PDA

View Full Version : Films based on Novels

shortysweetp
01-30-2005, 04:04 PM
what is everyone's favorite movie based on book? other than lotr :D

Jester
01-30-2005, 07:07 PM
other than lotr... oh... thats a hard one... hmmm.... well Harry Potter series, cant think of anymore... right now, sorry..

papayahed
01-30-2005, 09:10 PM
Pride and Prejudice was pretty good...

shortysweetp
01-30-2005, 11:14 PM
i didnt like clueless which is based on Emma but the movie Emma with Gwyneth (?) Paltrow is good. the majority of stephen king's movies

Scheherazade
01-31-2005, 05:39 AM
I was disappointed with 'Emma' as some of the characters were very different from how I imagined them...

I really enjoyed 'Importance of Being Earnest'.

Has anyone seen 'Vanity Fair'?

GreenDog
01-31-2005, 06:37 AM
For me it is definitely Dune (by David Lynch, unlike Dune 2000). I read the book first but when I saw the film it was exactly the way I imagined it. Maybe because Frank Herbert was on the set…

shortysweetp
01-31-2005, 12:33 PM
wasnt star wars based on books?

Capernicus
01-31-2005, 12:55 PM
sadly no, Star Wars was not based on books, George Lucas is mean like that.

I am a huge fan of Stephen King, but his based on book movies never failed to dissapoint, it always went againts the world i created myself. With the only exception being The Shawshank Redemption ;)

shortysweetp
01-31-2005, 01:18 PM
i also find that with his movies that its only part of the book never the whole book

Helga
01-31-2005, 03:11 PM
For me it is definitely Dune (by David Lynch, unlike Dune 2000). I read the book first but when I saw the film it was exactly the way I imagined it. Maybe because Frank Herbert was on the set…

I agree, the book was really good and I was kinda scared about seeing the movie cause I didn't want to be disapointed. But I loved it.

Do shows count in this? I just saw the last show of eight based on the book the long firm by Jake Arnott, and it was the best show I have ever seen. It couldn't have been better!

ihaveaheadache
01-31-2005, 05:51 PM
Harry Potter is pretty good. I was expecting a Rasputin for Snape, though.

papayahed
01-31-2005, 11:16 PM
Aunt Mame (with Rosalind Russell of course) is way better than the book. Now that I'm thinking about it The Thin Man was good also.

mono
02-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Most of the movies made after Shakespeare plays I thoroughly enjoyed, especially Romeo and Juliet (the older version, not the one with Leonardo DiCaprio), The Taming of the Shrew and MacBeth. Besides Shakespeare, I also liked The Scarlet Letter, surprisingly, Dracula, Silence of the Lambs, and the older version of Great Expectations.

Bongitybongbong
02-01-2005, 05:21 PM
I liked Much Ado About Nothing, the movie.

imthefoolonthehill
02-02-2005, 01:36 AM
Green Dog... i actually was going to post Dune... but the newer one... because that's exactly how i imagined it....

*shrug* weird huh?

also: the movies based off clancy novels are pretty good...

hunt for red october, clear and pressent danger, etc etc

I'm afraid to go see one flew over the cukoo's nest, because it can't match up to the book, no matter how good it is.... i'm just avoiding it.

same with catch-22

Scheherazade
02-02-2005, 01:39 AM
Catch 22 was a disappointment for me but Cuckoo was pretty good. Jack is excellent.

Adelheid
02-02-2005, 08:02 AM
Pride and Prejudice is my favourite. I thought the characters were well represented, besides Lady Catherine! :-) I thought Jennifer Ehle did a great job!

shortysweetp
02-02-2005, 11:21 AM
(Pride and Prejudice) are you guys talking about the old one or the new one? I loved the old and just rented the new one but haven't seen it. it appears to be a modern day one.

ok on the new one. it semi follows the book but the quality is no where near the old black and white version.I love that version. This one was so modern and Jane, Elizabeth, Mary, Kitty, and Lydia weren't even sisters. They are roommates in college I think. so that leaves out the parents totally and Darcy's Aunt isn't in no family but bingley's sister and Darcy's sister.

