PDA

View Full Version : Which book would you turn into a movie?

TurquoiseSunset
06-09-2009, 03:30 AM
I know there's a thread here about which books should not have been turned into movies, so I wondered...which books would you then turn into movies instead? Or maybe, which movies (based on books) need better versions?

La Amistad
06-09-2009, 03:37 AM
Can it be a book from other language then English?

if so.

I would turn a Urdu book, translated to "Home becomes Abroad" into a movie, it's about a guy, who goes into a journey, to England during the 50s after the second world war, from his native land, and how he sees life there.

TurquoiseSunset
06-09-2009, 03:43 AM
Sure, other languages are more than welcome! A lot of people on these forums have other first languages :)

I am Afrikaans...but I won't be making any imaginary Afrikaans movies soon though :D

La Amistad
06-09-2009, 03:57 AM
Haha nice! When I see imagery and sound in English I see it very different to what I see it in something that would be in my first language (urdu that is), it's not just the way of speaking, it's the whole atmosphere thing, and it's strange too, even though it's supposivley my first lango. It's more of a feeling I guess.

Would you have same in Afrikaans, if you would imagine?

TurquoiseSunset
06-09-2009, 04:39 AM
Well it is different in my language, but for a few reasons.

1) They're not made the same, so the overall look is usually different. American movies have a slighty 'hazy' look.
2) The budgets are ridiculously small.
3) They only make a few types of movies in Afrikaans. Drama, Art, Comedy are the favourites.

But if I think about it I recently saw a pretty decent Afrikaans comedy. Overall though, I think the biggest issue is budget. The comedy for example was funded by some of the actors as well. It paid off for them, but it's never a sure thing...

Niamh
06-09-2009, 06:08 AM
Neil Gaimans Graveyard Book. I even know which Graveyard i'd use or use as the inspiration for a set.

Lokasenna
06-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Hmm. reminds me of a slightly barmy conversation I had with some friends the other day. We'd talked about this, and came up with the idea of making a film adaptation of the dictionary, a la post-modern, self-important, artsy nonsense. I seem to remember that 'piety' was going to be the hero, it would be in black and white with no sound, and every scene would have Dr. Johnson pirouetting slowly in the background.

We were quite drunk at the time...

TurquoiseSunset
06-09-2009, 09:32 AM
LOL! :lol:

Yes, I'm not so sure it will be a box office hit :D

Emil Miller
06-15-2009, 04:16 PM
I would chose my second novel, which has yet to be published, The Fateful Circle. It concerns a man who murders his wife and through an ingenious alibi escapes conviction. His troubles really begin when he starts to be haunted by an unknown woman and have a frightening nightmare connected with his wife's murder. He flees abroad to escape the mysterious woman and remarries only to find himself enmeshed in what appear to be an incredible series of coincidences relating to his murdered wife but which are all explained before his bizare death at the end of the novel.

TurquoiseSunset
06-17-2009, 02:06 AM
The Fateful Circle sounds like a book I'd like to read! Good luck with it Brian!

Emil Miller
06-17-2009, 07:06 PM
The Fateful Circle sounds like a book I'd like to read! Good luck with it Brian!

Thanks. I am currently engaged in writing my third novel, set in the world of publishing. I have been able to use certain characteristics of members of this forum in some of the dramatis personae, the problem is that I am spending too much time on the forum and not enough on the book.

TurquoiseSunset
06-18-2009, 03:09 AM
the problem is that I am spending too much time on the forum and not enough on the book

Using forum members as inspiration is a good idea then ;)

But I know what you mean; these forums are very addictive. Half an hour becomes an hour, and that becomes two hours. The other night I started on The Great Gatsby (re-read) and I read something that I wanted to know more about. There I am, on Wikipedia, Google, and the forums, and before you know it it's 23:30. So I basically read three pages...sigh...

Emil Miller
06-20-2009, 08:26 AM
Using forum members as inspiration is a good idea then ;)

But I know what you mean; these forums are very addictive. Half an hour becomes an hour, and that becomes two hours. The other night I started on The Great Gatsby (re-read) and I read something that I wanted to know more about. There I am, on Wikipedia, Google, and the forums, and before you know it it's 23:30. So I basically read three pages...sigh...

This forum alone has a whole stack of posts relating to The Great Gatsby so you could spend hours on that one subject alone. Having read the book a half dozen times myself, I am still interested to read the comments of others that regularly appear here.

LitNetIsGreat
06-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Probably The Picture of Dorian Gray, with Jude Law perhaps playing Dorian. I think it would be an incredible film if done right, though of course it wouldn't be.

Mr Endon
06-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Neely: it's actually been done already. The cover alone, however, left me wondering whether they should have gone through the trouble. I think it's one of those that is very easy to do terribly.

grace86
06-26-2009, 07:58 PM
You know, in visiting the Friends of the Library, I happened to find some vhs tapes and bought Scaramouche, Wuthering Heights and Madame Bovary. Loved how the 1939 version of Wuthering Heights portrayed the book. But you know, I realized that from watching Madame Bovary last night....that I am not interested in reading the novel. It was nauseating...but it's just my opinion.

I'm sure a lot of the classics have been done already. It'd be cool for Shadow of the Wind to be made a movie. Again...if it's done right.

King Mob
07-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday. I can't believe there isn't a film version yet, being a novel that's so cinematographic.

Tyth
07-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Something by Harry Harrison (Bill, the Galactic Hero or The Stainless Steel Rat Series ) would be nice and hilarious.

Delta40
07-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Jeanette Winterson's

Lighthouse Keeping

Barbarous
07-04-2009, 01:22 PM
definitely Petersberg by Andrei Bely, especially if they took the description literally, it'd play out to be a perfectly symbolic movie.

AuntShecky
07-04-2009, 02:31 PM
a la every scene would have Dr. Johnson pirouetting slowly in the background.

Why not a film bio of Dr. Johnson himself? It would be a tour de force for an actor, someone like Stephen Fry or Robbie Coltrane who was in all those Harry Potter movies, or a good American actor by the name of Oliver Platt.

Another book which I can't believe hasn't been made into a movie is The Confidence Man by Herman Melville. Maybe the character and philosophy are too complex for insufficiently-educated American audiences with our fickle and short attention spans.

Last night I was reading some John Cheever stories and the first one in his Collected Stories-- "Goodbye My Brother" would make a perfect film by a director such as Ang Lee.

{Note to producers out there: if you should use any of the ideas from this LitNet thread, it would behoove you to make sure the LitNetters get a cut -- of the gross, not the net profit.}