PDA

View Full Version : Blackadder - which is best?

Mr Endon
08-03-2009, 03:47 AM
I'm aware that this will be a very short-lived thread.

Yet a try it must be given!

Which season do you like best?

The only strong feelings I have are for the 2nd, it's just terrible. All the other are pure genius. Maybe my preference is split between the first (for its boldness, Atkinson's play-doh face, and 'gloriously over-the-top' Brian Blessed) and the last (for its perfect cast, biting social criticism, and great blend of comedy and drama). The third is hilarious but too similar to Yes Minister to get the originality points.

Have your say!

Niamh
08-03-2009, 04:06 AM
I loved the 2nd one! I thought that one was so funny. The 3rd one i found kind of annoying. I like the 1st one, and the 4th one has a great ending.
Whats everyones thoughts on Back and Forth?

Helga
08-03-2009, 04:58 AM
1 season of Blackadder was very good, I haven't seen all of the other seasons unfortunately

wessexgirl
08-03-2009, 05:30 AM
I feel like we haven't been watching the same series Mr E. as I don't get the reference to Yes Minister with the 3rd series. The 3rd and the 4th are my favourites. The last ever episode was just brilliant. Who would have thought that such an hysterically funny series could change tack so much as to have you crying at the end? I think that everything came together in these series, the wonderful writing and acting. The first series, although okay, was nowhere near as good as the others, where Ben Elton had been brought in to write with Curtis and the roles were reversed, with Baldrick being the stooge and Blackadder the master manipulator. I can't tell you how many times I've watched these, but I usually go to the 3rd series for a pick-me-up. Hugh Laurie as the Prince Regent is hilarious. I love them so much, and along with the Ricky Gervais output, they are my all-time favourite tv comedies.

Mr Endon
08-03-2009, 07:26 AM
I loved the 2nd one! I thought that one was so funny. The 3rd one i found kind of annoying. I like the 1st one, and the 4th one has a great ending.
Whats everyones thoughts on Back and Forth?

The 2nd season's ending says all to me: way too 'good wins, hurrah!' to be funny ;) but, to be sure, it has its moments!
Unfortunately never seen Back and Forth. Is it worth it?

1 season of Blackadder was very good, I haven't seen all of the other seasons unfortunately

Oh, you must give them a try - must warn you though, they're 'something completely different'!

I feel like we haven't been watching the same series Mr E. as I don't get the reference to Yes Minister with the 3rd series. The 3rd and the 4th are my favourites. The last ever episode was just brilliant. Who would have thought that such an hysterically funny series could change tack so much as to have you crying at the end? I think that everything came together in these series, the wonderful writing and acting. The first series, although okay, was nowhere near as good as the others, where Ben Elton had been brought in to write with Curtis and the roles were reversed, with Baldrick being the stooge and Blackadder the master manipulator. I can't tell you how many times I've watched these, but I usually go to the 3rd series for a pick-me-up. Hugh Laurie as the Prince Regent is hilarious. I love them so much, and along with the Ricky Gervais output, they are my all-time favourite tv comedies.

I love the third, don't get me wrong: it's just that the political commentary behind it (specially in the first episode), the slick, clever, unscrupulous man puppeteering the gullible, clueless, powerful man at will struck me as being akin to Yes Minister, but I indulge in that kind of questionable comparisons too often, I guess.

The third is definitely the funniest, the first is funny in a dark, 'mirthless laugh' kind of way, and the fourth is absolutely brilliant, alternating between embittered stings and pure hilarity. And the ending. That ending is surely one of the best half hours in British television.

(Gervais! The Office is terrific, innit? But that will have to be for another thread :))

MarkBastable
08-03-2009, 08:20 AM
I thought the first one was deeply flawed and very unfunny (and a comedy doesn't get more deeply flawed than that).

After that, each series was better than its predecessor.

wessexgirl
08-03-2009, 08:32 AM
The 2nd season's ending says all to me: way too 'good wins, hurrah!' to be funny ;) but, to be sure, it has its moments!

I love the third, don't get me wrong: it's just that the political commentary behind it (specially in the first episode), the slick, clever, unscrupulous man puppeteering the gullible, clueless, powerful man at will struck me as being akin to Yes Minister, but I indulge in that kind of questionable comparisons too often, I guess.

