PDA

View Full Version : Is love true?

blazeofglory
10-18-2009, 11:25 PM
I am very skeptical about the love issue and cannot abide by the fact that love is true at all.

What we call love is a subject that demands a great about discussion in point of fact. Love at times seems truer when it comes to the love of mothers for their kids. The love of a woman or of a man seeking a wife is not pure love and it is kind of infatuation and is generated out of a desire of having mating relationship.

We read stories of love in books, in plenty of books and in movies and they are simply overemphasized.

There is too much divorce in the world and particularly in the west. In the east there exists seeming love. In the east cases of divorces are fewer and this is owing to the fact that there is a kind of desire and motivation.

Love is oftentimes related with spirituality and it is totally segregated from the material domain. This is sheer imagination.

At the deepest level it is motivated by a desire of fulfillment of physical or emotional needs and it does not go beyond that boundary at all.

DanielBenoit
10-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Love is too complex a sensation to dissect through philosophical discourse. Love can be many things, including disingenuious (though I suppose it's not really love then is it?).

I do think that love can be cheapened in books or movies, but I in fact think that it is underemphasized, merely because even words are too inadequete to describe such intense and raw human emotions such as love. Shakespeare was well aware of this when he said "Who will believe my verse in time to come?"

Love is just too immense to be communicated through the standards of logic and verbal language.

Lokasenna
10-19-2009, 03:39 AM
If I didn't believe in love, then I couldn't justify myself as an artist, simple as that. You say that the love between a man and a woman is nothing more than a desire to mate, but I think you need to differentiate between the concepts of love and lust; if lust is the defining factor of human relationships, then why do so many couples stay together long after they become sexually unable. What about people who, in deference to their religious beliefs, are happy to postpone sex until after they are married? Often after a very long courtship? Lust tends not to wait...

I feel that if you deny the existence of love in the abstract sense, then I think you deny a lot of other abstract ideas: hope, justice, joy, compassion e.t.c. I don't think the human race would have survived as a civilization (as opposed to a mere group of individuals) without an inate subscription to these higher ideals.

blazeofglory
10-19-2009, 10:16 AM
if lust is the defining factor of human relationships, then why do so many couples stay together long after they become sexually unable.

If in fact love is true and if love is a determinant of everything why people run after beautiful damsels.

If couples still hold close relationships after they become sexually inactive it is the sheer dependence they have upon one another, for when people start aging the society they are in will boycott them.

That said, I do not mean there is no love at all. But love is overemphasized, exaggerated or romanticized. And writers, actors or philosophers try to show what is is not at the root, the superfluous meaning of love.

I love my spouse because I am so much dependent on her and feel cared and secured with her. Whereas the world around is so much distant from me and I feel isolated in the crowd I feel too much at home with my spouse.

Children love parents just because they feel they are secured with parents and they feel secured when they are protected. In point of fact they are walled,imprisoned but they sacrifice their sense of freedom for the security they have of settlement, foods and care.

This is a very intricate subject. Things will be clearer once we deprogram our minds and think freely and of course unaffectedly.

Most of what I want to say remains unsaid for our language and my poor command over this foreign language impedes me from making my self explicit.

Scheherazade
10-19-2009, 10:53 AM
There is too much divorce in the world and particularly in the west. In the east there exists seeming love. In the east cases of divorces are fewer and this is owing to the fact that there is a kind of desire and motivation.The reason behind the lower divorce rates in the East has hardly anything to do with the strength of love between husbands and their wives (How can we assume this when very few marriages actually initiated are based on love?) It is a social programming and instinct of social survival that keep most marriages together in the East, especially in certain cultures: Particularly from a woman's perspective, divorce is equivalent of social suicide (if not physical).
Love is oftentimes related with spirituality and it is totally segregated from the material domain. This is sheer imagination.

At the deepest level it is motivated by a desire of fulfillment of physical or emotional needs and it does not go beyond that boundary at all. While I agree with you that love is made into a loaded word with very little proof to support all the claims of grandeur (the concept of "true" love is really lost on me), I think saying that love is purely lust and nothing more is doing some injustice to us all who can love people without visualising them nekkid all the while.

blazeofglory
10-19-2009, 11:34 AM
We humans idealize love and weave it into beautiful stories, tragedies, heroic tales and the like. Our capacity for expressions and understanding or readings others' feelings or opinions help us fuse different ideas into wonderful and shocking love stories.

But love is judged by the experiences people go through.

I am not speaking against or for it and only I want to dissect or analyze what it is objectively.

Love exists and the kind of love existing in the world got never expressed through our volumes of stories, epics or any other mediums.

Let us analyze love through the natural sciences.
You will never come across the kind love stories dramatized by we humans.
There is no acting in nature and there is "doing".

Love is not in words or paraphrased in the book of love in nature but in action.

We are simply deluded.

The Comedian
10-20-2009, 10:55 AM
I am not speaking against or for it and only I want to dissect or analyze what it is objectively.

I don't want to sound mamsy-pamsy here, but not all things that are can be dissected and viewed objectively. Farts, for example. We know they exist, but try cutting one open to see it objectively.

Love is a lot like a fart, in this regard. It exists as an experience, a verb. We can't hold it; we can't even see it. Love just is. And like a lot of things it grows, weakens, dissipates, dies, is re-born.

estelwen
10-25-2009, 04:42 PM
I have not achieved Nirvana, and thus I cannot speak of what it is except, at times, the delineate what it is not. I have not had a child, and thus I cannot make any other kind of comment on childbirth than those born of observation.

Unfortunately, the word love has as many meanings (usages) as it has individuals who use it. As said earlier in this thread, lust and love are very different.

I cannot speak with any authority except to say that I have seen marraiges that have worked, marriages that have lasted many decades. And that I believe love, as a verb, is a choice made out of determination and courage. Love between marraige partners or those with like commitments is deeper than sex, or companionship, or children, or possessions.

I wish to affirm love here, from my individual perspective. I dated multiple individuals over time without finding the deep resonance and passion that I found with my fiance immediately. I am determined to love him now and always, no matter what that costs or entails. There is certainly desire in our relationship, but also much much more.

Koa
10-25-2009, 04:59 PM
No.

(oh damn it, still this thing about not being able to post very short posts!)

Maryd.
10-26-2009, 03:28 PM
It exists, if you let it.

Granny5
10-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Not all love is "true". To become true, love must grow and mature. One must be able to commit to growing the quick pulse of new love into a strong, steady beat.