PDA

View Full Version : Understanding The Golden Bowl

Covert
09-29-2009, 07:38 AM
I am reading The Golden Bowl for the second time. Not sure whether the 2004 edition I have is considered to be volume 1 or 2, and I am not sure what this distinction means. Perhaps 2 is a "New York" series? Since my paperback makes no such distinction, presumably it is 1.

The first time through I had a difficult time understanding much of it. I since read a few essays on the book's meaning (obviously from the respective viewpoints and interpretations) and found the passages to be less complicated the second time. Nevertheless, I still run into a paragraph (or two) which confuses me, possibly because of idioms of the times, or I just don't get it.

If anyone on this forum would be willing to discuss a few of the passages that I find to be difficult, it would be fun - at least for me.

Gladys
10-14-2009, 12:55 AM
Nevertheless, I still run into a paragraph (or two) which confuses me, possibly because of idioms of the times, or I just don't get it.

If anyone on this forum would be willing to discuss a few of the passages that I find to be difficult, it would be fun - at least for me.

I'm 200 pages in, and starting to warm to the book. The first 100 pages were pure torture in that I seemed to have nothing to anchor meaning, and lost my way in many a paragraph.

http://static.open.salon.com/files/tm_m.chariot_goldenbowl21218209980.jpg

I'm too am happy to discuss passages as I trudge forward.

Gladys
12-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Having just read The Golden Bowl, my admiration for Henry James is boundless for a heart-warming and deeply moving story of three married couples of great sensitivity. What an exquisite example of delayed gratification from all six major characters!

I am reminded of similar restraint shown by Prince Myshkin in Dostoyevsky'sThe Idiot, but here are six characters - the Prince, Maggie, Charlotte, Mr Verver, Fanny Assingham and the Colonel - all showing enduring restraint and respect. Interpersonal relationships resonate like a Bach fugue, with a delightful resolution.

Edit: I have just chanced upon:

Ecclesiastes 12:5____...and desire shall fail: because man goeth to his long home, and the mourners go about the streets:
6____Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern.
7____Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.
8____Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity.

Gladys
01-16-2010, 01:38 AM
...he presently echoed: "'See'? I see nothing but you." And the truth of it had, with this force, after a moment, so strangely lighted his eyes that, as for pity and dread of them, she buried her own in his breast.
'Pity' in that the prince has utterly capitulated to Maggie's so subtle intervention and everlasting restraint. 'Dread' in that Maggie is overwhelmed by her awesome genius in subjugating, redeeming and reconciling her errant husband.

Maggie's patience and wisdom are rewarded as she ultimately reconstructs 'those formless fragments of her golden bowl she was trying so hard to pick up'. The happiest of endings!