PDA

View Full Version : Pitching an idea: Lit-Networks Youtube Shakespeare Theatre

DanielBenoit
09-06-2009, 06:53 PM
(I wasn't sure of what section to put this in. I considered the Shakespeare seciton, but this isn't particuarlly about his works as it is about performing them, so mods, move it wherever it seems put :) )

Okay here's an idea: We choose a play from Shakespeare, we collect volunteers to play parts, and we link them onto here from youtube.

I know, it will be very hard to actually act out a play with all of the actors in isolation, but we can at least try our best.

What we do, is that first we all vote on a play. We then have volunteers audition for a part by posting a video of them acting out a particular part (don't be shy ;) ), it is voted on and the winner gets the role.

We then make a thread for each scene and have a deadline for the actors. They post their videos and the moderator or director edits it into one whole video.

Yeah I know this sounds complicated, and this is just an idea and a suggestion, so I just want to know what you guys think and see if we can make it happen.

I know that this is a literature forum and not an actors forum, but a greater understanding and appreatciation of literature can sprout when one acts it out.

We'll need somebody to be in control of everything (sorry, I'd love to, but I don't think I have the time), i.e., the voting polls, the threads, the editing, etc.

Anyway, just want to see what you guys think.

Feel free to ask questions or make suggestions.

NickAdams
09-08-2009, 04:04 PM
This sounds fun. Has there been any progress?

DanielBenoit
09-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Well all I need is feedback and a decision on if there are enough people who want to participate. I suppose if we can get up to ten to fifteen people who wish to act in both minor and major parts, then we've got ourselves a show, and can then vote on what play to do.

NickAdams
09-08-2009, 05:26 PM
I'm in, so that makes two. :)

DanielBenoit
09-08-2009, 05:33 PM
I'm in, so that makes two. :)

:banana:

Any other takers? Remember you're going to have to be on video. . .. . and acting Shakespeare.

Camera-shy people can help behind the scenes (like the editing and moderating and such).

Janine
09-08-2009, 06:38 PM
:banana:

Any other takers? Remember you're going to have to be on video. . .. . and acting Shakespeare.

Camera-shy people can help behind the scenes (like the editing and moderating and such).

Now wait, let me get this straight...we have to take a video or ourselves performing in a Shakespeare role; is that right? What if we don't own a video camera, like me? I mean this does sound like a cool idea, Daniel, but is it conceivable we could really pull this off?

DanielBenoit
09-08-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm sorry to anybody who doesn't have a video camera (I'm sure most camcorders have a video option). You can always do an audio recording by downloading a simple audio program from download.com (that's if your computer has an internal mic, as I think most do. Audacity is a great program for recording. The editor will have to find some way to convert the audio file into a video file with a blank screen so that it can be posted on Youtube.

But this doesn't mean that those of you with cameras can get away without using video, show us your faces :).

Janine, I don't know if this will work. We'll just have to see as it goes along. This will work with the collaboration of all of us (or those who volunteer at least).

By the way, if you don't want to be acting, but still want to be a part of this, we do need an editor:

Modorator (will be me if nobody wants it) : Will create threads and voting polls and post videos.

Editor: Each scene will have its own thread, so after each scene is done, the editor will have to edit all of the isolated videos together. (This job will require someone with a standard editing program and will have to be a little computer smart ;) )

Voters: All of you ;)

Yeah. . . . there's not much to do behind the scenes, so don't feel left out if you can't participate. We still need voters :)

By the way, once we collect enough volunteers (if we do), I will create a new thread so that we can vote on a play.

After deciding on one, our volunteers can send in their auditions. If more than one person wants to play a part, they can be judged and voted on in a poll.

How the Youtube Account will work

Once we collect volunteers, I will create a youtube account called LitNetShakespeareTheatre, with the password being "litnet" so that anybody on the forums can upload there video onto there.

Once we get videos, the editor (NickAdams) will log on and compile them into the first scene.

NickAdams
09-08-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm sure we can use our imagination.

I have Final Cut and would be happy to edit.

DanielBenoit
09-08-2009, 07:46 PM
I'm sure we can use our imagination.

I have Final Cut and would be happy to edit.

:banana::smash::smash::banana:

Final Cut vouchsafed

AdoreroDio
09-08-2009, 08:16 PM
I am interested in acting I suppose.

DanielBenoit
09-08-2009, 08:18 PM
I am interested in acting I suppose.

Our first actor! :banana:

(by the way, nice signature)

toni
09-09-2009, 12:33 AM
I'd love to be part of this but as I don't possess a video camera :bawling:, I'd glady volunteer to be in-charge of the polls, voting, etc. Let me know how I can be involved :D Thank you very much.

This is really exciting

DanielBenoit
09-09-2009, 12:47 AM
I'd love to be part of this but as I don't possess a video camera :bawling:, I'd glady volunteer to be in-charge of the polls, voting, etc. Let me know how I can be involved :D Thank you very much.

This is really exciting

Okay, you're in charge of setting of threads and polls for each scene.

