PDA

View Full Version : The most generally regarded English version

cidkid
08-01-2009, 06:35 AM
I just read War & Peace, The Original Version, and suspicious about the ending, I wound up at this site. Seeing that there are several more parts than the seven in the version I've just read, but this version being my introduction to Tolstoy, I want to read "the Classical text" version, but don't know anything about this subject. I want to read the most generally accepted and read English translation, and the longer the better, can any of you offer me some advice? Which book exactly am I looking for?

I'm starting Anna Karenina tonight! Really excited!

bazarov
09-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Original is much longer and I am not sure whether version on this site is or isn't original. Ask mods, they should know it. Original is about 1400 pages so you can try in your library.

TheChilly
08-30-2011, 08:38 AM
I just read War & Peace, The Original Version, and suspicious about the ending, I wound up at this site. Seeing that there are several more parts than the seven in the version I've just read, but this version being my introduction to Tolstoy, I want to read "the Classical text" version, but don't know anything about this subject. I want to read the most generally accepted and read English translation, and the longer the better, can any of you offer me some advice? Which book exactly am I looking for?

I'm starting Anna Karenina tonight! Really excited!

Which translation? The Constance Garnett version?