PDA

View Full Version : Favourite silent movies

Mr Endon
06-07-2009, 06:56 PM
No talk about these! How now!

My latest discovery is 'Sherlock Jr', a marvellous introduction to Buster Keaton. Among my all-time favourites are
- 'Nosferatu': terrific horror flick, there's never been a scarier Dracula than Schreck;
- 'The Battleship Potemkin': pure Russian propaganda, of course, but a surprisingly good film, gripping from beginning to end;
- 'Modern Times': no one beats Chaplin. Period.

Now I want to hear from you. Which are your favourite silent movies? And why?

Gustavo L.
06-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Surrealist movie The fall of the House of Usher (directed by Jean Epstein) is my favorite. I love the way the film blends Usher's story with Poe's Oval Portrait. Photography is great too -- haunting, strange and never overcrowded with detail.

Canadian director Guy Maddin made some interesting modern silent movies like "Dracula: pages from a virgin's diary" and "The heart of the world". The last one can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4JmeXXRmZg

I like the fake retro style of this one. As a guy said in the comments, "If someone didn't tell me this was made in 2000, I'd swear it was made in the 20s".

Niamh
06-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Nosferatu and Battleship Potempkin are both amazing films.

Eryk
06-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Great topic :)

Napoleon - Abel Gance, dir.

The Gold Rush - Chaplin

LadyWentworth
06-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Well, my number one of all-time is King Vidor's "The Big Parade". It is one of those few films that I consider to be perfect in every way.

In fact, I wrote a blog entry on my list of favorite silent films. :) http://www.online-literature.com/forums/blog.php?b=8137 I go on about "The Big Parade" in it. :)

Also, I am an obsessed Harold Lloyd fan. :D

Emil Miller
06-08-2009, 02:36 PM
This really is an interesting thread
I haven't seen many silent films but having had a past interest in the cinema I know that quite a lot of the effects in silent films surpass the kind of computerised effects used in films of today in that he are closer to reality.
I gave up on the cinema years ago when the word BLOCKBUSTER ( A publicity agent's dream ) became the staple description of films generally.
However, as a former member of the Nationl Film Theatre , I was able to see what remains of Greed, the silent film production of one of my favourite novels McTeague by Frank Norris. The original film lasted for over 10 hours because Erich von Stroheim directed it exactly as the book was written and almost bankrupted the studio as a result. Later a number of reels were destroyed and the basic story line crammed into a more managable two and a half hours. It remains one of my favourite silent films along with Battleship Potemkin and All quiet on the Western Front.

Mark F.
06-09-2009, 05:43 AM
top ten, one film per director.

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927) F. W. Murnau
Strike (1925) S. M. Eisenstein
The Cameraman (1928) E. Sedgwick & Buster Keaton
Metropolis (1927) F. Lang
Pandora's Box (1929) G. W. Pabst
L'Age d'or (1930) Luis Bunuel
The Gold Rush (1925) C. Chaplin
Cowards Bend the Knee (2003) G. Maddin
Intolerance (1916) D. W. Griffith
A Story of Floating Weeds (1934) Yasujiro Ozu

However, as a former member of the Nationl Film Theatre , I was able to see what remains of Greed, the silent film production of one of my favourite novels McTeague by Frank Norris. The original film lasted for over 10 hours because Erich von Stroheim directed it exactly as the book was written and almost bankrupted the studio as a result. Later a number of reels were destroyed and the basic story line crammed into a more managable two and a half hours. It remains one of my favourite silent films along with Battleship Potemkin and All quiet on the Western Front.
There's a four hour version available now, you should manage to find a torrent. I haven't seen it yet but it looks great.

- 'Nosferatu': terrific horror flick, there's never been a scarier Dracula than Schreck;

Have you seen the Werner Herzog remake with Klaus Kinski as Dracula?