Stanislaw
02-02-2005, 08:34 PM
My favourite book to movie: Eaters of the Dead --> 13th warrior! :thumbs_up

Turtlemother
02-04-2005, 06:32 PM
well, to date, I like "The Piano"....( I believe that was a book.)..
"Lord of the Rings" movie version served Tolkein well...
there are others, can't think of them right now...

WingedSpirit
02-05-2005, 02:31 PM
the piano teacher, a french film but an austrian novel.

Seraph
02-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Lord of the Rings over all others for me.

mandy_pal
02-08-2005, 11:04 PM
The Godfather
Silence of the Lamb

papayahed
02-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Silence of the Lamb

:nod:

s10cr

Shea
02-09-2005, 01:18 PM
No movie has shown more respect for an author than lotr since Gone with the Wind, imo. Though I liked Jane Eyre. I also liked the movie of The Count of Monte Cristo, but only if I don't think of the book, because they butchered the story and made a new one.

durbin
02-10-2005, 11:10 AM
I read Gone with the Wind and when I saw the movie, I liked it . Usually my imaginery characters and the movie's are very different. I guess that's because of the actor, director and etc. Every book reader has a different movie in her/his mind. I think all of our minds are a different movie's director. So we get disapointed when we see the movie. It doesn't match to ours. I liked LOTR too, but I didn't read the book.

mono
02-10-2005, 04:16 PM
For some reason, while thinking of good movies I have not seen in some time, I thought of a movie I forgot that I enjoyed, based on a book: H.G. Wells' The Island of Dr. Moreau.

subterranean
02-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Well I love both movies :D

Also, Fight Club and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

The Godfather
Silence of the Lamb

Miss Darcy
02-13-2005, 01:53 AM
Pride and Prejudice, undoubtedly. And no! Not the modern version *makes a face*, the one with Colin Firth :D and Jennifer Ehle. It's my most favourite movie ever!

I also like: Sense and Sensibility (with Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Alan Rickman, Hugh Grant...); Much Ado About Nothing (Branagh) and Hamlet (also Branagh); Little Women (Winona Ryder); hmm Anna and the King is good too (Jodie Foster, Chow-Yun Fat), it's based on Anna Leonowens' diary so I guess it counts too. Well those are my favourites, but there are really quite a few GOOD movie productions of books around...you just have to look...usually the BBC are best, they follow the book WORD BY WORD, it's almost like reading it just with moving pictures. :) A good example is Jane Eyre (Zelah Clarke, Timothy Dalton!).

I'm sure you've all had enough names by now! ;) So off I go,

Miss Darcy

P.S. I also read somewhere that Bridget Jones' Diary is actually a very twisted version of Pride and Prejudice! Veeerrrrryy twisted. *Makes another face* lol

subterranean
02-13-2005, 08:52 PM
.....Cuckoo was pretty good. Jack is excellent.

Seconded yours :nod:

How about The Age of Reason with Michelle Piefier (sp), Winona Ryder, and Daniel Day Lewis?
The Last of The Mohiccans is better to watch than to read IMO.

CindyBo
02-16-2007, 05:17 AM
Other than lotr? Maybe the Green Mile.

Mark F.
02-16-2007, 05:39 AM
"One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" was pretty good, but the novel's still better. "Apocalypse Now" is a brilliant adaptation of Heart of Darkness. I like Billy Wilder's adaptation of "Double Indemnity", probably my favourite classic movie.

Damn, there are too many good adaptations to list, off the top of my head, "Sideways", a lot of Kubrick's movies, a lot of Pasolini's movies especially "Oedipus Rex" and "Salo", Kurosawa's "Ran", "Throne of Blood", "Stray Dog", "Seven Samourai"...More? "Rumble Fish", "Angel Heart", "Nosferatu", "Bladerunner", "Mysterious Skin", "Re Animator", "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"...

Niamh
02-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Miss Darcy

P.S. I also read somewhere that Bridget Jones' Diary is actually a very twisted version of Pride and Prejudice! Veeerrrrryy twisted. *Makes another face* lol

Yes Brigit Jones diary is a modern take on Pride and Prejudice, same way that Brigit Jones; the Edge of reason(book not movie) is Persuasion.

The Jennifer Ehle/colin firth p&p is great but i have to confess that i love the bollywood styled Bride and Prejudice!

High Fidelity and About A boy! I also like the Branagh Much Ado About Nothing.

