PDA

View Full Version : Jane Austen Book Club.

Zee.
07-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Book one, Persuasion

All the details can be found here:

http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45750

Night_Lamp
07-16-2009, 04:10 PM
In second semester, I'm taking an Austen class at school. I've read all of them before, some several times, and would be interested if I could squeeze it in. After Christmas when my class starts, I'll have even more to add to the conversation.

Virgil
07-16-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm reading Persuasion starting in a week or so. I would love to talk about that. However I can't promise I can keep up with another book club. When I can join I would love to participate. I wouldn't mind doing an Austen novel per year.

JBI
07-16-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm up for it, I think, but which book?

In second semester, I'm taking an Austen class at school. I've read all of them before, some several times, and would be interested if I could squeeze it in. After Christmas when my class starts, I'll have even more to add to the conversation.

You at Western? - I was supposed to take one at U of T, but it filled up before my course enrollment start time, so I had to take something else.

Zee.
07-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Hey JBI, well, considering Virgil said he's going to start Persuasion in a week, maybe we could start with that?
and then i'm keen to move on to Sense and Sensibility.

Niamh
07-17-2009, 02:44 AM
Sounds good to me. count me in.
I would however like to point out that it is kinda unfair on the majority of the forum if you keep it exclusive to ten people. I know it is easier in the long run, but if people dont participate, well then they dont. If they throw there opinion in, than let them. They can always read back over discussions any way. :)

Zee.
07-17-2009, 05:11 AM
Agreed.
10 people idea, canned. It was just an outline anyway.

prendrelemick
07-17-2009, 05:42 AM
I am between books at the moment, and was thinking of reading P&P again anyway. But Persuasion is good, when do we start? Where do we post?

Zee.
07-17-2009, 05:50 AM
Well, up to all of you, i' just created this thread today ( i think? )

Let's vote on the first book we should read

Niamh
07-17-2009, 06:12 AM
we could kep the discussions to here like they do in the Lawerance thread and Checkov threads.

And it seems people are already up for Persuasion. :) Of course, I have no problems reading it! Its my fav.

Zee.
07-17-2009, 07:16 AM
We should pick a date that we start reading it, but.. when it comes to moving on to another book, do we just move on, even if someone hasn't finished?

Niamh
07-17-2009, 08:56 AM
could give about a three month period for each book then to insure that everyone has gotten to read it and discuss it. :)

Zee.
07-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Agreed - gah, i need more participants!

Niamh
07-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Advertise it in the litnet town crier.

1n50mn14
07-17-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm in.

prendrelemick
07-17-2009, 11:03 AM
could give about a three month period for each book then to insure that everyone has gotten to read it and discuss it. :)

I would like an ongoing discussion as well. What do you think?

wessexgirl
07-17-2009, 11:35 AM

I'll join if I can. When are we starting, as I was going to join in with the August read too, the Gothic one? But I'm up for it. I'm glad it's Persuasion first, (if it is).

Zee.
07-17-2009, 11:42 AM
I like Niamh's idea of 3 months. This should include both reading the book and discussing it, and then after that time period.. we move on. So we'll have a set date to start and end each book. I like the idea of talking about it as we read and afterwards. Ideally, i'd like us to get through all of them - it'd take awhile but I think it'd be great. I still think we should vote on the first book.

Anyone else have any suggestions for how this thing should run?

Mathor
07-17-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm certainly in! This will make me have to commit to reading them, cause I want to read all of them and discuss them! So, yeah, let's start with Persuasion.

Zee.
07-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Okie dokie, i'm going to "advertise" this a bit.

I'm sure, because I assume this will go on for a long time, that we will be busy with well, things... life, travel, whatever it may be - so 3 months spent on each book seems pretty good to me. We should sort out dates for each book and the order we'll read them in now, so i can edit my op and add a list of dates so we're all clear

Niamh - do i submit this thread to a mod to put in the crier?

Mathor
07-17-2009, 12:06 PM
If only you were a moderator and could create sub-threads for each book (but exclusive jane austen book club threads) so there was this thread, and it had subthreads so that as we read each book we could discuss parts of it and that way if someone is late to join they could just post discussion in that individual thread?

Niamh
07-17-2009, 12:15 PM
If only you were a moderator and could create sub-threads for each book (but exclusive jane austen book club threads) so there was this thread, and it had subthreads so that as we read each book we could discuss parts of it and that way if someone is late to join they could just post discussion in that individual thread?

Doesnt really work that way... But Lima can however set up a thread titled Jane Austen Book Club Read 1- Persuasion if she wants to. She can add a link to it in the OP of this thread if need be, and each read from then on. :)

Lima, you dont need to but if you want i'll do it for you.

