PDA

View Full Version : Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? is it a question?

Amylian
07-25-2009, 02:49 AM
Hey,

Last night, me and my friends were arguing whether or not we should consider 'Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?" a question or a conditional sentence. According to him, he stated that "in the Shakespearean era, the people had a habit of saying the conditional sentences with shall." it is as if it means 'If I compare thee to a a summer's day."

On the other hand, I said it was a question; since the poet wanted to make a comparison, he had to ask first whether he compares her or not. I stated that " the tone I get and the impression I get upon reading the first line is a question in mind."

So people, what do you think?

Regards,
Amylian

MarkBastable
07-25-2009, 02:52 AM

I think your friend is making it up as he goes along.

Amylian
07-25-2009, 03:56 AM
I think your friend is making it up as he goes along.

I know, but this is not the all of it. I mean he might have convinced me if it weren't for my obduracy. Really!

prendrelemick
07-25-2009, 03:59 AM
Its a him, not a her I'm afraid.

to paraphrase-

Shall I compare thee to a summers day?

er no i don't think so,the glories of summer are transient.
While your glories will live on in my poetry.

Haley18
07-25-2009, 04:03 AM
Ive recently done a paper on sonnets and we covered that one. prendrelemick is extremely correct, i am very impressed :)

kelby_lake
09-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Hey,

Last night, me and my friends were arguing whether or not we should consider 'Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?" a question or a conditional sentence. According to him, he stated that "in the Shakespearean era, the people had a habit of saying the conditional sentences with shall." it is as if it means 'If I compare thee to a a summer's day."

On the other hand, I said it was a question; since the poet wanted to make a comparison, he had to ask first whether he compares her or not. I stated that " the tone I get and the impression I get upon reading the first line is a question in mind."

Regards,
Amylian

I think your friend is right.

mike thomas
12-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Shake-speares Sonnets 1609, sonnet 18, line 1:

Shall I compare thee to a summers day?

? at the end means question.

cheers

KCV16
09-24-2011, 11:44 AM
More a retorical question than a question to be answered by anyone but WS himself...

kelby_lake
10-15-2011, 11:14 AM
i agree with the above :)

MarkBastable
10-15-2011, 11:31 AM
Hey,

According to him, he stated that "in the Shakespearean era, the people had a habit of saying the conditional sentences with shall."

This, by the way, is complete crap.

What he might have been thinking about is a conditional using 'should', inverted to get rid of the 'if'. It's pretty well explained here (http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2030721) in the fourth post down.

The essence of the thing is (and I quote the guy's post):

Certain auxiliary verbs in conditional if-clauses can be moved to the front:

(1)
a. If I were rich, I'd buy a mansion.
b. Were I rich, I'd buy a mansion.

(2)
a. If Jim had not been injured, he would have continued playing football.
b. Had Jim not been injured, he would have continued playing football.

(3)
a. If the products should be inadequate..., ...
b. Should the products be inadequate..., ...

Basically, the formula is that

if + <subject> + <auxiliary> + <verb>

becomes

<auxiliary> + <subject> + <verb>