PDA

View Full Version : I need some help....

hituw2x4
10-21-2009, 11:00 PM
HI everybody!!:smash:

I have a to do a paper for a world lit class and I am confuses about the topic she assigned. It says:

. What are men’s relationships to their gods in the Iliad/Odyssey or Oidipos/Antigone; for instance, Odysseos is cursed to wander by a god but also sometimes assisted and saved by another. Oidipos’ entire life is oppressed by an oracle. Antigone feels her conscience, what she calls the laws of the gods, is a higher authority than Kreon, the king.

Believe it or not she is an accredited Literature teacher. I know there are a lot of smart people on this forum that could really shed some light on the subject.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

hituw2x4
10-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Sorry, I forgot one thing, I want to do the Iliad/Odyssey.

OrphanPip
10-21-2009, 11:10 PM
I think it is unjust to say that Oedipus is oppressed by the Oracle. His fate is not the fault of Apollo, rather it is the fault of Fate, a force above that of the gods. Moreover, Oedipus is undone by his own hubris, his unwillingness to bow to the inevitable.

If you think about the type of men that Achilles and Odysseus are, you should be able to come up with some aspects of their character that would lead to conflict with the gods. Also, the text of the Iliad should be easier to work with, since Homer often explicitly tells you what the gods think, so you don't have to be as familiar with the culture.

hituw2x4
10-21-2009, 11:45 PM
But since Achilles and Odysseus are both immortals wouldn't that be deviating from the essay guidelines? I think am trying to illustrate the the relationship between those two and the gods. Thank you for your insight, this is so confusing.

hituw2x4
10-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Excuse me I meant mortals.

OrphanPip
10-22-2009, 01:01 AM
That's what I meant. Often in the Iliad you'll get little insights into what the gods think about the action. E.g. Homer tells you that Zeus disapproves of Hector putting on Achilles' armor before their fight after the death of Patroklus.