PDA

View Full Version : do you think Moll Flanders is a Novel?

iris357
09-16-2009, 05:25 PM
I didn't fully feel that Moll Flanders is a novel. Although she was a particular character, and her life was realistic, her character does not make a connection with the reader, I felt. I didn't understand her actions and couldn't identify with her. Focused on survival as she was, maybe she didn't have time to show us her rich inner world. Still, her character was was not described deeply. The "how to" list of criminal activities didn't help as well. It was even a little formulaic : she does well, gets undone, finds a man...
Although she does go through major changes and become independent, until finally she saves herself and her lancashire husband. So I am confused, can it be considered as a novel? what do you think?

WildeDreams
09-23-2009, 09:29 AM
It's a good story, but it doesn't feel structured at all like a novel, I agree.

shapeshifter_
09-23-2009, 09:44 AM
well, moll is not a heroic character. an is living in an era too unfamiliar. thats why we cannot identify with her. and the writer seems to strive for making the fictional character life-like which creates an annoying air through the novel-excuse me book :D - it is a novel in shape but true, it doesnot feel like a novel. in ovels we expect to be carried away with the book and go to a fantasy world. unfortunately moll flanders doesnot succeed it totally, i agree

Towanda
10-16-2009, 05:02 AM
Hello there!
I'm studying Daniel Defoe and I'd like to know whether Moll Flanders' s character is an inspiration for the Simpson's one. Is it a satirical and ironic way of addressing the loving and puritan wife of Flanders? Please, I'd be very interested in your opinions.
Cheers.

sobaro
01-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Yeah, i do believe that Moll Flanders is a Meta-novel.

Babak Movahed
09-17-2010, 04:36 AM
All the things you are stating as to why it didn't seem like a novel have nothing to do with what makes a novel. Those are all just qualities that make a good story. The reason this doesn't have the structure of a novel is because it was amongst the first English novels, in which they didn't have a precedent to go off of. This book is very much a novel, if you don't believe me take an 18th century British novelist's class and ask your professor.