Scheherazade
06-09-2009, 05:47 AM
Silent Movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075222/)

Mr Endon
06-09-2009, 07:40 AM
(don't you find it frustrating to have to write a lenghty post twice? come on, I have things to do!)

Thanks for sharing, everyone! Will try and track down your recommendations. Keep 'em coming! The Internet Archive (http://www.archive.org/index.php) has all the ones I mentioned, plus 'Intolerance' and 'Gold Rush'. As for the others, will try my luck at the local library.

Brian, 'Greed' seems to be quite the ambitious enterprise. Alas, my time constraints and attention span don't allow me to watch a 10-hour movie, if I can I'll give the 4-hour version a go though.

Like the idea of anachronistic silent films, Scheherazade and Gustavo, they're now on my list as well.

Mark F., that's a great list you compiled there. From it I've only seen 'Gold Rush' and 'Metropolis' (which I own; by the way, have you seen Metropolis's newly-discovered bit of film?), but half of it was already on my 100-movies-to-watch-this-year list. I guess I'll have to add the others.

And I've only seen excerpts of Herzog's 'Nosferatu'. Kinski was fantastic in 'Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes', and I'm sure he did a great take on Dracula, but it's very hard to top Schreck's rodent Otherness!

Keaton craze right now, will be moving on to Murnau after that. Anyone seen 'Frau im Mond' (Woman in the Moon)? Apparently that's where the NASA countdown comes from. I've been told it's excellent by very reliable sources, but find the running time a bit daunting, considering the free time I'll have this week. Care to give me a push?

Scheherazade
06-09-2009, 07:44 AM
Like the idea of anachronistic silent films, Scheherazade and Gustavo, they're now on my list as well.No idea what you have just said but give it a try, anyway!

:p

amarna
06-09-2009, 07:54 AM
My favourite silent movie is Urban Symphony from 1927. Here (http://www.archive.org/details/BerlinSymphonyofaGreatCity) it is.

Mark F.
06-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Mark F., that's a great list you compiled there. From it I've only seen 'Gold Rush' and 'Metropolis' (which I own; by the way, have you seen Metropolis's newly-discovered bit of film?), but half of it was already on my 100-movies-to-watch-this-year list. I guess I'll have to add the others.

And I've only seen excerpts of Herzog's 'Nosferatu'. Kinski was fantastic in 'Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes', and I'm sure he did a great take on Dracula, but it's very hard to top Schreck's rodent Otherness!

Keaton craze right now, will be moving on to Murnau after that. Anyone seen 'Frau im Mond' (Woman in the Moon)? Apparently that's where the NASA countdown comes from. I've been told it's excellent by very reliable sources, but find the running time a bit daunting, considering the free time I'll have this week. Care to give me a push?

I haven't seen the new footage. Can you find it on the net somewhere?

The Herzog version of Nosferatu is pretty good (like anything by Herzog, obviously). The first half is very similar to Murnau's film, but the second part differs and makes it very interesting.

I haven't seen Woman in the Moon but I've seen longer Fritz Lang silent films like Dr Mabuse : The Gambler and The Nibelungen. Both are excellent.

Mr Endon
06-09-2009, 08:57 AM
Haha, I meant that the idea of an out-of-time silent movie is very appealing. Don't worry, Scher, I'll definitely check it out - turns out my library, surprisingly, has a copy.

amarna, thanks for the link, it's been added to my list. An ode to my favourite city is sure to sound like music to my ears!

Mark, unfortunately I can't find it. Maybe there's a (coftorrentcof) with it, but I'm not even sure it's out yet. And I have quite a few Murnau items in my list but not those, thanks for the suggestions.

Emil Miller
06-09-2009, 10:30 AM
My favourite silent movie is Urban Symphony from 1927. Here (http://www.archive.org/details/BerlinSymphonyofaGreatCity) it is.

Thanks for 'Berlin Symphony of a Great City', I have often read about it and it is a truly remarkable film which renders words entirely superfluos even though it is more akin to poetry than music. Visually, it is as stunning as Riefenstahl's 'Triumph of the Will' which it pre-dates by eight years.