The third is definitely the funniest, the first is funny in a dark, 'mirthless laugh' kind of way, and the fourth is absolutely brilliant, alternating between embittered stings and pure hilarity. And the ending. That ending is surely one of the best half hours in British television.

(Gervais! The Office is terrific, innit? But that will have to be for another thread :))

Didn't the second one end with them all dead and the evil Ludwig alive, disguised as the Queen? And I thought that the whole manipulating of the Prince by Blackadder was the point of the character and the humour, it's whole raison d'etre.

I agree about the last one though, one of the most memorable programmes in tv history.

Have you seen Extras by Ricky Gervais? The Office is absolutely brilliant, and I never thought he could do anything as good, but he came up with the goods with Extras. A much subtler character, but hilarious none the less, and the array of stars lining up to let themselves be harpooned by him is fantastic. He has that mixture of comedy and pathos down to a tee, and the last ever episode is very moving, after being hilarious.

prendrelemick
08-03-2009, 11:01 AM
The forth one is definately the best, much more of an ensemble piece, there were no weaker parts.

But they were all good.

Mr Endon
08-03-2009, 12:38 PM
I thought the first one was deeply flawed and very unfunny (and a comedy doesn't get more deeply flawed than that).

After that, each series was better than its predecessor.

Yes, it certainly was flawed, but I still found its 'flawedness' funny ;)

The forth one is definately the best, much more of an ensemble piece, there were no weaker parts.

But they were all good.

I agree, the most well balanced indeed.

Didn't the second one end with them all dead and the evil Ludwig alive, disguised as the Queen?

It did?! Dear me, did that happen after the credits?

Read the wiki article on it. It did. Wow! Great ending then. My opinion of the second season remains unchanged!

And I thought that the whole manipulating of the Prince by Blackadder was the point of the character and the humour, it's whole raison d'etre.

Well, it is - but for the third season only. In the first, well, you know it's nothing like that. And in the second and forth he only controls Baldrick, remaining most of the times a prisoner of the Queen's and Melchett's whims. All I was saying is that it had sort of been done in Yes Minister, but I could be wrong, and if it has or not is irrelevant, really, it remains a hilarious season.

I agree about the last one though, one of the most memorable programmes in tv history.

:)

Have you seen Extras by Ricky Gervais? The Office is absolutely brilliant, and I never thought he could do anything as good, but he came up with the goods with Extras. A much subtler character, but hilarious none the less, and the array of stars lining up to let themselves be harpooned by him is fantastic. He has that mixture of comedy and pathos down to a tee, and the last ever episode is very moving, after being hilarious.

Everyone says marvellous things about Extras, I must watch it!

wessexgirl
08-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Everyone says marvellous things about Extras, I must watch it!

You must see it, it's sublime. Here's a little taster....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnOtmimxSVw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv6mEv_rDdE&feature=related

Excruciating......Gervais excels in humilation comedy :lol:.

islandclimber
08-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Oh, season 3 is the funniest of the 3, Laurie as the twit of a Prince Regent is just brilliant.. I love it.. the only problem with Season 3 was the absence of Tom Mcinerney for the better part of it..

but Blackadder the Fourth is the masterpiece... it is just amazing, and seems to pull together parts from all the other seasons, the dark malevolent humour of the first, the more sophisticated cunning and witty humour of the second, and the outright hilarity of the third... the last episode of the show is just stunning..

Back and Forth is just great Niamh, I love that episode, and then the Christmas special was pretty great too haha...

I love how as his social status deteriorates through the series he seems to become more and more cunning and devious, from incompetent Prince, to clever Lord, to manipulative and devious Royal Butler, to the climax of his brilliance as the regular army captain.. and finally in Back and Forth we see BlackAdder rewarded for all his scheming by becoming Grand Monarch..

I love Atkinson in Not the Nine O'clock News as well, that was such a great show...

weltanschauung
08-03-2009, 11:57 PM
man.. i watched episode 1 season 1 on youtube...
so funny.

amalia1985
08-05-2009, 06:35 AM
I loved each one of them, but I think that Season 3 is my favourite. Hugh Laurie was just great!

jajdude
03-16-2011, 06:41 AM
Ah, enjoyed watching most of the episodes over a year ago. Baldrick was a good character.

Patrick_Bateman
03-16-2011, 06:46 AM
The 2nd is the best one

The first is the worst