PDA

View Full Version : What would be the point?

mea505
06-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Many of those whom have already read my most recent thread concerning re-reading and re-evaluating the book, The Brothers Karamazov are probably thinking, well, what is the point? I would like to take the time to address such a response.

Each time a book is re-read, new ideas most likely come forth; moreover, there will probably be new readers who would want to read the book for the first time, rather than merely read what others have already said about the book. These new and fresh ideas are valuable, and, in fact, I find it very useful at times to go back and re-read a book, especially one of this caliber because of this very reason.

I would therefore like to entertain the possibility of approaching this book with that in mind: bringing forth new readers, new ideas, new interpretations regarding, perhaps, one of the most important authors who ever lived. So, consider this when responding to my post. I would like to initiate a new discussion about the book, The Brothers Karamazov with the idea of doing just that: allowing others to chime in, perhaps, even when they have read the book for the first time.

Thanks.

Mark:yawnb:

Psynema
06-13-2009, 06:35 PM
I'd reread it, but I just got done my first reading...so exhausted...I'm into The Idiot as of right now.

But, hopefully I don't sound mean, I love this forum, but it's a shame you can only get a handful of replies, sparsed out by a few months at times, for a particular author and book. Obviously there's countless books/authors, so that's understandable, but at times, seeing how many authors are listed, sometimes I wonder if it would be better to have a more specific forum, such as only Dostoesvky, only Russian Lit, only existentialism etc...of course most people branch out, but on the other hand some stay within a certain range IMO.

I'll have to google if there's such specific lit forums LOL.

mea505
06-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Well, if you have already read the one book, "The Brothers Karamazov," I would certainly entertain the possibility of 'opening yet another' discussion of "The Idiot," although I do realize that it's already been done. But, then again, new ideas always seem to present themselves. Let me know.

Mark

Lady Marian
06-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Then I'm glad I came across this discussion! I'm partway through the book right now, so perhaps I really shouldn't voice an opinion, but I find Dostoevsky's way of narrating Alyosha's internal conflict quite brilliant.

It's quite easy to understand that Alyosha's natural angelic instincts are at odds with his degenerate family background, but Dostoevsky has a way of narrating it that doesn't make it seem bland or obvious at all.

I've only got up to Zossima's death, but I'm really enjoying this book. :)

mea505
06-22-2009, 03:28 PM
I am under the assumption, therefore, that we are discussing "The Brother's Karamazov." Give me a chance to catch up with the group! I will begin to post some good, thought-provoking "stuff."
:lol:

SFG75
08-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Books by Dostoyevsky just can't be flown through, I definitely agree. I re-read it a second time and I have to say that I got a lot more out of it the second time, beyond the typical murder and character development stories. I appreciated the historical and theological issues brought up throughout the events of the book more and gained a greater appreciation of the book in that regard. I am inclined to believe that undertaking a reading of this book should only be done when you have ample time to take it in and aren't pressed with "real life" things to do.This is a great book for summer time reading or if you have some time off of work. :reddevil:

Knaan
01-10-2011, 12:42 AM
I am about a third through with the Brothers Karamazov at the moment I can already tell that I well need to reread it.