Zee.
07-17-2009, 12:16 PM
I think we should discuss our first one in this thread and once we're done, i or someone else can create another thread, e.g Book club - Sense and Sensibility - so we can discuss the relevant book in a new thread. I'll make sure that there is a list of dates for all of the books in both this thread and others.

I've seen and been apart of many failed book clubs and I really want this one to work out because it's something i've wanted to do for awhile. I think what makes them work is, well.. rules. Which is why I agree with Niamh's idea of 3 months to read and discuss before moving on to the next book. People are welcome to join at any time but we move on when the date of the next book rolls around whether one person has finished or not.

Doesnt really work that way... But Lima can however set up a thread titled Jane Austen Book Club Read 1- Persuasion if she wants to.

Lima, you dont need to but if you want i'll do it for you.

^ Yeah that sounds good Niamh

Niamh
07-17-2009, 12:17 PM
^ Yeah that sounds good Niamh

I edited the post since you posted.
and which bit sounds good?

Zee.
07-17-2009, 12:19 PM
"Lima, you dont need to but if you want i'll do it for you."

I think we should use this thread to discuss with each other ideas for how this will work, dates and the order we'll read our books in and once that's decided, i'll edit my OP with a list of book dates and create a new thread for our first book, linking back to this thread so newcomers have an idea of what's going on

Niamh
07-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Right so! :D

Virgil
07-17-2009, 01:04 PM
So are we doing Persuasion first?

Niamh
07-17-2009, 01:21 PM
I think everyone so far has agreed to it... dont think we need to vote..

Mathor
07-17-2009, 01:23 PM
I wanna say.

1. Persuasion
2. Sense and Sensibility

keep it at something like that for now (as it would take 6 months to finish those) and whoever is still on the boat at that point can decide from there.

JBI
07-17-2009, 01:29 PM
I would say Mansfield Park, Emma, Persuasion, but I've read them all already, so it makes no difference.

Dark Muse
07-17-2009, 02:18 PM
I like the idea, but I am going to have to wait untill we start Sense and Senseablity, I have been wanting to read that one, and I really did not care for Persuasion.

Nightshade
07-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Im in!
Im about to reread my austens anyway been more than 6 years now.

Mathor
07-17-2009, 05:26 PM
So when does this start? I'm excited to get started!

Zee.
07-17-2009, 05:44 PM
I know everyone is keen on Persuasion first, but there are some who aren't, e.g Dark Muse
+ there will be more people joining who want a say in it.

I'm letting a few more people know about this today and i'm going to create a poll for people to vote which book we should do first. I'll close it tommorow, and then we can work out when we read the others - and then we'll start

Niamh
07-17-2009, 05:54 PM
maybe give it longer than a day lima. give till monday...

Zee.
07-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Haha yeah, one day was a bit silly..

Virgil
07-17-2009, 05:56 PM
maybe give it longer than a day lima. give till monday...

Yes that would be a good idea.

Nightshade
07-17-2009, 05:57 PM
As long as we dont start with Northanger Abbey or S&S neither of which I like I will be good.
will we be reading Lady SUsan and Love and Freindship ( austens spelling not mine) too?

Zee.
07-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Hmm, i'm trying to find a way to change the date on my poll or remove it altogether. There doesn't seem to be an option for it though?

Zee.
07-17-2009, 05:58 PM
As long as we dont start with Northanger Abbey or S&S neither of which I like I will be good.
will we be reading Lady SUsan and Love and Freindship ( austens spelling not mine) too?

If you'd like to, of course we can

Mathor
07-17-2009, 06:01 PM

I think we should but I think we should read the 6 main novels first?

Niamh
07-17-2009, 06:02 PM
date changed.

yeah the six mains first. i'm not partial to Lady Susan... dont know that other one nightie. I liked what she had of sandition and the watsons...

Dark Muse
07-17-2009, 06:09 PM
I really don't mind if the rest of you want to start with Persuasion I can just sit that one out.

Zee.
07-17-2009, 06:12 PM
So poll closes in a couple of days, we'll then need to decide the order for the rest of them so I can put a date chart up

Nightshade
07-17-2009, 06:24 PM
well yes read the six main ones first, although if we read them in written order you would be starting with Lady Susan and nding with persuasuion
sort of see how Austen developed as she went along type thing.

stlukesguild
07-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Its been a while since I read any Austen so I'd be up to read and discuss a bit... but rather like Virgil I can't promise I'll be around for the full score. Im quite focused on my own artwork right now and haven't been doing a lot of reading... far more listening to music... but I think Austen would be a fun break.

Petrarch's Love
07-18-2009, 01:28 AM
Sounds like fun. Like St. Luke's I can't absolutely promise regular participation, but I've read all the books before (some multiple times) and could certainly re-read quickly and contribute some to the discussion. I'm up for reading any of them, so I'll leave it to others to choose.

kasie
07-18-2009, 03:52 AM
Would love to read any Austen in company.

