PDA

View Full Version : Did Hamlet understand his fate was caused by his own actions?

mb1994
10-27-2009, 08:04 AM
Hi.
I'm currently writing an essay about "to what extent is Hamlet a Tragic Hero?"
My first body paragraph is describing most of Aristotle's more 'minor' traits the hero must have. I've come up at an interesting point, however.
Did Hamlet understand his fate was caused by his own actions?

This is probably a big enough statement to write a paragraph about, but I'm not sure where to start. What I'm thinking, is... Well first of all, was his fate caused by his own actions? Or was his fate inevitable, like some people say it was. But then assuming it wasn't inevitable, do you think Hamlet understood that his fate was caused by his own actions? Because if he had've killed Claudius in the scene where Hamlet thought Claudius was praying, Hamlet probably wouldn't have been poisoned.

And my second roadblock, is was his death inevitable?
I've got this so far:
However some argue that because the play was a tragedy, the main character had to die. As defined by the Oxford English Dictionary 2009, a tragedy is "a serious play with an unhappy ending, especially one concerning the downfall of the main character".

But it probably needs a few more points to back it up. Any suggestions?

Help appreciated :)

Lokasenna
10-27-2009, 08:55 AM
I'd point you in the direction of Hamlet's little speech to Horatio when the latter tells him that facing Laertes will result in his demise:

"Not a whit, we defy augury: there's a special
providence in the fall of a sparrow. If it be now,
'tis not to come; if it be not to come, it will be
now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the
readiness is all: since no man has aught of what he
leaves, what is't to leave betimes?"

Personally, I view this as a rather transcendental moment for Hamlet. In an almost paradoxical sense, he is empowered and freed by his acceptance of fate.

That, at least, is my view. Good luck with your essay!

kelby_lake
10-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Well, if Hamlet hadn't met the pirates, he wouldn't've had to go back to Denmark. If Claudius hadn't been praying, Hamlet could've killed him there and then.

Hamlet isn't exactly the luckiest chap but he does sort of give in to death when he meets the gravediggers. He likes philosophising a lot.

kelby_lake
11-19-2009, 01:11 PM
In most tragedies, the hero experiences anagnorisis- an important discovery or realisation.