TEND
02-16-2007, 10:20 AM
"One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" was pretty good, but the novel's still better. "Apocalypse Now" is a brilliant adaptation of Heart of Darkness. I like Billy Wilder's adaptation of "Double Indemnity", probably my favourite classic movie.

Damn, there are too many good adaptations to list, off the top of my head, "Sideways", a lot of Kubrick's movies, a lot of Pasolini's movies especially "Oedipus Rex" and "Salo", Kurosawa's "Ran", "Throne of Blood", "Stray Dog", "Seven Samourai"...More? "Rumble Fish", "Angel Heart", "Nosferatu", "Bladerunner", "Mysterious Skin", "Re Animator", "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"...

Thats pretty much everything I would have said and than some, I would also like to add Scorsese's 'Goodfellas,' to the list, which was adapted from a book by Nicholas Pileggi.

sam96
02-16-2007, 01:57 PM
I thought "Dangerous liaisons" was very good!:)

manolia
02-16-2007, 05:51 PM
The best book adaptation for me is "The Death in Venice" (Book by Thomas Mann). The movie is from director Luccino Visconti (one of my favorite directors anyway).
Anyone seen it? If you haven't i think it's a must see!

Domer121
02-16-2007, 06:44 PM
I think the adaptation of Betty Smith's "A Tree Grows om Brooklyn" was very good...

bazarov
02-17-2007, 06:06 AM
The Godfather is my favorite.

hyperborean
02-17-2007, 09:56 AM
2001: A Space Odyssey has to be my favorite movie based on a book. However, I believe the book is not nearly as allegorical as Kubrick's masterpiece.

kilted exile
02-17-2007, 10:48 AM
I didnt like cuckoo's nest. I know you cant keep everything like the book, but I thought they changed too much.

TEND
02-17-2007, 07:31 PM
The Godfather is my favorite.

Oooh, forgot about that one.

2001: A Space Odyssey has to be my favorite movie based on a book. However, I believe the book is not nearly as allegorical as Kubrick's masterpiece.

Defenitely good, except not based on the book, both were written in tandom, so....I don't know how you'd classify that.

littlewing53
02-17-2007, 08:10 PM
count of monte cristo

Mark F.
02-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Defenitely good, except not based on the book, both were written in tandom, so....I don't know how you'd classify that.

Same with The Godfather I think.

Bookworm89
02-17-2007, 09:40 PM
My absolute favorite is Hamlet (Mel Gibson, Glenn Close). I also like Romeo and Juliet (1960's version), The Count of Monte Cristo (new version), and, of course, the Harry Potter series. Who doesn't?

Niamh
02-18-2007, 07:48 AM
I also like the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

Uncle Lar
04-13-2007, 03:30 PM
The Godfather, by
Mario Puzo, was made
into a great film!

Sincerely,

Uncle Lar

cuppajoe_9
04-13-2007, 04:27 PM
All things Kubrick.

NickAdams
05-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Adaptation, screenplay by Charlie Kaufman
Eyes Wide Shut

cows
05-22-2007, 11:16 PM
Blade Runner (based on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K Dick)

Annamariah
05-23-2007, 07:34 AM
The Phantom of the Opera (2004 Andrew Lloyd Webber version). Okay, it was first a book, then a musical, and then the musical was filmed, but I think that still counts as a movie based on book, right? :D

I also like Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley and Matthew MacFadyen. I think it's even better than the BBC series with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth.

The Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was also quite good movie adaptation.

Movie version of Matilda is also good, though the plot is a bit different than in the book.

Perfume - The Story of a Murderer is really good movie, especially when the book was thought "unfilmable" before the movie came out :D

abcpoet
05-23-2007, 08:31 AM
Pride and Prejudice was good. Now I am waiting to watch 'The Namesake'(Based on Jhumpa Lahiri's novel of the same title)

Anthony Furze
05-23-2007, 08:35 AM
Definitely "Wonder Boys" originally by Chabon. (the book that is) The film is excellent.

ninacath
05-24-2007, 07:02 AM
dangerous liasons
vanity fair
the canterville ghost
gone with the wind
a passage to india
dr zivago
there are sooo many

kenikki
05-24-2007, 09:56 AM
fear and the loathing in las vegas, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Requiem for A Dream...all my favourites.

n_maw
12-11-2007, 09:52 PM
One of my all time favorite movies is the Count of Monte Christo. Wonderful movie and a wonderful book!