Scheherazade
06-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Haha, I meant that the idea of an out-of-time silent movie is very appealing. Don't worry, Scher, I'll definitely check it out - turns out my library, surprisingly, has a copy.I am sorry; that was supposed to be funny. I knew what you meant.

As for the movie, it is funny... Though may not exactly be what you are looking for.

Mr Endon
06-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Ha, the joke's on me then! That's what happens when I forget to switch the irony radar on before logging in.

I've read the synopsis and a review and looks like something I'd enjoy. Apparently a parody/tribute to the likes of Chaplin and Keaton, and that's enough to sell it :)

Rolls_Rave
06-09-2009, 01:42 PM
I have seen many silent movies of Charly Chaplin, The Count Of Monte Christo and an Austrian silent movie "Der Rosenkavalier".

Mark F.
06-10-2009, 06:41 AM
What do you like about silent film? I love the rhythm, it's very different compared to later films and it has an almost hypnotic effect upon me. I also enjoy the more experimental aspect of silent film, it's as if those directors dared to push their art in new and unknown directions, something that has pretty much disappeared today.

Emil Miller
06-10-2009, 07:51 AM
What do you like about silent film? I love the rhythm, it's very different compared to later films and it has an almost hypnotic effect upon me. I also enjoy the more experimental aspect of silent film, it's as if those directors dared to push their art in new and unknown directions, something that has pretty much disappeared today.

I agree. The film makers of today are pygmies in comparison with the people who founded the industry. This is most clearly highlighted in Kevin Brownlow's book 'The Parades's Gone By'. Brownlow, a world authority on the cinema, has produced a brilliant book with a huge number of photos showing just how great the pioneers were. As a book about the silent cinema it is an absolute must for anyone interested in the silent era. Some of the set designs are just stupendous.

A critique of the book is given below:

A treasure trove of early cinema lore ...full of rich detail and surprise nuggets the author dug up and displays eloquently. I couldn't put it down and have re-read it twice.
It seems like all films made since the original greats haven't surpassed them in technique or drama, just technical sophistication. The basics still work. Black & white surpasses computer generated thrills and supersaturated tricky color.
It changed the way I've watched all films since.
I've recommended it to every film student since I read it. It should be in any cinema lovers library. A classic.

Fen
06-10-2009, 04:29 PM
City Lights by Chaplin the jokes and stunts were so simple unbelievably simple compared to all the build up and dramatics put into these things in TV and movies. I was shocked by their simplicity and even more shocked at how incredibly funny I found them.

Mark F.
06-10-2009, 06:08 PM
I agree. The film makers of today are pygmies in comparison with the people who founded the industry. This is most clearly highlighted in Kevin Brownlow's book 'The Parades's Gone By'. Brownlow, a world authority on the cinema, has produced a brilliant book with a huge number of photos showing just how great the pioneers were. As a book about the silent cinema it is an absolute must for anyone interested in the silent era. Some of the set designs are just stupendous.

A critique of the book is given below:

A treasure trove of early cinema lore ...full of rich detail and surprise nuggets the author dug up and displays eloquently. I couldn't put it down and have re-read it twice.
It seems like all films made since the original greats haven't surpassed them in technique or drama, just technical sophistication. The basics still work. Black & white surpasses computer generated thrills and supersaturated tricky color.
It changed the way I've watched all films since.
I've recommended it to every film student since I read it. It should be in any cinema lovers library. A classic.

That book sounds interesting. Thanks for the recommendation, I'm going to try and get it.

manolia
06-11-2009, 06:35 AM
- 'The Battleship Potemkin': pure Russian propaganda, of course, but a surprisingly good film, gripping from beginning to end;
- 'Modern Times': no one beats Chaplin. Period.

Have you seen the Werner Herzog remake with Klaus Kinski as Dracula?

