PDA

View Full Version : What does each character teach David Copperfield?

lexyt95
06-30-2009, 04:07 PM
I need to know what all the main characters teach david copperfield either directly or by example. :sick::crash::bawling:

glen922
07-02-2009, 10:59 PM
I think David is a slow learner, sometimes astoundingly so. He reports his observations and reactions to the personalities and behaviors of others, but often learns nothing and responds inappropriately. He learns who is good and who is not, who can be trusted and who can't. But in some important cases gets that wrong either entirely (Steerforth) or in degree (Heep) for a very long time.

He failed most severely and incredibly to learn or to perceive anything about Steerforth, which could have prevented a great deal of suffering by so many. On first meeting Steerforth David wound up handing over all the money he had to that young beast for a single feast. How could anyone not see through this pretty bully? What Steerforth did to Mr Mell was inexcusably cruel, and yet David was somehow able to quickly overlook it. Traddles got it - and unfortunately he paid for it at the time, but he got it. The first time David mentioned littly Em'ly to Steerforth we knew he (Steerforth) would steal her away (though I thought it would be from David - I didn't see the Ham thing coming, but that's another discussion). When Steerforth said that Ham was a chuckle-head David barely noticed and just went on loving him.

David did accurately judge Agnes, and appropriately trusted and learned from her. However he was a slow and reluctant to take her warning about Steerforth to heart, when there might still have been time to save Emily.

He did learn from Micawber about the importance living within one's means, both directly ("Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty ought and six, result misery") and by Micawbers living example. He also learned enough about Micawber to warn Traddles not to loan Micawber money - or his name.

David didn't learn anything about love for a long time. He was a complete fool. Dora was sweet but without substance, and was almost hard to like at all until she became ill. He began to see this mistake only when Annie Strong is clearing the air about her supposed infidelity and states that "there can be no disparity in marriage like unsuitability of mind and purpose," which finally strikes some dull chord with David, who then begins, reluctantly, to realize his own foolish choice. So there, yes, eventually, David did learn something - from Annie Strong. Even Dora, dying, fully understands it better than David at that time. But when that lesson did finally sink in David was able to achieve and understand the disciplined heart, and to fully love Agnes without great guilt - apparently.