PDA

View Full Version : Need help lpease help

SMOKEYNOK
09-02-2009, 09:16 PM
RALPH WALDO EMERSON WHY WAS HE KICKED OUT OF THE CLERGY ???? AND WHAT WAS THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN HIS SECOND WIFE LYDIA AND HIS FAVORITE STUDENT HENRY DAVID THOREAU????:banana::banana::banana:

mono
09-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Emerson did not get "kicked out" of the clergy, though he might have gotten the boot eventually, but he resigned. I recall reading it in a short biography of his, and he resigned shortly after his wife's early death, but luckily Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Waldo_Emerson) had a short paragraph on the subject that may answer your question:

Boston's Second Church invited Emerson to serve as its junior pastor and he was ordained on March 11, 1829. Emerson met his first wife, Ellen Louisa Tucker, in Concord, New Hampshire and married her when she was 18. The couple moved to Boston, with Emerson's mother Ruth moving with them to help take care of Ellen, who was already sick with tuberculosis. Less than two years later, Ellen died at the age of 20 on February 8, 1831, after uttering her last words: "I have not forgot the peace and joy". Emerson was heavily affected by her death and often visited her grave. In a journal entry dated March 29, 1831, Emerson wrote, "I visited Ellen's tomb and opened the coffin". After his wife's death, he began to disagree with the church's methods, writing in his journal in June 1832: "I have sometimes thought that, in order to be a good minister, it was necessary to leave the ministry. The profession is antiquated. In an altered age, we worship in the dead forms of our forefathers". His disagreements with church officials over the administration of the Communion service and misgivings about public prayer eventually led to his resignation in 1832. As he wrote, "This mode of commemorating Christ is not suitable to me. That is reason enough why I should abandon it".