Weisinheimer
12-12-2007, 12:02 AM
I really like the movie Pride and Prejudice with Kiera Knightly.

amalia1985
12-12-2007, 07:48 AM
Last of the Mohicans (1992), although it was hardly faithful to the book.

LadyWentworth
12-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Where does one start with a question like this? I enjoy so many adaptations, but I think that I will only list the all-around best. That would include the most faithful (as much as they could possibly be) and best performances.

* The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
* Maurice
* Persuasion
* Stand By Me (originally "The Body")
* The Shawshank Redemption

Films that I liked MUCH MORE than the books:

* Field of Dreams (originally "Shoeless Joe")
* The Color Purple
* Forrest Gump

As an "honorary" mention I will say "Gone With The Wind". Sure alot of details were cut out, but we have to remember only so much would be allowed in that film in 1939. Still, though, Clark Gable is the perfect Rhett Butler!

TEND
12-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Oh......so many, favorites though, I would say......
Once Upon a Time in America (Don't remember the name of the book it's based on)
Ran (Based on King Lear)
Jules Et Jim
.....tooooons more. I could go on and on, so I'll just stop here.

Beijing-Doll
12-21-2007, 07:22 AM
fight club. hands down.

Mal Reynolds
12-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Children of Men, despite me never reading the book, and it apparently not being totally true to it. I loved that movie much more than any women.(Okay, well, maybe not...) Amazing piece of underrated cinema right there.

Other movies, A Clockwork Orange, Guildernstern and Rosencrantz are Dead, The Princess Bride, Fight Club, and The Fox and the Hound.

uncc49er06
01-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Gone With the Wind! It is the only movie that I liked BETTER than the book upon which it was based.

Dori
01-20-2008, 01:12 PM
V for Vendetta!

Idril
01-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Stardust. It's one of the very few movies made from a book I've read that I didn't hate.

Jazz_
09-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Harry Potter (of course)
Count of Monte Cristo - despite a complete change of plot ;)
Pride and Prejudice - the BBC production with Colin Firth (although that is a series not a movie...)
The Three Musketeers (with Kiefer Sutherland) was also pretty good

Motivium
09-08-2009, 08:03 AM
The Devil wears Prada

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/9808/devilwearsprada.jpg

rimbaud
09-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Harry Potter (of course)

I would have to say i didn't like harry potter movies at all, it was very poorly maked

I liked Pride and Prejudice, and the Count of Monte Cristo, loved Fight Club

My fav would have to be Perfume, I fell in love with it, even though the book is much much better

Helga
09-09-2009, 04:21 PM
the virgin suicides

bigben
09-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Since you mentioned Shakespeare, I'll nominate Lawrence Olivier's Hamlet. It is of a different style than Branagh's and certainly not something we're seeing now, but the man had the guts of a burglar.

pjjrfan1
09-23-2009, 11:03 PM
The Godfather, although they leave out so much but coppola did a briliant job with the story he presented on film.

bessecar
09-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon.

The film starred Michael Douglas and a wonderfully chosen cast, as well as some great music.

Hurricane
09-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Loved The Last of the Mohicans much more than the book, even though I know they changed huge parts.

Janine
09-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Since you mentioned Shakespeare, I'll nominate Lawrence Olivier's Hamlet. It is of a different style than Branagh's and certainly not something we're seeing now, but the man had the guts of a burglar.

bigben,Sorry to disagree with you but I liked Kenneth Branagh's version eons better. It has more scope to the character in my opinion and it's the full-length play. Why why did Olivier chose to condense his production? I don't even think Fortinbras was ever mentioned. I didn't see this film until a few years ago; I had high expectations and found myself somewhat disappointed. I was never disappointed in the full-length versions; two I would highly recommend are these:

BBC production of Hamlet starring a (young) Derek Jacobi as Hamlet.

Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet starring Kenneth Branagh, Derek Jacobi, Kate Winstlett and many other noteworthy actors/actresses.

I feel, that to understand Hamlet, the man, and the kingdom and the political tensions creating an important backdrop and atmosphere, one needs the full text, with all the characters included. This is why I recommend these two.

