PDA

View Full Version : AMC Madmen

Buh4Bee
10-31-2009, 10:43 PM
This show has won Emmy's for the last two seasons. I am so addicted, does anyone watch?

We all love Don and what about Roger Sterling? I hate his 20 year old Jane. Could you get any more boring when picking a name? There is no comparison to Joan. Who doesn't love Ginger?

DWolfman
11-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Haven't missed an episode yet!

Loved the first two seasons,
but haven't made up my mind
about this one yet.

They plod along with things,
then just when I'm about to
give it up, they throw a zinger
in the mix.

While Draper was the main draw
early on, the interplay and dimensions
of the other characters are what I
look forward to most.

Buh4Bee
11-03-2009, 06:44 PM
I just finished season two on Netflicks and I can't believe how Draper is so invincible. Both, he and Peggy, are golden. I really have come to depend on Sterling for a simple humorous summary on the hard things in life.

I won't be able to access the third scene until they release it on DVD. Don't tell me too much.

What do you think of Birdie when she decided to get her revenge against Don by nailing that guy in the bar? I was actually not surprised and kind of rooted for her. Of course, this was before AIDs and she was already pregnant from Don so she couldn't get pregnant by the bar guy.

DWolfman
11-04-2009, 12:28 PM
I can't count the times they've
shown Betty's repressed sexual angst
on the series (the washing machine
incident jumps to mind, not to mention
the "daydream" scenarios she's had).
So, seeing her complete a tryst
was kind of numbing for me.
I kept waiting for her to "wake up."

But does it release her from her inhibitions
and turn her into a "wild thing?"

Guess you'll have to wait for the DVD ;)

Buh4Bee
11-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Betty is totally repressed, but she was so angry at Don she was willing to do anything to get even.

She'll never be released from the ideals of the "perfect" wife. But your right, I'll have to watch the next series.

What is your take on Campbell? Like or dislike? Although Campbell doesn't leave much to desire, you still feel sorry for him. He works hard and is moving up in the agnency and possibly out of his marriage.

Joannie? She always leaves me sad, she is such a capable women and is at a crossroads in her life. It could be so good for her or really awful and she'll become bitter.

DWolfman
11-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Agreed on Campbell.
He's totally self absorbed
and I love to see when
his jealousy and spite
get the better of him.

Joan seems so strong
at the office, totally dominating
her sphere of both men and women
yet struggles with her personal life,
looking for a way out of the grind,
sacrificing her hard-won dignity
to get it.

That's what I like most about the show:
the personal agendas and manipulations
they undertake to get what they want.

Buh4Bee
11-05-2009, 07:24 PM
I know, it all goes back to Atlas Shrugged.

The show is so well crafted, with many layers to unravel. You can spend 24 hours after the show still thinking about it. What a waste of time, but I can't help it.

I think Joan wants it all and will have to decide how she wants her life to unravel. She needs to leave the doctor especially after her raped her in Don's office.

Thanks for the conversation.