Agreed (and the W Herzog movie is great :D).

I'll only add "das kabinett des Dr Kaligari" and the one you've showed me on youtube a while ago..ermmm "un chien andalou" (?)

Mr Endon
06-11-2009, 06:55 AM
:) the Caligari film was actually the first silent film I saw (as an 'adult', that is; I had seen almost all the Chaplin films over and over again by the time I was 10), so I'll always treasure it too.

I've found the 'Un Chien Andalou' in youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCEeAFeoRMs
I take it it's worth watching then? Bookmarked :)

and - I've just remembered - Méliès's 1902 'A Trip to the Moon',
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI9OaZHxk64&feature=related&pos=4
(can't find a version without narration)
I must say the editing and special effects really surprised me in this one!

Mark F.
06-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Un Chien andalou and L'Age d'or are both great but I think the second developes its esthetic a little more thanks to a longer running time.
Méliès' films are essential viewing and his use of special effects is groundbreaking, but he uses cinema more as an enhanced theatre stage (the single viewpoint of the audience) rather than as an art of its own.

DanielBenoit
09-07-2009, 02:06 AM
Probably every film mentioned so far is in one way or another a favorite of mine. There was so much creativity busrting around the silent world of cinema, that was a time in which Chaplin could go wild, and Eisenstein could push boundaries, and Dali could be as weird as possible, without big studio interference. In a sense, the silent era was cinema's golden age, because the film world was just developing and there weren't a ton of big companies to cash in and surpress art (not to say that studio films aren't art of course, they are just more conventional and populist than indie or foriegn films would be).

Anyway. Broken Blossems is another one by Griffith and it has to be the most despairing and heartbreaking film I have ever seen. . . . . just the sight of Lucy fills one's heart up with despair and sorrow. Even today, it is truly tough to watch.

I find it weird how after Griffith makes an overtly racist film (Birth of a Nation) that his worldview suddenly changes and he makes Intolerance and Broken Blossoms (which is about a Chineese man falling in love with a white girl, a very controversial subject for its time).

mona amon
09-07-2009, 11:48 AM
The only one I ever saw was Modern Times. I loved it! :)

Janine
09-07-2009, 04:19 PM
I love Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton movies! I love "City Lights" and "Modern Times" and I think my all-time favorite of Chaplin's is "The Kid". I have a small set of Buster Keaton films and think they are hilarious - what an acrobat! I will look all the ones up I own and also see if one can view them on Youtube. I love silent films myself. I just found a great book for 50 cents at my library of Cecille B. DeMille's films. Can't wait to pour over the photos.

Petrarch's Love
09-08-2009, 02:56 PM
What a great thread. I love silent films, and it would probably take much too long to list all my favorites. I had enjoyed some of the major silent classics that I could get hold of via video rental since I was in Junior High and then when I got Turner Classic Movies on cable watching the Sunday Silent Nights feature (which was on at 9:00 Pacific time, but I now have to tape to watch later at the 11:00 Central time in Chicago) really introduced--and still does introduce--me to a huge variety of silents. Netflix has since been a real additional boon.

In terms of my favorites, of course I've watched and enjoyed a lot of the great comedy trio: Chaplin, Keaton and Lloyd. My favorite Chaplin film has got to be City Lights, though I love a lot of them. Buster Keaton's sequence with the trains in The General is a classic and I love Steamboat Bill Jr. too. For those who haven't watched a lot of silents, Harold Lloyd's ascent of the building in Safety Last is a must see, though like Keaton and Chaplin, almost all his work is fantastic.