BlueSkyGB
09-24-2009, 04:07 PM
To Kill a Mockingbird....

balehead
10-14-2009, 07:05 PM
When it comes to Kenneth Branagh Shakespeare's, my favourite is Henry V Starring keneth Branagh and Emma Thompson

But my all-time favourite book-movie combo is the 1994 version of Little Women

Snowqueen
10-29-2009, 02:47 AM
I liked Pride and Prejudice, and the Count of Monte Cristo,

Also Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

JohnAvg
10-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Which films based on novels are the most remarkable in your opinion?

MorpheusSandman
10-30-2009, 07:18 PM
The Grapes of Wrath (even better than the novel; for me, it's one of Ford's 2 or 3 greatest films)
The Godfather (obvious)
Lord of the Rings (Jackson's mind-blowing magnum opus; nothing like it will likely ever be attempted)
Schindler's List (Spielberg's directorial touch was never more potent)
The Princess Bride (one of the all-time greatest film comedies that's endlessly quotable)
GoodFellas (one of Scorcese's best)
No Country for Old Men (definitely one of the greatest films of the 21st century thus far)
Great Expectations and Oliver Twist (The best adaptations of two of Dickens' best by one of the great and most underrated directors; David Lean)
Sense & Sensibility (A phenomenal adaptation by the very talented writer/actress Emma Thompson and very well directed by Ang Lee)

There's so many great ones I'm forgetting, but that will work for now.

dfloyd
10-30-2009, 07:41 PM
those made by the Brits for Masterpiece theatre. Our library has many of them from the 1970s onward. I have seen most of them and the best are I,Claudius by Robert Graves; Our Mutual Friend, Bleak House, Nichloas Nickleby by Charles Dickens, The Last of the Mohicans by Fenimore Cooper, Silas Marner, Middlemarch by George Elliott; and the list goes on and on. I would highly recommend you see as many as you can of these remarkable adaptations. And, contrary to Hollywood, they follow the book quite faithfully.

As far as movies made to be seen in a theatre some of the best are: Goodbye, Mr Chips starring Robert Donat, The Count of Monte Cristo starring Robert Donat, Oliver Twist directed by David Lean, Great Expectations directed by David Lean, Doctor Zhivago, GWTW, Rebecca directed by Alfred Hitchcock, Lost Horizon starring Ronald Coleman, A Tale of Two Cities starring Ronald Coleman, Scaramouche and the Prisoner of Zenda starring Stewart Granger, Quo Vadis? and Ivanhoe starring Robert Taylor, Camille staring robert Taylor and Greta Garbo, Bel Ami and The Moon and Sixpence starring George Sanders, The Razor's Edge starring Tyrone Power, A Farewell to Arms and For Whom the Bell Tolls starring Gary Cooper, Of Human Bondage starring Leslie Howard, The Magnificent Amberson directed by Orson Welles, The Virginian starring Joel McCrea, The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep starring Humphrey Bogart, The sun Also Rises starring Tyrone Power, and this list goes on and on. The best movie adaptations were made in the 30s and 40s so I have given the star so you wont watch some modern trash.

MorpheusSandman
10-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Lots of good mentions, dfloyd!

And, contrary to Hollywood, they follow the book quite faithfully.Being "faithful" to the book in an adaptation from one medium to another is slightly a misnomer. Words don't always translate directly to images and the way a film is cut together and narrated is very different from the way novels are. The Grapes of Wrath and The Godfather are such great films because they work on cinematic rather than literary levels.

dfloyd
10-30-2009, 11:18 PM
When I watched 'Count of Monte Cristo' recently with Depardieu as Edmund Dantes, this French movie wrote in a girl friend for Dantes and he got together with Mercedes in the end. This total rearrangement of the story ruined the movie for me. Many Hollywood movies totally change the action. It is like the screen writers are thinking nobody has ever read this book, so let's do this.

If you saw the Masterpiece Theatre 'The Last of the Mohicans"; then you watched the Daniel Day Lewis Hollywood version, you would swear they were two different stories. The latter wasn't a bad movie, but for me, totally aware of Fenimore Cooper's works, it was a mish mash.

It is even worse when Hollywood changes history. It's bad enough when they rewrite fiction, but when they change historical facts or chronology, it's terrible.

