PDA

View Full Version : The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, by Anne Bronte.

prendrelemick
10-02-2009, 07:20 AM
The Tenant of Wildfell hall. By Anne Bronte.

It is very difficult to read and review this book without trying to resolve it with the legends that cling to the Brontes. Each time we meet a vicars daughter, we wonder, is that Charlotte, or Anne herself? Is the proliferate Huntingdon or the cocky Fergus based on Branwell? I found it impossible to disregard this aspect, and to be honest it added to the experience of reading it.

Helen Graham, a mysterious widow and her young son move into the remote and dilapidated Wildfell hall. Her attempts to remain aloof and hidden away from society are soon thwarted by the curious locals. Among them is Gilbert Markham a prosperous farmer, who soon falls in love with her. However Mrs Graham, (actual name Mrs Huntingdon,) is no widow, but has fled her debauched husband for the sake of her son.

The story is told in the first person, from Markham's letters to a friend, and from Helen Huntingdon's diary.

At first sight this seems to be a typical Victorian cautionary tale. Follies are later regretted, the good are rewarded, the repentant are saved, and the wicked get their come uppence . But historical context is important, this stuff was dynamite in the 1840's, For a wife to leave a husband was illegal, to take her child with her was kidnapping, for her to earn money independently was stealing(all such monies legally belonged to the husband.) Then to justify these actions on undeniable moral and even religious grounds, was contentious to say the least. No wonder Charlotte suppressed this book after Anne's death, relegating her to relative obscurity.

For the modern reader, the characters are a little too black and white, Mrs Huntingdon's extreme piety and moral rectitude is not now so attractive, and her husband's wickedness is more caricature than believable. But no matter, the story is a good one and skillfully told, there is irony and naiveity here and there, but that adds to its charm... After all it was written by a Bronte girl, who lived in wild isolation up on the bleak Yorkshire moors..... ;)

I shall give it a seven and a half out of ten.

The Comedian
10-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the review!

wessexgirl
10-04-2009, 06:42 AM
I haven't read the book yet, but I have seen the tv adaptation from a few years ago, which I thought was very good, apart from some swirling, vertiginous camerawork, if I remember correctly. It may have something to do with the actors involved, but I didn't see Helen as overly pious at all. She had some grit about her to leave her husband and take her son with her. I thought it was, as you say, probably dynamite at the time it was written, and I thought the way it was played out on tv was excellent. I seem to remember a vile woman who was one of Huntingdon's paramours who was very obvious in her behaviour, and I wondered if it was as obvious in the book, or if the adaptation made it obvious, as she wasn't someone from outside of their social circle, (like a prostitute or someone from the lower class), but a member of the moneyed classes who was in league with Huntingdon. I thought it was very well done, particularly by the leads, Tara Fitzgerald and the ever-reliable Toby Stephens. I've looked at some of the reviews on Amazon though, and they are mixed, but as I haven't read the book, I don't know how relevant the comments are. It's worth a watch though.

wessexgirl
10-04-2009, 06:48 AM
I haven't read the book yet, but I have seen the tv adaptation from a few years ago, which I thought was very good, apart from some swirling, vertiginous camerawork, if I remember correctly. It may have something to do with the actors involved, but I didn't see Helen as overly pious at all. She had some grit about her to leave her husband and take her son with her. I thought it was, as you say, probably dynamite at the time it was written, and I thought the way it was played out on tv was excellent. I seem to remember a vile woman who was one of Huntingdon's paramours who was very obvious in her behaviour, and I wondered if it was as obvious in the book, or if the adaptation made it obvious, as she wasn't someone from outside of their social circle, (like a prostitute or someone from the lower class), but a member of the moneyed classes who was in league with Huntingdon. I thought it was very well done, particularly by the leads, Tara Fitzgerald and the ever-reliable Toby Stephens. I've looked at some of the reviews on Amazon though, and they are mixed, but as I haven't read the book, I don't know how relevant the comments are. It's worth a watch though.

prendrelemick
10-05-2009, 09:08 AM
My impression from the book was that all of Helen's motivations and actions came from her firm belief that to do right by God, was more important than to adhere to secular law. It was her strong faith in her maker and her sense of duty, that allowed her to carry on for so long under her husband's abuse. There are long discourses throughout the book about recieving your reward in heaven if you keep to the right path. (don''t let that put you off, but it is definetly a strong theme.) I would imagine that makers of modern adaptations would prefer a fiesty independent woman slant, rather than a strengh through faith one. I would add that I have not seen any screen adaptation at all.

The vile woman was Lady Lowborough, who was at first a rival for Huntingdon's hand, and later (after he was married to Helen, and she to Lord Lowborough)became his lover. She was never "in league" with him against Helen, her sole concern being herself. Remember that part of the book is exclusively the viewpoint of Helen and is taken from her personal journal. Of course she has to die in poverty in the end.