By the way everybody, audio recording is always an option, especially since both of the two behind-the-scenes jobs are taken. If you have a webcam attached to your computer or whatnot, that's fine too.

It seems I was being a bit assuming in thinking that everyone would have a video camera (sorry, photographers pretension).

*edit*

Okay, here's an extra update.

I suppose, that after skimming through the Dramatis Personae in the plays, that we might only need about six or seven actors, each playing multiple parts of course.

Also, I've realized that we'll need somebody to regulate the videos and ask for extra takes or whatnot (i.e. a director). I suppose I'll privlidge myself with this and will only ask for extra takes if I really think that there is a problem in articulation or whatnot (i.e. I won't be no Stanley Kubrick ;) ), Now, since NickAdams gets the Final Cut he will decide what will stay in and what will stay out.

Still needing actors. :D

toni
09-09-2009, 01:59 PM
It seems I was being a bit assuming in thinking that everyone would have a video camera (sorry, photographers pretension).

Still needing actors. :D

Would you like to audition for a part? We are short of actors and besides you do, own a camera. :D

We then make a thread for each scene ...

If I may suggest, how about creating a social group for Lit-Networks Youtube Shakespeare Theatre? :D I think it would be more organized if we have just one place to update. Except of course, when we start putting up the polls. Just a thought.

DanielBenoit
09-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Would you like to audition for a part? We are short of actors and besides you do, own a camera. :D

If I may suggest, how about creating a social group for Lit-Networks Youtube Shakespeare Theatre? :D I think it would be more organized if we have just one place to update. Except of course, when we start putting up the polls. Just a thought.

Perfect! I'm making it right now!

Yeah I was thinking about it. . . . .hell, why not? :banana:

*edit*

What has been done, is that the Shakespeare Fan Club is now the hompage for updates and discussoin for the Youtube Shakespeare Project. Once all volunteers are gathered up, this will be the main place for background discussion and planning. Though, as toni pointed out, this will not be the place for polls or voting.

NickAdams
09-09-2009, 04:05 PM
A Kubrick approach would definitely take the fun out of the project, but lets all do our best anyway.

This is just a thought: those who don't have a video camera, but have a still camera and perhaps a mic, they could always take multiple still photographs and I can sync audio to it.

Perhaps if we start voting on a play, we might get interest from the other members.

Also, Mr. Director :), there might be a way to make it look like the actors are interacting with each other. Here's a video that achieves it and the participants were rarely in the same country:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfBlUQguvyw

Janine
09-09-2009, 04:56 PM
A Kubrick approach would definitely take the fun out of the project, but lets all do our best anyway.

This is just a thought: those who don't have a video camera, but have a still camera and perhaps a mic, they could always take multiple still photographs and I can sync audio to it.

That is true and I just saw an old film that employed that technique and it actually worked out quite well. It was done out of necessity and not to make the film more artsy. Speaking of the old classic b/w film "Lost Horizons"; because some of the footage could not be repaired or restored, they simply took stills from it and inserted them into the film with audio. It didn't bother me one bit; I found it to be rather intriguing...at least this way some parts of the film and story were not missing.

Perhaps if we start voting on a play, we might get interest from the other members.

That's true; because now it seems too sketchy. How can one auditon for a role they don't know will exist? I have to admit, I had my doubts about this project, but it seems to be somewhat feasible now. I don't know how many 'hams' you are going to find on Litnet, but I think there may be a few...not me, though...I am totally camera shy and I can't recite or act lines for anything!

Also, Mr. Director :), there might be a way to make it look like the actors are interacting with each other. Here's a video that achieves it and the participants were rarely in the same country:

You kiddin', they do that with most movies nowdays. Often the actors have never even met.

DanielBenoit
09-10-2009, 12:50 AM

Excellent idea! You're getting a raise! :nod:

I'll send toni (our thread moderator) all of the instructions for each thread that will be made for each scene.

Wow! Nice find. At times I was really tricked and thought they were in the same room. I still have no idea how the part at 1:46 was done! What I was originally thinking was that we could cut between shots to the other person and back again. The only problem is that there will never be two people in the same shot, but if you can figure out a way to make it look
like there are two people in the same shot, then that's perfect.

...not me, though...I am totally camera shy and I can't recite or act lines for anything!

:cold: Oh well!

Okay toni, I sent you a PM conveying all of the instructions. If you have any questions just ask. Thank you so much!!!!

Nightshade
09-10-2009, 04:17 AM
Well this is all very intresting and Id like to see what you make of it, but seeing as can't read aloud and any have no intrest in seeing my face on youtube I won't be involved I dont think.
So what play are you doing? Or are you doing sonnets?

DanielBenoit
09-10-2009, 10:18 AM
We'll be voting on one in our new thread. :)

Nightshade
09-10-2009, 05:51 PM
I've had an idea for you, since none of you wreer around I dont think when this thread was originally around, we had this where people posted voice links. ( You need to go to near the end of the thread for a working link , but I for one would like to hear audtions here on the lit net!
http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24298&highlight=voices&page=5