PDA

View Full Version : The Brothers Karamazov

mea505
06-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Although I have already read the book, I am enticed to read it again, and would like to initiate a "new" discussion about it (I am not interested in reading an old discussion, as new ideas seem to come up as new members chime in). Anyone interested in starting such a new discussion about this marvelous book?

In reading and reviewing this book, I want to discuss each and every chapter as we read it, to be sure that everything is totally absorbed and understood. Any takers?

bazarov
06-20-2009, 03:48 AM
I won't read but I will try to participate.

Gilliatt Gurgle
06-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Good timing on your thread, since I too am just beginning to read the novel. I found a Constance Garnett translation published by “The Modern Library” and I am currently at Book II; Part 6 “Why is Such a Man Alive?” At this time I am plodding along getting familiar with the characters, creating a vocabulary and phrase list.

Which leads me to my first request; would someone please translate the French phrase: “J’ai vu l’ombre d’un cocher qui avec l’ombre d’une brosse frottait l’ombre d’une carosse?”

I’m sure I could run it through some form of online translator, but why not put the Forums to work?

Thanks,
Gilliatt

jinjang
06-20-2009, 02:47 PM
“J’ai vu l’ombre d’un cocher qui avec l’ombre d’une brosse frottait l’ombre d’une carosse?”

I saw the shadow of a coachman who, with the shadow of a brush, was rubbing the shadow of a carriage.

A lot of shadow here! Very shadowy character? I hope this helps.

The word "carrosse" in French is a fancy carriage.

Gilliatt Gurgle
06-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Thank you JinJang.
Gilliatt

mea505
06-22-2009, 03:25 PM
I didn't realize that you were that far advanced in the novel! All I can do now is try to catch up to where you are now. Give me some time, however, and I will get there. I think I have the same translation.

Mark

mea505
06-22-2009, 03:31 PM
bazarov: Thank you for chiming in! There is no need for you to re-read the novel, as you say. I want to thank you for agreeing to at least participate in the discussion(s)!

Mark
:yawnb:

BookMarkMe
07-15-2009, 04:00 PM
I don't know how far people have moved in since last month, I'm just about to start Part 2 of this my first Dostoyevsky novel

Mathor
07-16-2009, 02:38 PM
I am re-reading the novel today! I will post here as I find things worth discussing. It's nice to seem some Dostoevsky interest in the forum! I hope I will not let you down, and will provide book-by-book thoughts and analysis! I can't wait to discuss with you guys!

islandclimber
07-21-2009, 02:55 AM
oooohhh a Dostoevsky discussion on litnet!!! I'm in, as this never seems to happen regardless of the professed high opinion of Dostoevsky by almost everyone... I just finished TBK for the 4th time the other day.. so anytime anyone wants to begin, I'm game.. :)

adwara1
07-21-2009, 03:19 AM
The female characters, Katerina Ivanovna and Grushenka seemed to me as very fickle minded when it comes to there love life. Was it too obvious in the novel or is it just me ?

Gilliatt Gurgle
07-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Mea505, if you are still out there and still reading TBK I just wanted to let you know that I am still chinking my way through the novel. I periodically check in on your thread from time to time. In the interim since my last posting, I briefly researched the Constance Garnett translation, which happened to be the translation I picked up at Half Price Books, and noticed that there was mostly criticism for her translation. Believe me, I am by no means a literary scholar and would most likely not pick up on the differences between hers and other translations, but I was swayed none the less and ordered the Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky translation.
Currently I am lingering in Book IV; Chapter 7.
Gilliatt

The female characters, Katerina Ivanovna and Grushenka seemed to me as very fickle minded when it comes to there love life. Was it too obvious in the novel or is it just me ?

As of Book IV; Chapter 7, I would tend to agree certianly as it pertains to Katerina. Grushenka's character is still somewhat vague and mysterious to me. I plan to pause for a moment to revisit Grushenkas character line.

blazeofglory
10-28-2009, 01:32 AM
I want to revive this thread. I am now reading the book and a few chapters got finished and now. The book is really moving and I am simply flabbergasted reading some of the dialogues and the depths Dostoevsky measured. I am a hungry reader of books and I read all kinds of books, philosophy, theology, logics, literature and the like. Having gone through the books of Dostoevsky, now I am into the Brothers Karamazov I am taken aback by the fact that in this book I found so many answers I have been seeking in my entire life, all in one piece amalgamated in a manner nowhere can I find art and content both so combined profoundly. In fact when we have ideas we want to share it and this is our innate desire and here I may raise so many questions one after another notwithstanding the fact that I have already entered this topic somewhere under a different title.

Brad Coelho
11-25-2009, 11:09 AM
I am teeing up the book as I type. I'll chime in regularly w/ my thoughts as I progress. To say that I'm looking forward to diving into the Dostoevsky pool would be a gross understatement. What other impresssions have you guys come across along the way? Any other reactions?

Brad Coelho
12-27-2009, 11:32 AM
I didn't know what a theologist Dostoevsky was until ingesting BK. I particularly enjoy his juxtaposition of blatant irreverence w/ hallowed virture (typified by the meeting of Karamazov and the elder). His attention to character detail by rationalizing and justifying each action or inaction provides such rich depth to the brothers, making them arguably more 3 dimensional than most any other literary figures. He and Joyce delve into the mind so deeply that it enables them to cover such extensive ground while so little activity plays on in the background. Perhaps this is what makes them so difficult to put on screen (save for heavy handed voice over-narration). I feel guilty for doing this, but I cracked Crime & Punishment during my read of BK & I found it immediately engrossing, while the foundation of BK was much more methodical....Dostoevsky is a gateway drug onto himself.

Dinkleberry2010
12-27-2009, 12:44 PM
I read the book for the second time about five years ago, and I'm afraid that any comments I would or could contribute would be hazy to say the least, but I will listen to and read this thread with avid interest.

nikolabc
06-15-2010, 03:25 PM
I saw the shadow of a coachman who, with the shadow of a brush, was rubbing the shadow of a carriage.

A lot of shadow here! Very shadowy character? I hope this helps.

The word "carrosse" in French is a fancy carriage.

Karamazov is babbling about a Frenchman's description of hell, does anyone know who he is referring to? Voltaire?