PDA

View Full Version : The Maine Woods by Henry Thoreau

The Comedian
06-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Having read all of Thoreau's other works, I came to The Maine Woods to finish my work of reading his canon. I wish I had come to this book earlier. It easily offers, next to the peerless Walden, some of Thoreau's finest prose and observations of his world.

The Maine Woods is comprised of three chapters, "Katadin," "Chesuncook," and "The Allegash and the East Branch" each of which documents a different trip the Maine woods. (These trips, I should note, are not all terrestrial sauntering; two are canoe trips, primarily). Adding interest to the structure of the book is that each trip occurs over the same geographical area of the Maine woods and, in total, the book spans a time period of ten years -- the chapters/trips roughly evenly spaced out in this time. This structure allows the reader (and Thoreau himself) to observe that changes that have occurred in the area over a considerable amount of time.

Thematically the work deals with the complicated relationship of humanity and the landscape, the timber industry, hunting. . . . the effluvial nature of "wilderness" & co. Interestingly on each trip, Thoreau and his companion hire a different Indian guide, which allows him to comment on and observe the native cultures and individuals with his tender, honest, and naturalist eye that, for this reader, is still unmatched in environmental writing.

The prose is remarkable -- poignant, witty, simple, funny, beautiful.

There is the light-hearted wit: "Red flannel shirts should be worn in the woods if only for the fine contrast which this color makes with the evergreens and the water."

And there is magical writing like this: "If I wished to see a mountain or other scenery under the most favorable of auspices, I would go to it in foul weather, so as to be there when it cleared up; we are then in the most suitable mood, and nature is most fresh and inspiring. There is no serenity so fair as that which has just established itself in a tearful eye."

And, yes, there are Thoreau's countless list of trees, flowers, and scrubs with their Latin names and paragraphs of description given about their appearance, habitat, and value.

. . . . . . .

For me, the best books change our lives -- either in a small way or a big way. After I finished The Maine Woods , I spent the next two days identifying every tree and shrub around my house -- I took my oldest daughter along to help me distinguish between Red Maples (leaves 3-5 lobes, shallow notches between each lobe) and Silver Maples (leaves 5-7 lobes, deep narrow notches between each lobe). Together, we also found jack pines, red pines, white pines, alternate-leaf dogwoods, black spruce, red oak, viburnum, and others.

But more than helping me to better understand the woods around my house, The Maine Woods refreshed my attention to detail; it brought heightened value and mystery to the life around me that, for too long, I had passed as a stranger and wrongly called "friend" (for friends require understanding). I now take more time to understand the wilderness that I share with my family and I refresh my spirit there daily, if not hourly.

Overall rating of The Maine Woods: 10 chiogenes hispidula (creeping cherry) leaves out of a possible 10.

AuntShecky
06-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Thank you for writing and posting this. I hope you get a chance
to get yourself outside to enjoy nature.

jinjang
06-06-2009, 02:57 AM
Your review is so good that I am definitely putting that one to my reading list near the top.

Having read all of Thoreau's other works, I came to The Maine Woods to finish my work of reading his canon.
I do the same! Once a book impresses me, I would search out and read all the others by the same author.

I took my oldest daughter along to help me distinguish between Red Maples (leaves 3-5 lobes, shallow notches between each lobe) and Silver Maples (leaves 5-7 lobes, deep narrow notches between each lobe). Together, we also found jack pines, red pines, white pines, alternate-leaf dogwoods, black spruce, red oak, viburnum, and others.

I envy you for your proximity to such nature!

The Comedian
06-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks for your kind words.

jinjang
06-22-2009, 01:16 AM
You are right it is a fascinating book! With a list of suggested books in the forum, I was browsing several books in a book store. I read introduction or a few pages of each book. I am very glad I chose The Maine Woods.
I got hooked on the book with the same quote as yours:

If I wished to see a mountain or other scenery under the most favorable of auspices, I would go to it in foul weather, so as to be there when it cleared up; we are then in the most suitable mood, and nature is most fresh and inspiring. There is no serenity so fair as that which has just established itself in a tearful eye.
When he found a piece of phosphorescent wood (dead moose-wood (Acer striatum)), the magic of the book is at work and I smile at his words. His writing grabs you with details of nature and Indians.

I was in just the frame of mind to see something wonderful, and this was a phenomenon adequate to my circumstances and expectation, and it put me on the alert to see more like it. I exulted… I let science slide, and rejoiced in that light…
It made a believer of me more than before. I believed that the woods were not tenantless, but choke-full of honest spirits as good as myself any day, - not an empty chamber, in which chemistry was left to work alone, but an inhabited house, - and for a few moment I enjoyed fellowship with them.
I so miss mountains and their foliage. I have been to The Olympic Mountains, The Great Smokey Mountains, The Washington Cascades, Columbia Mountains, many Korean mountains, but I have never been in Maine. It will be my next mountain excursion.

I also loved the part when Polis can read the nature like a book. He can smell, feel the wind, use instinct like wild animals to find his way in nature. He is as captivating as phosphorescent wood!

It will be slow reading because of my busy schedule at the moment, but it sure will give me a break to which I can look forward.