PDA

View Full Version : The Princess de Cléves by Madame de Lafayette

Veho
08-19-2009, 12:59 AM
I have just searched for any mention of this book on the forum and I can't find one.

The plot follows the story of The Princess de Cléves in 16th century France, where she attracts the attention of a number of suitors. After she marries a man she doesn't love she meets Monsieur de Nemours who pursues her unrelentingly; to the downfall of one character. I won't divulge any more of the story, incase those who have not read it wish to do so.

Written in the 1600s, the authoress chose to set the story of the fictitious Madame de Cléves within the court of Henri II of France. However, most of the characters (except the heroine) are historical figures.

The story started rather slow and in actual fact it's not a novel with a great many eventful happenings, but the strength of this book is in the emotional psychology that we experience with the protagonist. By the end, I found I had become attached to the character of Madame de Cléves and the poignant ending left me with a mixture of feelings.

Overall I rate it 3.5/5 - I did find Madame de Lafayette's character dialogue a touch too sentimental at times.

Has anyone else read this novel?

CaptainHatteras
12-01-2009, 11:13 PM
I've read this novel about a year ago. I'm not a romantic guy but this novel struck me as remarkable. It helps, of course, that I'm fascinated with history and this novel is written in the 17th century depicting the 1500's. The psychological aspect of it was absolutely captivating, towards the end of the novel I felt emotionally invested in the main characters.

Overall a pleasant escape from your day to day modern chaos into the intricate intrigues at the royal court of France.

Veho
12-05-2009, 09:51 PM
I've read this novel about a year ago. I'm not a romantic guy but this novel struck me as remarkable. It helps, of course, that I'm fascinated with history and this novel is written in the 17th century depicting the 1500's. The psychological aspect of it was absolutely captivating, towards the end of the novel I felt emotionally invested in the main characters.

Overall a pleasant escape from your day to day modern chaos into the intricate intrigues at the royal court of France.

I thought I must be the only one on this forum to have read it! It's good to read someone else's thoughts on it.

CaptainHatteras
12-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Yes, it's not that popular, is it? It used to be a best seller when it was originally published.

Agatha
12-09-2009, 09:18 AM
I've been planning to read this book ages ago, but I couldn't find it in my school library. There's only French original... Anyway I love French lit, so I must find it in some bookshop :)

CaptainHatteras
12-12-2009, 05:17 PM
I've been planning to read this book ages ago, but I couldn't find it in my school library. There's only French original... Anyway I love French lit, so I must find it in some bookshop :)

You can get it on the internet. Ebay, for instance:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=princess+de+cleves&_sacat=See-All-Categories

SleepyWitch
12-17-2009, 11:36 AM
I read it for a uni course and I remember that I liked it quite a bit at the time. Have forgotten most of it though. If I ever re-read it, I'll post a more meaningful comment :)

gomari
01-11-2010, 05:26 PM
I've read this book last year and I enjoyed it very much.