PDA

View Full Version : Is man a killer?

blazeofglory
07-31-2009, 08:28 AM
I oftentimes mull over the idea of evolution and arrive at the realization that there is the killer within each of us.

The idea of survival is rooted in the fact that we have to kill others, whether animals or plants. And killing is deemed a sin in every religion. We kill animals. Biologically man is also animal. Religions prohibit the killings of humans and are silent about the killings of animals.

And I cannot understand when men kill many animals, hunt and destroy even their habitats, the whole forest indifferently. And society is not critical of this issue at all, but when he kills a single human he is punishable. Do not take this literally that I support the idea of homicide.

But what I am against is, ecologically speaking, having an apathetic attitude towards animal beings.

Of course man must kill to survive. In nature to survive one has to kill another creature whether it is man or animal or plant. All whether men or animals or plants or birds all are equal and I do not think destroying one is a sacrilege and the other is not.

We sapient beings are cunning and have colonized this planet unfeelingly and we keep on annihilating their genres to assert and brace up our existences.

To speak bluntly man is the most heinous killer.

Helga
07-31-2009, 09:11 AM
I totally agree with you, man can be the cruelest killer on earth. most animals kill to feed their family and not many kill more than they need, we kill way to much and often without reason. also the way we kill animals isn't always as humane as we like to think. even though we are the most evolved animal on earth that shouldn't give us the right to treat other animals and their habitat like trash.

FanofdeBeauvoir
08-06-2009, 02:31 PM
I agree that humans have killers in them, but I disagree that animals only kill to survive or feed their families, animals also have the capacity for cruelty, they can even act with sadism, the only example of this that I remember now is how the cat plays with the mouse for a good while before eating it.

weltanschauung
08-06-2009, 02:38 PM
necessity justifies the ends and the means.
sentimental evironmentality is comical.

Saladin
08-06-2009, 03:47 PM
"People talk sometimes of bestial cruelty, but that's a great injustice and insult to the beasts; a beast can never be so cruel as a man, so artistically cruel. The tiger only tears and gnaws, that's all he can do. He would never think of nailing people by the ears, even if he were able to do it."

- The Brothers Karamazov

JuniperWoolf
08-07-2009, 03:03 AM

Human beings aren't getting along with the planet, or with nature. People sometimes forget that nature created us, we're products of the environment. We have to take care of it, because that's all that there is. We need it because it gives us life. If we keep destroying it, we will be selected against and our species will die off. It's very simple. If we keep excessively and indiscriminately killing the plants and animals that we need, we are unfit to survive. That seems to be what's happening now. Sentimentality plays a part, because that's what we are. Complex emotions and complex thoughts are what set humans apart from other species, and we use our emotions to make decisions. If those decisions aren't in favour of not foolishly destroying our own habitat, then we'll die. The earth will survive our existance. We won't survive our own stupidity.

"Though man might boast of having conquered nature, that's not the case: for if nature were to shrug or to merely raise it's eyebrow, then we should all be gone."
-Alan Moore

Maximilianus
08-10-2009, 11:42 PM
And I cannot understand when men kill many animals, hunt and destroy even their habitats, the whole forest indifferently. And society is not critical of this issue at all, but when he kills a single human he is punishable.
Laws were made by people, for people and regarding people. But if animals ever acquired the ability of rebellion there would be people writing laws to deal with the problem. You can bet on that.

To speak bluntly man is the most heinous killer.
You can bet with shut eyes!

necessity justifies the ends and the means.
Let's say you need ten deers to live on their meat for a whole year in the woods, and instead you butcher a hundred just because they were passing by and you felt like having fun, practicing your shooting. Is there a necessity in that? Is it comical? What if a deer grabs a gun and shoots one of us not for food but just for pleasure? Would that be comical too?

I agree that humans have killers in them, but I disagree that animals only kill to survive or feed their families, animals also have the capacity for cruelty, they can even act with sadism, the only example of this that I remember now is how the cat plays with the mouse for a good while before eating it.
The Nigerians have a related saying: "When the mouse laughs in the face of the cat, it's because he's seen a near hole" or something like that. I dunno if mice can laugh, but if cats are that cruel I wouldn't blame mice laughing from a hole.

Other than that, spiders (or some species of them) often stare at their preys while they revolve in agony, trapped in the web. They don't kill their preys right away. It's more like, they watch you dying and only then is when they eat you. I'm not sure if there's a specific justifiable purpose for this, but it looks like cruelty.

That being said, I guess cruelty is built-in in more than one species, apparently being one of the many features of Nature.

rimbaud
09-11-2009, 08:04 PM
"People talk sometimes of bestial cruelty, but that's a great injustice and insult to the beasts; a beast can never be so cruel as a man, so artistically cruel. The tiger only tears and gnaws, that's all he can do. He would never think of nailing people by the ears, even if he were able to do it."

- The Brothers Karamazov

I totally agree with this, and it's very well elaborated in the book, I made my paper on this, well on "Ivan's Rebelion"

If we were like beast we would just kill for survival. But we have common sense, and we don't do that, we know other ways to survive, we don't need to. But then, killing became a diferent kind of hunger, the one that came from the mind. Humans are hungry for control, and power, and killing gives them that, it sort of makes them feel like God. And that's not it, they become artist in killing, they enter beauty in it.