Joreads
07-18-2009, 07:02 AM

Lim I can not promise I will be around for all of them, I am back at Uni next week :p but I will join in when I can if that is OK. The three month time frame is actaully great for me gives me a month or more to read a book. I am sure they will be better than my accounting ones :eek:

Zee.
07-18-2009, 07:42 AM
That's fine jo, anyone can join at any time, you also don't have to read ALL of the books if at some point you can't find time for one.

Also, contribution to discussion can be as little as you like :)

kiki1982
07-18-2009, 08:40 AM
I'll be up for it. I'll have a look regularly.

In the past year I have read P&P, Sense and Sensibility, Persuasion and now I am reading Emma.

I read very thoroughly, so I rarely have to reread. But I'll participate in the discussion... I was planning to finish Austen's list off anyway. A little discussion on them would be great.

I would recommend starting with P&P as that was her first, although not first published. Sense and Sensibility I found quite tedious in comparison to P&P. Het style gets a little of getting used to in that sense. P&P is simple and short. For anyone in this thread who is not an Austen fan who has read all, it might be a better starter than S&S or Persuasion.

prendrelemick
07-18-2009, 08:52 AM
I thought Northanger Abbey (My fave) was her first written though not published work.

kiki1982
07-18-2009, 09:32 AM
P&P was first started in 179something when Austen was still very young. NorthangerAbbey is much later. At least according to Penguin Classics.

prendrelemick
07-18-2009, 09:39 AM
I stand corrected. but there was much overlapping. P&P was written by 1797 as "First Impressions" then revised several times until published in 1813. NA was finished by 1803, and published after her death.

JBI
07-18-2009, 12:35 PM
P&P was first started in 179something when Austen was still very young. NorthangerAbbey is much later. At least according to Penguin Classics.

Northanger Abbey was written first, and stood unpublished for a while, before being returned as a manuscript, and then published posthumously. The actual bibliography is quite difficult to interpret as she seems to write all over the place, but from my understanding.

Northanger Abbey
Sense and Sensibility
Pride and Prejudice
Mansfield Park
Emma
Persuasion

Nightshade
07-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Umm Northanger Abbey couldnt have been written until after 1801 on account of the fact she mentions Belinda that wasnt published till that year.

JBI
07-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Umm Northanger Abbey couldnt have been written until after 1801 on account of the fact she mentions Belinda that wasnt published till that year.

I can't remember if it does or not - I know it mentions Udolpho quite often, but, Wiki says 97-98, and going for publication (unsuccessfully) in 1803, then being published posthumously. Could you dig up the Belinda reference?

prendrelemick
07-18-2009, 05:04 PM
It was sold to a publisher in 1803 and remained there unpublished for six years after which it was returned.
Pride and Predjudice was submitted to a publisher in 1797 as "First Impressions" and rejected. She then spent many years revising it until it was published in 1813.

Northanger feels like her earliest work though, it is the least sophisticated.

prendrelemick
07-18-2009, 05:17 PM
The Belinda Quote is at the end of chapter 5. in her defence of The Novel.

Nightshade
07-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks prenderlmick. I seem to rember reading that she wrote LAdy S when she was 17. But it was publish postomeusly as part of her memoirs originally I think.

Zee.
07-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Persuasion seems to be the one we'll be reading :)

I'll compile the order of which we'll be reading the others in once the poll closes.

*Classic*Charm*
07-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Makes no difference to me what we read first, but I'm in! :)

Zee.
07-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Yeah you better be

Mathor
07-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Yeah and as soon as the poll closes you should make a thread for Persuasion so we can write our impressions, etc as we read. (Assuming that that is the winner, obviously.)

Zee.
07-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Once the poll closes i'll create a thread about whatever book is chosen and link it back to this thread for new comers. Both this thread and the following thread will have a list of the others we will gradually read.

*Classic*Charm*
07-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah you better be

Yes, Madam! **salutes**

Zee.
07-19-2009, 02:55 AM
I want to do Sense and Sensibility first!!!!!!!

Niamh
07-19-2009, 05:19 AM
can always read that second Lima. :)

Zee.
07-19-2009, 05:41 AM
Course we can :)

Virgil
07-19-2009, 09:26 AM
You guys don't have to accomodate me. You don't have to read Persuasion first. It was just part of the book club earlier this year, and because I'm behind it's only now next on my reading list. I will read persuasion, but you guys can read something else if you want.

Niamh
07-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Its winning anyway, and as i didnt really get to participate in the bookclub i'll do it here. Personally, I'd rather save it till last. it is the best after all ;)

kilted exile
07-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Persuasion is the only one of her books I have made it past page 50 of.

Mathor
07-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Persuasion is the only one of her books I have made it past page 50 of.