King Mob
10-30-2009, 11:33 PM
APOCALYPSE NOW is one of the best adaptations i've ever seen

Cronenberg's CRASH and NAKED LUNCH are awesome too.

Ebonon
10-31-2009, 01:53 AM
based on a novel by Hrabal

My Sweet Little Village
Closely Guarded Trains

Stalker by Tarkovsky based on a short story

Apu's Triology by Satyajit Ray based on a Novel

Oh there are so many of them

QueenoftheNight
11-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Perfume. It's one of my favourite movies of all time, for some reason. I really never liked the way they called it Perfume: The Story Of A MURDERER though. Honestly, why would you do that?! I know it was originally called The Perfumer - maybe they thought it was misleading, or that it didn't get people interested enough.

QueenoftheNight
11-20-2009, 11:15 AM
[QUOTE=dfloyd;798567]When I watched 'Count of Monte Cristo' recently with Depardieu as Edmund Dantes, this French movie wrote in a girl friend for Dantes and he got together with Mercedes in the end. This total rearrangement of the story ruined the movie for me. Many Hollywood movies totally change the action. It is like the screen writers are thinking nobody has ever read this book, so let's do this.
QUOTE]

I was completely confused by that movie too. I used to feel the same way when the screenwriters rewrote stories that didn't need rewriting.. But I've come to kind of appreciate that sort of movie - what I mean is, it's interesting to see how different people interpret things. But that only works for me because I try NEVER to watch a movie if I'm expecting it to stay true to the book. They rarely ever do. *sigh*

QueenoftheNight
11-20-2009, 11:15 AM
When I watched 'Count of Monte Cristo' recently with Depardieu as Edmund Dantes, this French movie wrote in a girl friend for Dantes and he got together with Mercedes in the end. This total rearrangement of the story ruined the movie for me. Many Hollywood movies totally change the action. It is like the screen writers are thinking nobody has ever read this book, so let's do this.

If you saw the Masterpiece Theatre 'The Last of the Mohicans"; then you watched the Daniel Day Lewis Hollywood version, you would swear they were two different stories. The latter wasn't a bad movie, but for me, totally aware of Fenimore Cooper's works, it was a mish mash.

It is even worse when Hollywood changes history. It's bad enough when they rewrite fiction, but when they change historical facts or chronology, it's terrible.

I was completely confused by that movie too. I used to feel the same way when the screenwriters rewrote stories that didn't need rewriting.. But I've come to kind of appreciate that sort of movie - what I mean is, it's interesting to see how different people interpret things. But that only works for me because I try NEVER to watch a movie if I'm expecting it to stay true to the book. They rarely ever do. *sigh*

DanielBenoit
11-20-2009, 12:00 PM
You know, Stanley Kubrick said something of the like that the best adaptions are of novels that aren't classics. Which is true really, a widely-read beloved novel would just end up being too superior for the director's interpritation. That's why the only novel Kubrick adapted which could be considered a classic was Lolita.

In truth, there are many many films which come out each year based on novels. In fact probably 40% of all the movies ever made are based on novels. Even to the point in which the line between an adapted film and a film with an original screenplay begins to disappear. Who would think of the difference between The Third Man and Citizen Kane was that one was adapted and one was not? Cinematic adaptions as a genre is too general a catagorization, for I would merely be listing about half of my favorite films of all time.

As for cinematic adaptions of classic novels, then I can say that I've seen a few which may stand up.

The Grapes of Wrath - John Ford (from Steinbeck's novel)
Aguirre, The Wrath of God - Werner Herzog (from Conrad's Heart of Darkness)
Apocolaypse Now - Francis Ford Coppla (also from Conrad's novella)

Here are what I think are two of the best Shakespeare adaptions.

Chimes at Midnight - Orson Welles (from Shakespeare's Henry IV)
Hamlet - Laurence Oliver

Return Journey
11-30-2009, 03:48 PM
I enjoyed 1984 staring John Hurt and Richard Burton (released in 1984).
It might not be perfect but I think it caught the atmosphere of Orwell’s book well.
I also like Kenneth Branagh’s Henry V.

Though I have to say, many years ago, I was shot down by an old English teacher when he asked who’d read a particular book.
From the back of the class I stuck my hand up and proudly said that I had seen the film.
He was not at all amused. I guess he didn’t think the two were related.