PDA

View Full Version : The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

prendrelemick
06-17-2009, 08:03 AM
I appologise if this has already been done .

The Reader by Bernhard Schlink.

A well written and thought provoking book. We loved it at my Book Club where it provoked a lively and far reaching discussion.
There may be a few in the world who haven't read it or seen the film, so I will try not to include any spoilers.

The story is set in Germany after the war. Michael is a young man who has a passionate affair with Hanna, a much older woman. But Hanna has a secret that she feels she must keep at all costs. It is her primary concern, it keeps her aloof from society and seemingly detached from him. She disappears, and the next time he sees her she is in court, accused of war crimes. She cannot defend herself except by revealing to the world the shame of a deep personal secret that has blighted her life and brought her to where she is.

Michael's life is also blighted by their relationship and the revelations he has at the time of the trial.
He spends the following years in a kind of limbo, trying to make sense of it all.

That is the bare bones of the story, but its really an examination of the issues arising from the Holocaust. The theme is guilt. German guilt. Guilt of commission, guilt of omission, personal guilt, collective guilt, guilt of betrayal and guilt by association. Michael is of a new generation, how are they supposed to deal with the past, where their mothers, fathers, uncles and even lovers, were involved in such terrors?. How can they comprehend the incomprehensible, should they condemn or fall silent in shame? Is it their shame too ?

When Hanna asks the Judge, “What would you have done?.” It is not a rhetorical question, she genuinely wants to know. The success of this book is that it manages to explore that question without in any way mitigating the crimes committed by Germans during the war. Schlink presents the issues in a thoughtfull and low key way as he weaves them into a very readable story.

jinjang
06-18-2009, 12:35 AM
A great review! I have not read the book, but I will definitely put it to my list.

How can they comprehend the incomprehensible, should they condemn or fall silent in shame? Is it their shame too ?

May I venture to respond to this question without knowing the full content of the book?

I do not think it is their shame if they did not take part in it, but they should certainly condemn it so as not to repeat the horrible past. Our imagination goes far enough to comprehend the horror and mistakes. I believe Germany condemned the whole history well enough; offered her sincere apology; and compensated the victims as best as she could. How each individual's action and shame should be dealt with is another question to ponder case by case. It certainly is something one can not face at ease. I will have to read the book then.

The Comedian
06-18-2009, 08:56 AM
Good review prendrelemick. I haven't seen the film or read the book, but the work seems interesting. I'll have to add it to my ever-expanding list of books to read.

Kafka's Crow
10-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Just finished watching the movie, read the book last week. Excellent book but an extraordinary movie. In my experience, after Zhivago (2003 version, haven't seen Omar Sharif's Zhivago from the 60s) this is the only movie based on a novel, a good novel, which is even better than the book itself. Read the book and then watch the movie, you will fall in love with Ralph Fiennes and Kate Winslet, specially if you have known her by only her posters and pictures from Titanic like I have (not a movie person, strictly speaking).

Eryk
10-11-2009, 08:55 PM
I saw the movie and downloaded the novel the next day. I couldn't stop thinking about the questions it raises, responding emotionally to the characters. A great novel haunts you.

The moment when Hanna looks down at the pad of paper, and the viewer, grasping her secret, is moved to sympathy--Schlink wanted us to understand what it was like to love someone who did bad things.

I wish the movie had made the point that Hanna read survivor literature in prison. Anyway, the movie and the novel complement each other wonderfully. It's a richer story that way.

Helga
10-12-2009, 06:08 PM
I really liked the book, haven't seen the movie but I want too. the book raises some interesting questions and thoughts. the characters are really interesting and realistic and good... very good book