PDA

View Full Version : I need help identifying a Shakespeare quote...

Admin
01-17-2002, 06:16 PM
http://www.online-literature.com/view.php/julius_caesar/10?term=that%20will%20not%20love

Admin
I found some information:

For I had then laid Wormwood to my dug.
When it did taste the Wormwood on the nipple
Of my dug, and felt it bitter,pretty fool.

"As bitter as Wormwood" has long been descriptive of this member of the Artemesia family. It has always enjoyed a high reputation in folk medicine and even today is used as an herbal moth preventive.

Since a number of the authors in this book make extensive use of metaphor, examples and quotations from literature, and since Klein herself recommends 'a sip of dill-water or sugar-water in between times', it is possibly justifiable to mention Shakespeare's description of weaning in Romeo and Juliet. Juliet's mother is designing to marry her adolescent 14 year old to the socially appropriate Paris. The nurse reflects upon Juliet's age and muses about her weaning when Juliet was 3 and she, her wet nurse, 'laid wormwood to my dug', and 'When it did taste the wormwood on the nipple/Of my dug and felt it bitter, pretty fool, /To see it tetchy and fall out wi'th' dug!' Although weaning at 3 years makes the timing a bit different, Shakespeare's dramatic insight does anticipate Klein's connection of weaning and the Oedipus complex. The nurse continues her wry teasing of the mother and recalls that the day before the wormwood Juliet had fallen and bumped her head. The nurse's husband, 'God be with his soul, /A was a merry man!- took up the child./'Yea', quoth he, 'dost thou fall upon thy face?/Thou wilt fall backward when thou hast more wit, /Wilt thou not, Jule?' And, by my halidom, /The pretty wretch left crying and said 'Ay'. The nurse then slyly taunts Juliet's mother by twice recalling these events with the refrain, 'Wilt thou not Jule?' quoth he, /And pretty fool it stinted and said 'Ay' (Romeo and Juliet, Act 1, Scene 3).

d2916
The quote is:
"Who is here so vile that would not love his country?"

>>Plz tell me what play this is from!
Thx.

MortalFool
Sounds like Julius Ceasar......."Not that I loved Ceasar less, but that I love Rome more" kind of stuff.

sardabharat
On 2002-02-11 21:34, d2916 wrote:
The quote is:
"Sweet are the ises of adversity,
Which, like the toad, ugly and venomous,
Wears yet a precious jewel in his head;

>>Plz tell me What does this means!
Thx.

sardabharat
On 2002-02-11 21:34, d2916 wrote:
The quote is:
"Sweet are the uses of adversity,
Which, like the toad, ugly and venomous,
Wears yet a precious jewel in his head;

>>Plz tell me What does this means!
Thx.

southwestrnbabe5
In Romeo and Juliet ...Act 1 scene 3, there is a line where the nurse is talking about juliet being nursed and says I had then laid wormwood to my dug, sitting under the dove-house wall. I'm teaching the class line by line what this means and I have no clue. Im only a freshman and this is the first time I've ever read this play.Please someone tell me what this means if you know email me at [email protected] Thanks!