PDA

View Full Version : Readin Guide for Homer's The Illiad

Amylian
07-01-2009, 03:28 AM
Hello there,
I am planning on reading The Illiad next and I am, somehow, feeling nervous for some reasons. Probably it would be so hard to read that I might throw it away and that is, I fear.

Well, is there any points I need to consider before reading or is there a website that provide a reading guide, not a study guide? I will be appreciative if someone guides me...

Regards,
Amylian...

David R
07-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Hello there,
I am planning on reading The Illiad next and I am, somehow, feeling nervous for some reasons. Probably it would be so hard to read that I might throw it away and that is, I fear.

Well, is there any points I need to consider before reading or is there a website that provide a reading guide, not a study guide? I will be appreciative if someone guides me...

Regards,
Amylian...

Hi Amylian,

I'm assuming you're talking about The Iliad in English translation here and that you haven't read its sequel, The Odyssey. Some points you might consider before reading the work is that there are constant repititions of epithets (white armed goddess) and practices (such as putting on armour or preparing a meal or sacrificing to the gods). These might seem a bit boring, especially when viewed as mnemonic devices for an oral epic but they are more than this, in my opinion: they mirror the everyday practices, rituals and religion we all go through to make up our day and we get the same satisfaction out of reading them as we do out of doing them, except, of course, putting on armour but this can parralelled by putting on clothes.

But remember to that the Iliad is about variation as much as repetition. The main theme is war and every single chapter highlights a different aspect or practice of war. There is also much variation and change in the behaviour of the gods and goddesses. In many ways they mirror the behavior of humans, often acting like a typical, large family. In fact, Homer can pretty much write what he pleases about them as before him there was no fixed pantheon of deities with an ethic or attribute assigned to each. It is worth remembering that Homer was the main source of religion for most Ancient Greeks who came after him.

Hope that was helpful and you enjoy reading The Iliad and The Odyssey. Maybe you could take a look at the Keats' poem, "On First Looking into Chapman's Homer" to get you in the mood, if you haven't already done so.

medusa_woman
07-03-2009, 12:23 PM
I would also recommend making a character map when you are reading. There are so many characters and I found myself getting confused -- and be specific -- don't just write the name -- include something useful -- especially their relationships to other people. You might also want to separate the Greeks and the Trojans. And read very slowly -- some books need to be read slow and, in my opinion, this is one of them.

Gilliatt Gurgle
07-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Amylian,
You wll need patience and endurance, but it is well worth the effort.
Brace yourself for the gory details of battle.
I agree with medusa_woman regarding an outline. I would alos suggest that you become familiar with the various terms used to identify the two groups, such as "Da'aans", an 'Ar'gives", etc., so you know who's who.
David mentions the repetitious epithets. My personal favorite is "Rose fingered dawn".

Once you have finished the Illiad, it is mandatory that you read the Odyssey.

Enjoy.
Gilliatt

David R
07-04-2009, 12:41 PM
I would also recommend making a character map when you are reading. There are so many characters and I found myself getting confused -- and be specific -- don't just write the name -- include something useful -- especially their relationships to other people. You might also want to separate the Greeks and the Trojans. And read very slowly -- some books need to be read slow and, in my opinion, this is one of them.

Yes, I agree with Medusa_woman about reading slowly. Don't read it like a Stephen King novel. Think about what you are reading -what is Homer saying about war (The Iliad) and what is he saying about civilisation (The Odyssey).

David R
07-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Amylian,
You wll need patience and endurance, but it is well worth the effort.
Brace yourself for the gory details of battle.
I agree with medusa_woman regarding an outline. I would alos suggest that you become familiar with the various terms used to identify the two groups, such as "Da'aans", an 'Ar'gives", etc., so you know who's who.
David mentions the repetitious epithets. My personal favorite is "Rose fingered dawn".

Once you have finished the Illiad, it is mandatory that you read the Odyssey.

Enjoy.
Gilliatt

Hi Gilliatt.

My favourite epithet is "wine dark sea".

Just thought I'd let you know.

David

Amylian
07-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Wow, thanks you guys. You really made up something special and now I am doing what you told me to.

Really, it takes me more than half an our to finish JUST one page. This had me realized how much of a slow reader I am. I mean 'translating' two words each line is a hard work, let alone the many characters included. But it is a wonderful experience to read such work and it is rambunctious fun...

Thanks again,
Amylian

Vladimir777
10-06-2009, 01:16 AM
I just finished the Iliad for the first time tonight. It was definitely worthwhile, and I, like you, took it very slowly. It took me about a month to finish--I don't read as often as others here do, but it would take me at least an hour per book I'd say. I didn't find it necessary to create a character map, although I did have a companion book to go with my Lattimore translation. But even without that I feel that it would have made sense. It is relatively straightfoward, at least in terms of plot intricacies, although you gotta love the extended-extended similes that seem to go on forever and the grandiose nature of heroic characters screaming monologues in the middle of battle. I found it pretty easy to get to know the main characters--Hektor and Odysseus and Menelaos and Priam, and the thousands of characters that are mentioned only a few times...no point in writing them down. I'd be interested to see what a character list for this would look like, however, especially if it included all the characters mentioned only in passing who were part of side stories.

My favorite parts were basically all of the human moments, especially the depictions of the peaceful life of Troy that had been so clearly shattered by this brutal conflict. It's pretty tragic that families were destroyed and people shattered like Priam and Andromache just because Paris took Helen off with him. Someday soon I'll have to read the Odyssey.

Vladimir777
10-06-2009, 01:16 AM
Ooo, also, Amylian, is that Silent Hill in your avatar?

jocky
10-06-2009, 01:41 AM
The good old days when Gods used to actively intervene. The one we have mostly got now threw away his mobile phone just after he watched The Life Of Brian. The main plot is war, but the Gods are thematically indespensable. Try King Rex and all the Greek plays and I think you will find tragedy and theology inseparable.