PDA

View Full Version : What is Wilde's Best Work?

LitNetIsGreat
06-29-2009, 06:40 PM
What do you think is Oscar Wilde's best fictional work? I'm thinking in terms of the best work from a critical perspective, as opposed to purely from a favourite point of view, though I don't suppose it matters either way. I'm only going to include serious contenders so sorry if you think "Vera" is his best work.

Obviously it is going to be difficult to compare works written in different forms, but let's not be picky.

MarkBastable
06-29-2009, 06:51 PM
His life.

LitNetIsGreat
06-29-2009, 07:08 PM
His life.

Cool.;)

"I've put my talent into my work and my genius into my life" and all that.

LitNetIsGreat
07-02-2009, 10:04 AM
:bawling: Maaaa, nobody is voting...

PoeticPassions
07-02-2009, 10:29 AM
I did! I did! One of my favorite books is The Picture of Dorian Gray

LitNetIsGreat
07-02-2009, 04:35 PM
I did! I did! One of my favorite books is The Picture of Dorian Gray

Yeah! Yoo hoo, thank you. :bday_2:

Dr. Hill
07-02-2009, 04:37 PM
The Importance of Being Earnest is hilarious. Gets my vote.

MANICHAEAN
07-02-2009, 04:45 PM
The Ballard of Reading Jail.
I suspect that the reason that the ability to write good prose and good dialogue go hand in hand is simply that a good writer knows how to listen. At this nadir of his life, he listened to himself and expressed it in his inimatable manner.

eyemaker
07-02-2009, 10:09 PM
I voted for The Picture of Dorian Gray..I only read 2 of those list-Lady Windereme's fan is quite good as well. The Importance of Being Earnest appears to be in my Reading List next month:)

Wilde woman
03-18-2010, 03:29 AM
Sorry, I'm quite late to this poll. I had a hard time choosing between the novel and some of his top plays, but I ended going with the novel, since Neely asked us to think in of it from a critical perspective.

Though his collection of short stories and the Ballad have their own charms. I was also briefly tempted to vote for Salome, just for its shock factor. But I resisted.

BleaKDecembeR
01-23-2011, 04:51 PM
I would have to reply with his poems they just show soo much potential and creativity.

I love almost every poem this Legendary Man Made.

R.I.P Oscar Wilde

We All Love You.

myrrhina
04-03-2014, 12:40 AM
That's right. His poems are mostly underrated. I've even read somewhere that they were plagiarized from earlier poets. This was an accusation leveled also against Salome. But 'all art begins in imitation', and anyway I think what Oscar Wilde did was better than what his predecessors had done on the same themes.
There are also his translations of excerpts from Aeschylus and Euripides. They are the best translations I've come across.

myrrhina
04-03-2014, 12:45 AM
That's right. His poems are mostly underrated. I've even read somewhere that they were plagiarized from earlier poets. This was an accusation leveled also against Salome. But 'all art begins in imitation', and anyway I think what Oscar Wilde did was better than what his predecessors had done on the same themes.
There are also his translations of excerpts from Aeschylus and Euripides. They are the best translations I've come across.