PDA

View Full Version : In Cold Blood ~ Truman Capote

motherhubbard
06-16-2009, 08:39 AM
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

I've had this book on the shelf for some time. This is not a genera that I normally read, but I had two main reasons for reading. First of all I love southern writers. Secondly because of the lasting impact this crime has had on rural areas in the Midwest. This is said to be Capote's best work, and I was not disappointed.

In Cold Blood is the author's attempt at writing a “nonfiction novel” that combines journalism with fiction to tell the gruesome tale of Clutter murders that occurred in small town Kansas in 1959. Capote spent a great deal of time in the community and with the people involved researching for this novel. The story is told in four parts that were originally a series appearing in the New Yorker. The stories of each individual involved unfolds revealing their character and history. The reader is not spared any details of the crime, it's planning, or it's aftermath. This story is surprisingly suspenseful even though the crime is well known. The story is so complete that every end is tied before the story is finished.

This was a gripping read. Each character becomes so familiar that one can't help but mourn their circumstance. I ran the gamut of emotions during this story and was unable to put the book down until it was finished.

8.5/10 :thumbs_up.

Virgil
06-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Don't forget, I believe this is the first time anyone combined fiction with news story to create a whole new genre. It has been done since by many, but this is the first and probably still the best. It's been decades since I read the novel but the character and insight and their personally tragic fates combined with their free will makes for profound understanding of life. Since I haven't recently read it I can't honestly say I would give it a 10/10 but it's on that level of a work.

Scheherazade
06-19-2009, 07:36 PM
This was a gripping read. Each character becomes so familiar that one can't help but mourn their circumstance. I ran the gamut of emotions during this story and was unable to put the book down until it was finished. What she's said! :D

I have always enjoyed reading Capote's works and this one did not disappoint either.

8/10 Kitkats!