I went through a period when I was completely head over heels for Douglas Fairbanks Sr. and watched films like The Gaucho, Robin Hood and The Theif of Bagdad over and over thrilled by his acrobatic stunts and charming swashbuckling manner. His Wife, Mary Pickford was a prolific actress who played some memorable roles as well. Some of her best work is in her breakthrough role in Tess of the Storm Country (all melodrama at its finest, but the ending with the baptism in the church is a real tearjerker performance), her double role in Stella Maris (I didn't even know it was the same person in the two roles for the first part of the film) and Sparrows (with its harrowing depiction of the escape from the baby farm through the swamp). If pressed, I would probably have to give Lillian Gish my vote for favorite silent screen actress though. I just recently saw Griffith's Broken Blossom's for the second time which is, as Daniel posted above, a film with a very unusual subject matter for its time, and alternately unflinchingly brutal and tender. Gish's performance in that is just shattering. Other stand out performances by her that I can think of off the top of my head include, The Wind and The Scarlet Letter. In terms of another fantastic silent actor, John Barrymore gives some fabulous performances in films like Don Juan, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (definitely the best film adaptation of that story in my opinion), and Beau Brummel (that final scene, which is all Barrymore, is haunting).

People on this thread have already mentioned a lot of the good artistic films of the period: Nosferatu, Metropolis, The Cabinet of Doctor Kaligeri, Greed, etc. One less known silent that I was delighted to discover not too long ago is The Dragon Painter (1919), starring Sessue Hayakawa (best known to most audiences for his role as the Japanese prison commander in The Bridge on the River Kwai, but also a wonderful and dynamic young silent film actor). It's a beautiful film telling a Japanese love story/fairy tale about the love of a wild artist for a beautiful woman. The story is told with an elegant simplicity that allows the ruminations about love and artistic inspiration at the heart of the film to gently unfold, and the art direction, sets and scenery (the story is set in Japan but much of it was filmed with the granite cliff's of California's Yosemite valley as backdrop) are simply beautiful. The two leads, Hayakawa and his real life wife, Tsuru Aoki, are also beautiful people and fine actors with (obviously) great chemistry. If you're in the states I know you can get The Dragon Painter on Netflix, but I don't know if its available online except for this very brief clip of the beginning on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBTqEMcft8E

Thanks for the recommendation and the link, amarna. That was an incredible film, stunningly photographed and richly layered. As Brian said, words can't begin to describe, though that scene of the morning workers thronging through the streets near the beginning part did put me in mind of some lines from (with a little help from Dante) Eliot's "The Waste Land":

Unreal City,
Under the brown fog of a winter dawn,
A crowd flowed over London Bridge, so many,
I had not thought death had undone so many.
Sighs, short and infrequent, were exhaled,
And each man fixed his eyes before his feet.
Flowed up the hill and down King William Street,
To where Saint Mary Woolnoth kept the hours
With a dead sound on the final stroke of nine.

I suppose the London Eliot was describing in 1922 and the Berlin of 1927 were indeed near contemporaries.

top ten, one film per director.

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927) F. W. Murnau
Strike (1925) S. M. Eisenstein
The Cameraman (1928) E. Sedgwick & Buster Keaton
Pandora's Box (1929) G. W. Pabst
Cowards Bend the Knee (2003) G. Maddin
Intolerance (1916) D. W. Griffith
A Story of Floating Weeds (1934) Yasujiro Ozu

Thanks for the list, Mark F. Many of these I've seen, but I didn't know that Ozu had done a 1934 silent. I'll have to see about getting a copy of that.

Janine
09-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Petrarch, you have given us some great suggestions. I think I will copy out your post along with the quote of Mark F's, so that I can look these up online and maybe view some on Youtube. Glad you mentioned these; these are the films I own and love, too - Buster Keaton's The General and Steamboat Bill Jr.. I must get them out soon and rewatch those. They are classics.

mortalterror
09-10-2009, 02:12 AM
I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned The Passion of Joan of Arc (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLBn9KK2Ss0&feature=fvst) or The Man With the Movie Camera (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AInQ1x5_r3o)yet.

Emil Miller
09-11-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned The Passion of Joan of Arc (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLBn9KK2Ss0&feature=fvst) or The Man With the Movie Camera (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AInQ1x5_r3o)yet.