Yeah, but after page 50 is where they all start to get good. :lol:

plainjane
07-19-2009, 04:55 PM
I'll join in on Persuasion too, I've only read P&P and S&S so far, and have the rest, and want to get to them. This will give me the push I need. :)

Zee.
07-19-2009, 05:02 PM
We'll read whatever comes first in the poll,

so probably Persuasion :)

Mathor
07-19-2009, 05:16 PM
We'll read whatever comes first in the poll,

so probably Persuasion :)

And S&S second, hopefully, i'm itchin to read that one as well.

wessexgirl
07-19-2009, 05:45 PM
I've started already, and read the first chapter of Persuasion, so I hope it's that one. I'm going to go to bed soon, and watch the film, (which was excellent) and immerse myself in Austen. Sweet dreams :).

Zee.
07-19-2009, 06:20 PM
I just finished off a couple of books, so i'll be starting Persuasion tonight.

I have a feeling that a few people, including myself, would like to do Sense & Sensibility second, as for the rest of the list - unless anyone has a preference to what order a certain book we read should be in, or any objection of my creating the list, the list will be put up tomorrow by yours truly ;)

Dark Muse
07-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Hehe yes I am waiting on Sense and Sensibility, but as to the rest, it does not really matter what order they are in for me.

*Classic*Charm*
07-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Is there a timeline for this LJ? When are we expected to have finished the book/ when do we start discussion?

Zee.
07-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Is there a timeline for this LJ? When are we expected to have finished the book/ when do we start discussion?

We've decided to allocate three months per book, so this "book club" will continue for quite a long time.

People are welcome to join at any time, or choose to not partake in reading one of the books etc,

Poll closes tomorrow, by then we will know which book we will be starting with, i'll construct the order of the rest of them once this is done and post a timeline of the other books in my OP.

A separate thread will be made for each book, when we get around to reading it.

As for discussion, it can start the moment we start reading.The reading and discussing of the first book will officially start tomorrow and within that three months, along with the reading of the book, people are welcome to discuss it. Some may choose to discuss it only when they finish the book, but it's up to you. Once the three months are up we move on to the next book, but yeah, i'll post a timeline tomorrow so people are clear about the dates. I'll also repost this message in the new thread i'll create, linking back to this thread

Zee.
07-20-2009, 08:07 AM
http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45750

Done.

The Walker
07-20-2009, 04:44 PM
I`m happy you opened it up for anyone to joint at any time. I wouldlove to join in but first i need to get the books! hehe (no books stores where i live :( ) So I `ll be join you as soon as I can :)

Virgil
07-20-2009, 08:52 PM
I`m happy you opened it up for anyone to joint at any time. I wouldlove to join in but first i need to get the books! hehe (no books stores where i live :( ) So I `ll be join you as soon as I can :)

walker, if you don't mind reading off a computer, they have electronic copies of the books: http://www.online-literature.com/austen/.

The Walker
07-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks Virgil! As you know I got the book. I cant wait to discuss S&S! :)

Mathor
08-22-2009, 12:01 AM
I just wish we were reading Sense and Sensibility a lot sooner :(

The Walker
08-22-2009, 01:11 AM
I know!! me too!

Snowqueen
09-11-2009, 01:53 PM
I`m happy you opened it up for anyone to joint at any time. I wouldlove to join in but first i need to get the books! hehe (no books stores where i live :( )

Its also difficult for me to read it online. I have to wait till you all come to Emma . :(

Virgil
09-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Ah, I got distracted while reading Persuasion after the first five chapters, but now I'm ready to restart. ;)

Snowqueen
09-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Luckily I have got the book now, so I am in.

Dark Muse
09-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Does anyone know when the S&S discussion is going to begin?

Mathor
09-14-2009, 03:06 PM
it officially begins October 22nd, but I'm going to be kind of anarchistic and begin reading October 1st.

Zee.
09-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Yeah, october the 22nd - unless the majority of you would prefer an earlier date?

Dark Muse
09-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Ok thank you

Zee.
09-15-2009, 04:42 AM
If everyone is ok with started the reading and discussing now - we can do that, let me know in this thread and ill change dates. I'm keen to read it too

Dark Muse
09-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Starting early would work good for me

Mathor
09-28-2009, 02:51 PM
let's start now!!!

Virgil
09-28-2009, 07:30 PM
I've been reading Persuasion. I'm really enjoying it. I'm about a third in, and I find Austen's prose to be exquisite. And while I'm not sure the story has the depth of Pride and Prjudice or Emma, her prose seems tops here.

Pollopicu
09-28-2009, 07:57 PM
I wish I would have found this thread earlier because I just started reading Pride and Prejudice.

Zee.
09-28-2009, 08:24 PM
sense and sensibility :)

http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?p=783136#post783136