PDA

View Full Version : Antigone;;Sophocles;;HELP please...

M(r)s.Ouch!
07-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Okay so i've read the play Antigone serveral times. i have an assignment on it. Im not asking for you to do it, i just need help. i cant really understand these quotes.
1. For zeus utterly abhors the boast of a proud toungue.
2. One World approved thy wisdom; another mine.
3. Woe is me, for the wretched blindness of my counsels.
im supposed to write and essay on camparing how one of these quotes relates to the theme of the play... but i dont really get the meaning of any of the quotes.

Help would be reaaaallly nice right now.
:]

3vyn
07-29-2009, 11:01 PM
I need help on the exact same thing he is working on. weird

RichardHresko
07-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Okay so i've read the play Antigone serveral times. i have an assignment on it. Im not asking for you to do it, i just need help. i cant really understand these quotes.
1. For zeus utterly abhors the boast of a proud toungue.
2. One World approved thy wisdom; another mine.
3. Woe is me, for the wretched blindness of my counsels.
im supposed to write and essay on camparing how one of these quotes relates to the theme of the play... but i dont really get the meaning of any of the quotes.

Help would be reaaaallly nice right now.
:]

First of all, there is MORE than one theme to the play. You should decide WHAT theme you want to choose to work with. One theme that would work with all of the above lines is that the human condition forces us to contradictory positions. We can not therefore sit content in our goodness or piety as though we know absolutely what 'right' is. The key to this is to realize that Antigone is related to the King and owes him loyalty not only because he is king, but also because he is kinsman.