PDA

View Full Version : Question

cynthiahaddad
10-26-2009, 03:30 AM
Hello everyone: Need to know what the most important conflict is in the book GREAT EXPECTATIONS by: Charles Dickens. I am stuck.:brickwall

littlelulu
01-16-2010, 12:59 PM
The main topic can be subjective, some will say that the main topic of the story is how people can change when their economic and social status changes, meaning that sometimes when one receives riches one may see the poeple one grew up with as inferior and leave them behind. I like to see the romantic aspect of it and it is how romantically speaking emotions can be molded to what we want to make of them, as in with Estella for example she had been taught to hate men and to toy with them, without ever falling in love with them. She does so with pip and when pip falls madly in love with her he pays the price for Ms. Havisham's revenge agains men. If you recall Mrs. Havisham was abandoned by the love of her life and for this she grew revengeful and did so with her closest pupil Estella. ([email protected])

gbebooks
04-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Definitely subjective - I suspect your teacher wanted (since this is an old post) you to state your opinion and then support it with the text.