the entertainment (?) conglomerates who have replaced them. Of course there was a lot of dross churned out in the form of "quota quickies" by the studios but the films of artisitc merit were integral to their success because the film companies were in competition with each other and needed classic pictures for reasons of prestige. The advent of television was the end of the road for the studio system but it's an absolute cinch that it will never produce a Citizen Kane.

Helga
11-08-2009, 02:14 PM
I hate remakes.

qimissung
11-08-2009, 09:07 PM
There is one thing you can be assured of, that like death and taxes, the remake of The Third Man will not be good. Why do they persist in trying?

Emil Miller
11-09-2009, 07:37 PM
There is one thing you can be assured of, that like death and taxes, the remake of The Third Man will not be good. Why do they persist in trying?

The aswer is simple. It's because there are a lot of naive people who can be conned into paying to see trashy remakes.