Fabulous camerawork in the Dreyer film and great performances.
The Russian film is an outstanding record of life in the fledgling Soviet Union, although given the apparent freedom to film it as the cameraman wanted it, one must question how much propaganda content it contains. Nevertheless, a brilliantly inventive work.

Mathor
09-11-2009, 03:33 PM
It's hard to pick between Metropolis, The Phantom of The Opera, and Nosferatu.

but i don't understand why no one has mentioned this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZdTdZviOQw

manolia
09-12-2009, 12:56 PM
It's hard to pick between Metropolis, The Phantom of The Opera, and Nosferatu.

but i don't understand why no one has mentioned this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZdTdZviOQw

I did a few posts back ;)

DonovanTalbot
07-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Nosferatu (1922) I love Herzog's remake better but this German classic stills stand the test of time.

The Phantom of the Opera (1925) Lon Chaney as Erik the Phantom.

The Unknown (1927) Directed by Tod Browning, starring Lon Chaney and Joan Crawford in a twisted circus grand guignol. It would later serve as a huge influence for another masterpiece, Alejandro Jodorowsky's Santa Sangre.

The Man Who Laughs (1928) Another twisted silent film, Conrad Veidt as the title character Gwynpaine was the inspiration for Batman's creator Bob Kane and Jerry Robinson's creation of The Joker.

Ms. Bungle
07-11-2010, 06:27 PM
That's a tough one. Despite being entirely mesmerized by Metropolis, I'm leaning also to such silliness as Buster Keaton's The Cameraman.

I would say A Fool There Was but my love of that has less to do with the filmmaking than the actress.

RobinHood3000
07-22-2010, 01:26 AM
I am absolutely enamored of Buster Keaton - cue shameless self-plug (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3WoXNVOvb8). "Sherlock, Jr." is indeed wonderful, although The General remains firmly in my mind as Keaton's masterpiece.

I recently saw the near-fully-restored version of Metropolis on a big screen with a full audience, and it was absolutely amazing.

I do hesitate to use the sentiment that's popped up once or twice in this thread already, that the early filmmakers were empirically superior to those today. I have to defer to Sturgeon's Law and the inevitability that the works of poorer quality fade away over time, leaving us with a somewhat stilted perception of that which remains.

JuniperWoolf
07-22-2010, 02:45 AM
I always thought that a modern film where no one talks might be cool. They could like, show inverbal interactions. Body language, reading facial expressions, little grunts and sighs, stuff like that.

Something like that must have been done, right?

Basil
07-23-2010, 02:33 AM
Something like that must have been done, right?

In 1956, the French short The Red Balloon won an Oscar for best original screenplay when the only words spoken in the movie (that I remember) were "Ballon! Ballon!".

qimissung
08-08-2010, 09:36 PM
God, I love Nosferatu and The Kid; and I adore Mary Pickford and Lilian Gish. I remember reading a biography of Mary Pickford as a child. Fascinating stuff.OH, AND Zorro with Douglas Fairbanks, Marh's hubby. Hilarious. I would love to see that one again.

DanielBenoit
08-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Considering that I believe 1928 to be the greatest year in movie history, I obviously have a love for the grand old silents, which in my opinion is the pure cinematic form, and cinema has never gotten more pure than Vertov's The Man with the Movie Camera.

Here's my list of the greatest silent films of all time with a * marking the features/shorts from 1928.

