PDA

View Full Version : The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Paulclem
10-26-2009, 07:41 PM
I have just completed this book which I enjoyed very much. The book is the story of Daniel who chooses a book from the Cemetery of Forgotten books in Barcelona when he is taken there by his Father, and who also happens to be a bookseller.
In attempting to find out more about the author of his chosen book, Daniel uncovers the stories of the friends, lovers, enemies and family of the mysterious Julian Carax.
The mystery of Julian Carax is gradually revealed by Zafon through his use of story – letters, notes and testimonies by the various inhabitants of Barcelona. These stories build up a picture of the events of Carax’s life until the climax of the book.
Zafon is largely successful in keeping the mystery hidden from the reader until the final few stories are told. By then, the reader can deduce what has happened to Carax, but the journey has been entertaining and interesting, and you are impelled further to find out what happens to Daniel.
Barcelona looms large in the book which includes photographs of places in Barcelona mentioned in the story. It is a well written mystery which uses the various storytelling techniques to great effect .
In fact books are revered in the story as integral to the lives of the protagonists who share, value, destroy and resurrect them. As well as telling a great mystery story, Zafon seems to be promoting the cherishing of books to a readership that is on the verges of the e-reader generation.

Dark Muse
05-03-2010, 12:23 AM
An enchanting tale of romance and mystery, and in part a coming or age story. Set within the passionate city of Barcelona, in the 1940s-1950s, it is a book that is a must read for all book lovers which is somewhat reminiscent of the movie the Ninth Gate, which I of course loved.

The story is told by Daniel who begins the tale as a young boy just reaching adolescents. He comes to work with his father in his bookstore, and as an initiation rite is brought by his father to a place known as The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, a place where books which have been forgotten by the world end up until they can be brought to light again. Daniel is told to pick any book to become the guardian of. He is drawn to a book called "The Shadow of the Wind" by a little known author Julian Carax.

After the discovery of this book Daniel is thrown into a mystery when he becomes enamoured with Julian Carax, and determined to read all of his books and learn all he can about the enigmatic author, but strange events begin occur which revolve around Daniel's quest of discovery into the life of Julian Carax and his finding the book The Shadow of the Wind.

In addition to his literary quest, Daniel is also struggling with his adventures and misadventures in love, lust, and romance. Throughout the story the reader is introduced to a cast of interesting, unique and eccentric characters, love them or hate them, they all are fascinating and their lives seem to be woven together by fate, in which the key to their density is the man of mystery Julian Carax.

prendrelemick
05-03-2010, 05:06 AM
Yes, a strange tale beautifully written. If you enjoyed, it I can reccomend The Angels Game by the same author. Its a story with the same flavour that also invovlves a visit to that legendary Cemetery of Forgotten Books.

I read it last year but never got round to doing a review.

Dark Muse
05-03-2010, 12:43 PM
I will have to keep an eye out for that one

Aurora
04-08-2012, 12:56 PM
I LOVE this book! I'm surprised more people haven't commented on it. I also read 'Prince of Mist' which I enjoyed although you could very much tell it was for young adults.

I'm certainly going to be reading his other books!

Mutatis-Mutandis
04-08-2012, 02:33 PM
I loved this book; just finished it a few days ago. I think its strongest point is definitely the beautifully written prose, it's just so lyrical. I loved the gothic feel and dark tone, it brought to mind Poe and Hawthorne. And the characters were excellently crafted, especially Fermin, one of the most entertaining and likable characters I've read in a long time.

Aurora
04-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Totally agree about Fermin. Found him absolutely hilarious and completely charming. Yeah the prose is wonderful, but I always wonder with translations how much has been lost from the original in terms of language. Best word, IMO, to describe this book is haunting. Not one I'll forget in a hurry. What a wonderful writer.

Mutatis-Mutandis
04-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I agree about the accuracy of the translation, but here's how I look at it: what's it matter if it's accurate? It doesn't change what I actually read. I think translation is an artwork in of itself.

Helga
04-09-2012, 06:17 AM
I read this book last summer and enjoyed it immensely, beautifully written and this place filled with forgotten books is very interesting.

good characters and the plot is very good, ties you in to places and people you didn't expect.

Kafka's Crow
06-04-2012, 07:41 AM
I like Zafon's ability to create haunting scenes full of dark, inscrutable and malign beings. The Prince of Mist is best in this respect but on the whole, The Shadow of the Wind is his best work. I have read Angel's Game but forgotten most of it.