PDA

View Full Version : Tigana - Guy Gavriel Kay

Seraphina
06-07-2009, 10:46 AM
This is my favourite book in the world :)

Kay is not an author I'd ever heard of before, and Tigana was one of my 'intuition buys' (where a book I have no knowledge of just goes 'oo, buy me!' So far these buys have always lead to something awesome :) ). Whilst investigating him a bit, I discovered he was a prodigy of Tolkein, which got me rather excited. Then I discovered he worked with Christopher Tolkein on the Silmarilion. Very excited by that point.

Tigana, then. It's a fantasy novel, and has the usual sorcery, historically influenced setting (medieval Italy in this case), and a band of characters on a noble quest with the odds stacked against them. Where Tigana really stands out from standard fantasy fare is with the themes is tackles. Tigana tosses out the generic evil villain and noble hero, and instead takes a jaunt firmly into the grey area, investigating all the various moral shades of humanity (something being done with equal success now by Steven Erikson, I find). With the exception of one character (Alberico of Barbadior, not a very nice man and entirely motivated by greed, without any redeeming features), there are no two dimensional plot devices in this book. Infact, its main strength is without a doubt the characters. Both the 'good' and the 'bad' have their qualities and their flaws, many of them progress to become better, or worse, people, and most importantly of all, they are human. This is most triumphantly achieved in Dianora and Brandin.

The plot begins with two sorcerers, Brandin of Ygrath and Alberico of Barbadior, conquering half each of the Palm (the land it is set in). Alberico does it out of greed, Brandin does it to give his favourite younger son a kingdom to rule himself. Whilst conquering the province of Tigana, his son is killed by the Prince of Tigana. In vengeance, Brandin utterly smashes the province, then wipes its name from anyone not born in Tigana before he casts the spell, renaming it Lower Corte. The spell will last until he breaks it, or dies. The story thereafter follows various efforts, mainly from people from Tigana, to overthrow both tyrants and restore Tigana.

The story is told in seperate parts, half following a group working to restore Tigana, and half following Dianora's one woman efforts to do the same. Personally I favoured Dianora's parts. The group tale, told from Devin's point of view, whilst very enjoyable, doesn't quite strike the same chord. But maybe that's just me, Devin's tale is generally much more positive, whereas Dianora's is entirely tragic, and that plays to my personal preferences.

Dianora works to get herself selected for Brandin's saishan (basically a harem), and then works on getting close enough to assassinate him. However, the man she comes to know isn't a ruthless brutal tyrant. He's a passionate, gentle man, who commited a terrible act out of revenge for his beloved son. Whilst not pardonable, it is easy to sympathise with Brandin's motives. He feels no remorse over what he has done to Tigana, but he is tortured by the loss of his son. Dianora falls in love with Brandin, and he with her; what makes their story all the more tragic is Dianora's happiness is constantly tainted by the knowledge that she must either betray the man she loves or her homeland and her people. Whilst really caring about Tigana's crusaders being successful, you also find yourself really wanting Brandin to continue to rule as well.

The writing style is beautiful, and very easy to flow through, unlike some fantasy which I find can be so determined to sound high brow it comes across very clunky. The universe Kay creates is fascinating, along with the religious aspects and related myths. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes their literary diet to contain some depth, even if they're not really into fantasy.

The Comedian
06-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Excellent review Seraphina. I also enjoy a good fantasy read, and you've put another on my list with this excellent review. Thanks for posting it.

Good Hunting!

:)

JBI
06-07-2009, 09:14 PM
I found it interesting - certainly you can see Kay begin to become a novelist, though I don't think his really strong voice really solidifies until A Song for Arbonne, which really shows his descent into a mature narrative voice. Ultimately, the styllistics of narrative seem to be somewhat flawed within this text, though in terms of content, I think he does a good job of creating a believable world and characters, but still, I can't help but find the actual text becomes too didactic in places, and too unnatural; the speech patterns didn't feel like dialogues, but sermons much of the time, and the characters were prone to long monologues as a way of infodumping the details of the plot.

I thought the female narrative somewhat stronger than the male one, though, from people I know who have read it, most disagree. Really though, if you like this, keep going and read Arbonne, it is a great book in its way.

amalia1985
06-08-2009, 06:40 AM
I agree with JBI. The female voice is stronger, more vivid and more interesting. I really enjoyed reading Tigana, as well as A Song For Arbonne, and The Lions Of Al- Rashan. I think that Tigana is an interesting allegory of the struggle for freedom and peace, while the blending of the myths and the descriptions of the daily life in the cities, the palaces, the temples, makes some parts of the book really fascinating.

Seraphina
06-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Seems as I'm in Britain and his works are out of print here, I've only been able to find Tigana and Last Light of the Sun. My opinion of LLotS wasn't as positive as that of Tigana, but mostly I attribute that to the difference in story style (whilst Tigana tells a set tale, LLotS seems to just be a random slice out of the character's lives). I have been looking for his other works, though, and I fully intend to read the others :)

susan_p
07-23-2009, 12:41 AM
I had stumbled upon some of GGK's works through a site listing some of his influences (infloox.com) and was very interested to see that he had collaborated with Christopher Tolkien. Had heard rumblings about a film being based on LLotS a while ago, but haven't seen anything about it lately. In any case, it should definitely deserve some big budget epic movie treatment!