1. The Passion of Joan of Arc* - Carl Dreyer
2. The General - Buster Keaton
3. A Trip Down Market Street Before Fire / After Fire - Edison Studio's
4. Les Vampires - Louis Feuillade
5. Foolish Wives - Erich von Stroheim
6. Our Hospitality - Buster Keaton
7. The Fall of the House of Usher* - Jean Epstein
8. Metropolis - Fritz Lang
9. City Lights - Charlie Chaplin
10. The Man with the Movie Camera - Dziga Vertov
11. Sunrise - F.W. Murnau
12. The Cameraman* - Buster Keaton
13. Battleship Potemkin - Serigi Eisenstein
14. Broken Blossoms - D.W. Griffith
15. Sherlock Jr. - Buster Keaton
16. I Was Born But. . . - Yasujio Ozu
17. Steamboat Bill Jr.* - Buster Keaton
18. The Last Laugh - F.W. Murnau
19. October* - Serigi Eisenstein
20. Polizeibericht Überfall* - Erno Metzner
21. Earth - Alexander Dovzhenko
22. The Heart of the World - Guy Maddin
23. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - Robert Wiene
24. The Kid - Charlie Chaplin
25. Easy Street - Charlie Chaplin

Okay so I clearly have a bias for Buster Keaton.

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)

http://www.chud.com/articles/content_images/289/JoanOfArc7.jpg

The General (1927)

http://madamepickwickartblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/keaton2.JPG

A Trip Down Market Street Before Fire / After Fire (1905)

http://img.youtube.com/vi/IKRbTF5afSE/0.jpg

Les Vampires (1915)

http://www.cinemathequeontario.ca/blog/image.axd?picture=2009/5/Les+vampires-1.jpg

Foolish Wives (1922)

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_goOTcYF7VN4/S1zY3ES9hkI/AAAAAAAAEgw/t_dCuWg62Ao/s400/Foolish3.JPG

Our Hospitality (1923)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__uACkPWjuQU/SLDJ-ck6bXI/AAAAAAAAANA/BZQ3GlFV8WQ/s320/bkshake.jpg

The Fall of the House of Usher (1928)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VJm5pJCZxs8/SQCJNH-jHlI/AAAAAAAAAmw/fwbaJA2hQD8/s400/usher16.jpg

Metropolis (1927)

http://images.hollywood.com/site/metropolis_l.jpg

City Lights (1930)

http://generationfilm.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/chaplin.jpg?w=497&h=370

The Man with the Movie Camera (1929)

http://web.ceu.hu/urbanstudiesworkshop/graphics/vertov.jpg

Sunrise (1927)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_eCeLBv5lJdg/S0qMNwiaBhI/AAAAAAAAB0A/_EB9CEKkZ2I/s400/murnau-sunrise.jpg

The Battleship Potemkin (1925)

http://uashome.alaska.edu/~dfgriffin/website/potemkin.gif

Broken Blossoms (1919)

http://www.pianojazz.com/images/Broken_Blossoms1.jpg

Sherlock Jr. (1924)

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l2702wv2kP1qasz79o1_500.jpg

I Was Born But. . . (1932)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KvTqxacxE3A/SMMhP9yuIuI/AAAAAAAAAL0/zai8Iz7EsXk/s400/0809_OZU_umarete.jpg

Steamboat Bill Jr (1928)

http://www.sheilaomalley.com/archives/keaton.jpg

The Last Laugh (1924)

http://misterjiggy.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/murnau_lastlaugh_2.jpg

October (1928)

http://filmsdefrance.com/img/October_1.jpg

Polizeibericht Überfall (1928)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4Oy_7FFvAeg/TCrnbNUznAI/AAAAAAAAH5g/97e0zRIO8F4/s1600/Metzner.+Attack.+double+simple.png

Earth (1930)

http://www.filmreference.com/images/sjff_01_img0550.jpg

The Heart of the World (2000)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8QDRVmxfgk4/S4Wux4loW1I/AAAAAAAAAV0/muEl-PuLDkM/s400/maddin-2000-the-heart-of-the-world.jpg

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)

http://www.grayclouds.net/adam/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/nightmare.jpeg

The Kid (1921)

http://www.comentaomuere.com/wp-content/uploads/chaplin_the_kid.jpg

Easy Street (1917)

http://www.clown-ministry.com/images/eric-campbell.jpg